Slight Problem ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zgoldsmith23

5 Year Member
Hey guys, so I began setting up my baby RF tortoise tub today and I ran into a slight problem. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot first and asked them for some of the plants from the "Edible Safe Plant List" I found online. Neither one of them had ANY, yes ANY, of these plants. Then, I went to my local nurseries ... same result ... no bushes, flowers, succulents, or clovers. I have one more store tomorrow but, in case I am unable to find any, what do you guys recommend? I have easy access to Collard, Mustard, Turnip Greens, Escarole, etc but, I do not feel that this is a suitable diet. Any ideas?

Thanks so much,
ZG

P.S. Little guy is getting here Wednesday!!!!!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I'm a little confused by your post so let me ask you, are you planning on just planting these plants so your Redfoot can eat them or so he'll have some place to hide or what? :)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Live plants in the enclosure aren't necessary, just a nice feature. I am really suprised that Lowe's and Home Depot don't have anything... Must be the season... Where are you from? What plants did you ask them about specifically?

zgoldsmith23

5 Year Member
Sorry, I forgot to say what exactly I was asking. I will be using these for hides and for something "extra" the tort can graze on but I will offer food.

I'm in Memphis, TN and it's "kind of" cold but still ... I asked about:

-Hibiscus
-Hostas
-Sedum
-Mulberry
-Endive
-Clovers
-Day lillies
-Honeysuckle
-Geranium
-Pansies
-Chickweed
-Chrysanthemum
-Dayflowers

Abosuletely NOTHING

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Those are all great choices. I could never find them here at this time of the year either. But...in the Spring all these plants should be available. In the meantime if you want to start some planting, get some seeds...spring mix seeds are great, but can only be planted inside now. My Cherry head used to really go for all those little sprouts. Is this an outdoor enclosure? If you're looking to plant something indoors, just get some little tropical plants.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Grape leaves.. Hibiscus leaves/flowers.. Dandelion leaves.. Curly endive..
Escarole and Turnip greens { pretty much in that order have the highest calcium % and fibre content } --- anything else is a waste in comparison --- AND are the only greens I have ever fed ever!

They are never bored with that variety.. and have thrived well enough to make babies after 10+ years of it. [ sometimes only 1 or 2 of those for months.. especially this time of year -- they don't mind ] FWIW

NERD

While I was typing [ about 3 words a minute ] these other replies showed up.

Follow the appropriate "Housing, etc." page.. http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm

zgoldsmith23

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! I have been following the housing and have been setting this up for a while now. I'll post pics soon enough.

This will be an indoors enclosure, at least, for now. What are some of the tropical plants you would recommend?

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
You should leave any plants recently purchased out of the enclosure, or at best
repot them etc., because they'll be full of pesticides and fertilizers.
I'm not exactly sure of the time frame to wait til using them in the enclosure, but I've been waiting
at least three months.

Status
Not open for further replies.