Sleepy Russian tortoise

Milinda

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, California
Hi everyone, I purchased a two year old Russian tortoise about two months ago from a man who bred a few in his back yard. The tortoise seems healthy and has clear eyes and a clean beak. It eats quite a bit. I think I have the cage set up pretty well with a mercury vapor bulb at one end of a large cement mixing tray for the tortoise. The problem is that it gets up in the morning, eats, walks around for about an hour or so, then goes to sleep all day under a log. This does not seem like normal behavior to me. Could it be too cold? Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Its the slow down season for russians. Hibernation time. I do not hibernate mine so everyday for the past month I dig her out in the morning and put her under her light. In the early eve, after work I soak her in warm water under her light for about 20 mins. Then I hand feed her to make sure she eats. Its a labor of love ;)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yep. I don't hibernate either, but russian torts still feel like it's time to bed down at this time of year, whether you want them to or not. :D
Every morning I have to wake him up, wake him up to feed, soak, and I have to be extra careful to make he poops and pees normally. In a few months he'll be right back to normal, and you'll never even be able to tell it happened!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Its the slow down season for russians. Hibernation time. I do not hibernate mine so everyday for the past month I dig her out in the morning and put her under her light. In the early eve, after work I soak her in warm water under her light for about 20 mins. Then I hand feed her to make sure she eats. Its a labor of love ;)
The things we will do! :rolleyes:;):p

Milinda

Los Angeles, California
Thanks so much for your advice. It did make me feel better!

Milinda

Los Angeles, California
Yep. I don't hibernate either, but russian torts still feel like it's time to bed down at this time of year, whether you want them to or not. :D
Every morning I have to wake him up, wake him up to feed, soak, and I have to be extra careful to make he poops and pees normally. In a few months he'll be right back to normal, and you'll never even be able to tell it happened!
Thanks so much for your advice. It did make me feel better!