Pangolin123

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello

We bought Tolstoy from a breeder, as he had some juvenile Horsfields for sale and we liked their smallness and hardiness. All the research we did to look after a tort was based on this breed. When the tortoise was delayed the guy offered us a Hermanns instead, ready to go. We said no, we'll wait for the young Horsfields. The tort came not long after that, but it came with a Hermanns license paper. We checked the tortoise and as he was very small and we weren't sure what markings he should have we just checked his toes. He has four on the front, as Horsfields are said to, so we thought ah well, he must have sent the right tortoise with the wrong papers.
Since then, I have been to parks and zoos and pet shops, and occasionally there are tortoises ... and I notice my Tolstoy doesn't look like the young russian/horsfield torts, he looks more like the Hermanns with the darkness of his face and the colouration of his shell.
That said, he definitely has four toes.
Can anyone look at the pictures and advise what it is I have exactly so I can give him the best care possible? He's a healthy, happy little thing, I don't mind what he is so long as I know!
Sorry for the blur. When he gets out the bath he likes to stretch his legs and have a walk.

tort6.jpg tort.jpg tort2.jpg tort3.jpg tort4.jpg tort5.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yep I agree Hermanns, definitely not a Horsefield.

Pangolin123

UK
Hermanns.
For sure not the Russian you wanted. However care is the same.

Thank you for helping. I will be sure to re-read all my info regarding Hermanns as well. Do you know why he would only have four claws on his feet?