something even stranger is going on....

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
I mentioned my "Magical baby" in my last thread...my egg I have in the incubator. Well, I thought I'd throw this out there to see what kind of responses I get.
I have ONE MAGIC EGG in the incubator. This time last year I had 84 EGGS in my 3 incubators. Had
an 80% hatch rate...good times:)
Soooooooooo....what the H...???
ANYONE???
No changes other than adding some newbies and expanding their enclosures. Everyone is happy, healthy, and mating....my X fiance swears it's because we broke up lol.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
I have several adults that produce. This time last year I had 84 eggs in my incubators. And now I only have one lol. Bad luck I guess. No changes other than opening up their enclosures, adding a few more plants, and I did end up getting 3 new RF adults that I added into the group after 6 months quarantining. Been feeding the same food, soaking etc... all I can think of is that we didn't really get a "summer". It's been pretty cool here considering last summer was above 90 all summer.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I would go with the expanding of the enclosures. Maybe the change stressed them a bit. Also the new additions of tortoises could have something to do with it.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
And no, no one's showing signs of egg bound. They have plenty of proper nesting sights:) Other than the 3 newbies, my torts have been with me for years:)
I'm not worried, I'm just stumped. As I said before they are all happy and healthy.... doing what they do:)

turtlemanfla88

I agree i think is it the three new ones. next year I would not add any new animals and see what happens.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
They might be adjusting to the changes you made, even if they didn't seem like much. Three new torts to get used too might be affecting your females... maybe not comfortable laying eggs yet?

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
They are all (10) in a 100 ft by 40 ft enclosure outside. They really never "run into each other". The 3 newbies mate with each other. I haven't caught the newbie male after my other females. I'm home 24/7 and I'm pretty good with observation/paying close attention, but who knows. The weird part of it is is that 5 of my females were digging test holes (inside) in April right before I let them out. Then I let them out for spring and.... nothing.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Found a test hole this am;)...BTW, I didn't have 10 RFs laying 84 eggs last year lol. I included my sulcata eggs too....

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
My Sulcata skipped this year. She laid nothing. But she was moved into a newer building with a much larger winter barn. Redfoots, sulcatas, and any species will do this. If anything new is added they can feel insecure with the current surroundings they're found in. Even if it is a a new tortoise. They need to feel secure to lay. Adding plants, larger area, and more tortoises is part of the egg cycle that seemed to be broken. But also have you kept an eye on them at night? I've missed numerous Redfoot clutches the past years when they're outside. They can and will lay them very late at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm too lazy to find your other threads to see what specie of tortoise we're talking about here, but I'll give you my two cents on the Manouria. I have found that my Manouria don't nest if I've changed their habitat. And they don't nest if I've moved them. Now that their lives have been stable for several years, I've found that they nest every other year.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
My Sulcata skipped this year. She laid nothing. But she was moved into a newer building with a much larger winter barn. Redfoots, sulcatas, and any species will do this. If anything new is added they can feel insecure with the current surroundings they're found in. Even if it is a a new tortoise. They need to feel secure to lay. Adding plants, larger area, and more tortoises is part of the egg cycle that seemed to be broken. But also have you kept an eye on them at night? I've missed numerous Redfoot clutches the past years when they're outside. They can and will lay them very late at night.
Well well well..... that all seems to be what happened then. Hmmmmmm....I always try and "upgrade" lol. Didn't think it would throw their laying off this much. Thank u for the info. Wow. And no, once it's dark and everyone is asleep, I don't go back out and check. Maybe I missed some. Damn... they'll actually wake up and sneak out and lay? Interesting lol:) sneaky torts ;)

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
I'm too lazy to find your other threads to see what specie of tortoise we're talking about here, but I'll give you my two cents on the Manouria. I have found that my Manouria don't nest if I've changed their habitat. And they don't nest if I've moved them. Now that their lives have been stable for several years, I've found that they nest every other year.
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Then I think I found the problem.....its "I'm anal" lol;)
I'm always improving and expanding.