Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Kristina said:
I feel more giddy getting new tortoises, lol, but I get you all the same ;) You should have them Monday.

KRISTINA!! When you said you were going to send me some to try, I thought in a regular envelope, you would be sending me a few pellets. Instead I get this nice box in the mail, with an entire unopened package of pellets in it! Tho I think your kinda crazy to have sent me all those instead of keeping them for your own use, I love ya for it! As soon as I get some cash, I will be sending you the money to cover that postage atleast.

I did try them on them today, while they were soaking. I unfortunately got busy with other things, so didn't get to watch them closely to see if they ate any. From the looks of things, I would guess no. Will keep on trying.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Don't worry about it ;) Consider it a Christmas present!

I still have 3lbs of it left around here... someone has to use it, lol. Hopefully it works out for you!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well back from the store and no sprouts. :( I really didn't think I would find any around here. However, it is on my list when I go to Lincoln to see Jeff. Just like more Red wigglers worms. Hope Jeff ends up coming thru during business hours and that they have some in stock. :cool:

I did get a kiwi and a mango to try. :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kristina said:
Have you tried Mazuri?

Yes and even some with babyfood carrot in it. That didn't go over either. I may try it with banana, as they both liked the banana the day I offered it. Just am not wanting them to get to like banana too much, but mixed with Mazuri would atleast give a little good with the candy. I did pick up two bananas today too. Also am planning on trying MAzuri and sweet tater, as one did eat sweet tater. :D

I'll be trying papaya soon too, just were none at the store today. They also turned up their noses at plums and mushrooms sometime in the last few days. Sure am glad I always have somebody who will eat what they don't.

I swear those two little brats are snickering every time I walk by. :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They probably are. This is driving me crazy, lol, and they aren't even mine :p

Got any isopods? LOL you are going to get sick of my questions, aren't yuh? ;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kristina said:
They probably are. This is driving me crazy, lol, and they aren't even mine :p

Got any isopods? LOL you are going to get sick of my questions, aren't yuh? ;)

Hey two minds are better then one. No isopods. I have looked a bit, but timing for hunting for them is not prime. This weekend things should thaw enough to give another look.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
If you don't find any, let me know. I have a HUGE colony and could spare a starter colony for you ;) If I would have thought of it I would have stuck some in the other box, lol.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
So freaking adorable!!!!

That little one eats more than my adult! Picky, picky things!!! Though we are probably the crazy ones for catering to them, but who can resist their cute little faces!!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This mornings choices were red wigglers, the sprouts, and smushed banana. Today's worms were left alive to go with the movement appeal. They were first soaked in carrot baby food, then offered the food. Their "watering hole" was given a couple of those pellets of Kristine's.

Once placed along side of their feed dish...

Gobbler (the small one) immediately zeroed in on the biggest worm. It was a hard battle, but in the end the worm walked...ummm crawled away the winner. :( It was funny after the "battle" Gobbler sat for a bit with his head raised and his eyes (atleast the one closest to me) closed. Finally he opened them.

Gobbler looked around and spied the small worm moving under the edge of the sprouts. He moved in and ever so carefully got his head bent to just the right angle and snap. He managed to hook two sprouts and the worm. The worm however, managed to quickly slide out of his mouth, as poor Gobbler contemplated what to do with the sprouts. He tried biting them, but couldn't quite manage or the flavor wasn't to his liking. Remembering what legs are good for, he used one to wipe his face and dislodge the bigger sprout. Then he sorta turn away from the food and sat with that raised head/closed eye thing for a bit... only this time he had a sprout hanging from his mouth. Eventually he came out of his trance, removed the sprout and start considering tactics for getting that little worm that had just crawled under him...

Meanwhile back at the food dish, Turkey had sat there patiently watching the entire scene with such a blank look. He watched the big worm crawl under the watering hole. Finally he stretched out his neck and started smelling. Something sweet caught his eyes and nose. Stretch went his neck even further. Finally he realized that he had to move his little behind, if he wanted to try some of that creamy sweetness. He moved a bit closer to the feed dish and tried leaning into the dish as he stretched. Darn still no go! :( So he took one more step and started to do a nose dive right into the banana puddle. Can you imagine banana going up your nose???? :D Well neither could Turkey, for in the last second he pulled back his neck just enough for his face to not end up wearing a banana mask.

Once he was down next to the banana, I saw Turkey do atleast eight big wide open mouth fulls of the luscious, but habit forming mush. He even checked out how he would look with a beard. He decided the look was not for him and wiped the banana off his chin.

So Turkey is doing atleast his second known eating, but once more just banana. :( Of course, there was only maybe a small tablespoon of banana and even with all those mouthfuls, it never changed the look of the pile size, so his actual amount eaten was very very tiny. Meanwhile Gobbler is busy atleast trying to gobble up everything offered.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what about brine shrimp? or tubliflex worms? you can get them live of freeze dried.. but live might entice them, and its small...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
There is actually almost no nutrition in freeze tried brine or tubifex... might be counter-productive. Frozen spirulina brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms would be good to try though.

Live brine shrimp literally loose half their nutrition every hour from the time they hatch. They are so tiny as hatchlings, I just don't think it would work. The frozen with spirulina has added nutrients though.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think Turkey may have finally crossed her hump. After their long carrot soak, I placed them next to a mush of banana and Mazuri. Rather quickly, they were both munching down. :D Hopefully soon I can get Turkey off her banana habit and on to foods not mushed up with banana. :cool: But the key and important thing is, she is eagerly eating... finally!! :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
FANTASTIC! That is great to hear! Plus, if she gets a taste for the Mazuri, a little mazuri coating goes a long way as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.