Suggestions needed for star habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

locado999

5 Year Member
HI bros and experts!!!!!!!!! I'm from INDIA. I have 2 Indian stars. I kept them inside home in a glass enclosure(4 feet by 2 feet). I placed newspapers at the bottom for now. Help me to build live home for them with the materials available in India and show some pictures related to them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Suggestions needed!!!!!!!

Are you looking for suggestions to build an indoor habitat for the tortoise, or something that's going to be outside?

locado999

5 Year Member
RE: Suggestions needed!!!!!!!

emysemys said:
Are you looking for suggestions to build an indoor habitat for the tortoise, or something that's going to be outside?

yeah. I'm looking for inside habitat

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Hi Locado!

I'm just starting out with my little star (his name is kitten) but cypress mulch has worked well for me so far! I know lots of people use damp newspapers or towels when they are little babies though. I have a glass tank too, I just put some aquarium paper around it so he can't see out. Can you show us some pictures of what you have so far? My little guy really likes having a little house to sleep in, do you have hides for them? I just used empty juice containers for mine (I can take a picture when I get home).

I'm going to be planting some grass and cactus soon in his tank too!

Here is Kitten:

download.jpg

download 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

locado999

5 Year Member
Redari said:
Hi Locado!

I'm just starting out with my little star (his name is kitten) but cypress mulch has worked well for me so far! I know lots of people use damp newspapers or towels when they are little babies though. I have a glass tank too, I just put some aquarium paper around it so he can't see out. Can you show us some pictures of what you have so far? My little guy really likes having a little house to sleep in, do you have hides for them? I just used empty juice containers for mine (I can take a picture when I get home).

Here is Kitten:

Bro. I'm from India. cypress trees are not available here. I need to know proper substrate that is available in India. I planned to get some wood mulch from a local carpenter shop. I don't know if I'm correct. Also I'm placing some red soil available here and sand.

No Indian senior member or expert available here in this forum???????????????? Guide me guys(my buddies are still homeless)!!!!!!

Redari said:
Hi Locado!

Here is Kitten:

This is my tank(4feet X 2feet)and setup for now. How can I make this into a habitat. suggest me!

Attachments

• totu.JPG
    totu.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 42

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
locado999 said:
Also I'm placing some red soil available here and sand.

Natural dirt makes a fantastic substrate. You can just dig some up and put it in the enclosure. Of course, make sure it hasn't been sprayed with insecticide or anything toxic.

There are tons of pictures of indoor enclosures on this forum if you search around. The materials may not be identical, but you can improvise.

How much space do you have to build an enclosure?

locado999 said:
No Indian senior member or expert available here in this forum????????????????

We do have other members from India. Hopefully someone will come along soon to offer advise.

locado999

5 Year Member
mctlong said:
locado999 said:
Also I'm placing some red soil available here and sand.

Natural dirt makes a fantastic substrate. You can just dig some up and put it in the enclosure. Of course, make sure it hasn't been sprayed with insecticide or anything toxic.

There are tons of pictures of indoor enclosures on this forum if you search around. The materials may not be identical, but you can improvise.

How much space do you have to build an enclosure?

locado999 said:
No Indian senior member or expert available here in this forum????????????????

We do have other members from India. Hopefully someone will come along soon to offer advise.

I'm having a glass tank sized 4 feet X 2 feet

Attachments

• totu.JPG
    totu.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 23

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Old bookcases, tables, cabinets...there tons of stuff you can modify to work. As far as building materials, if you have access to a mill with sawdust, they've gotta have milled wood of some sort if you want to start from scratch.

locado999

5 Year Member
Finally finished basic setup after 6 hours of work.
Provided 2 hideouts. RED soil on one side and wood mulch on the other.
How is it guys? Suggest me modifications if needed.
Forum helped me a lot.
And these are my tots.

Attachments

• tothome.JPG
    tothome.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 40
  • tt3.JPG
    tt3.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 30

Abee

5 Year Member
locado999 said:
Forum helped me a lot.
And these are my tots.

You can have few live plants and weed inside your tank and hide outs ..you can use broken 'matkas' or 'Gamlas'--hindi words-- for everyone..Matka is used for keeping water and gamla is used for holding soil for growing plants...both are made up of clay..ideal for a humid hide..

You can also have a section for sand and see if they like it...remeber food should always be kept on a ceramic tile or separate tray to avoid injestion of undue stuff

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Michigan
Are those rocks in your tank? If they are rocks then you should get rid of them, so that your tortoises don't swallow any .

patilraosaheb

5 Year Member
Great .. From looking stars.. I am from Pune, from where are you?

Will PM you some ideas to make a home for them.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
locado999 said:
Forum helped me a lot.
And these are my tots.

from the pic it looks like you are feeding them "kakdi" the thin cucumber variety i guess???? correct me if i'm wrong on that....

but if i'm right then you should give them "kheera" the "fat one" cucumber or should i say the normal/ideal cucumber and if the green leaves are spinach then better avoid them as they are high in proteins..... regarding the setup.... it's nice but too monotonic/ i mean you should plant live plants and i know it's hard to acquire UVB lamps in india(even i struggled hard to find one but no success yet) you should let them have access to unfiltered sunlight atleast for 4-5 hours and don't forget the calcium supplement as they are young..... for the calcium you can either buy calcium supplement for babies (tablets) from medical store or you can buy calcium carbonate ( "chunna" powder which is safe for human consumption) and sprinkle it on the food twice a week....
and you can give them hibiscus leaves and flower, cilantro(Dhania), fenugreek(methi ke patte), radish greens(mulli ke patte)
and don't forget the daily lukewarm water soaks
i hope this helps.... :) :) :)

by the way where did you get them/buy them and where are you from ???

Status
Not open for further replies.