Temp/Humidity measurements

Henry’s mom

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Hi. I’m working on a new enclosure and reading different posts I want to make sure I’m putting things in the right and safest places.

I have a thermostat with a probe that I’ll place farthest away from the CHE and a temp gun I can check all areas. I have two little digital thermometerhygrometer that Velcro to the side so I can place them anywhere (not sure best location yet?) and I also have a thermometer/hygrometer that has one probe for each.

My first and maybe most important question is if I put them either in the substrate (I’ve read yes and no on this) or just above at his level how would I keep him from biting on it and electrocuting himself? He likes to bite everything to check it out. Second what location would you recommend I put those two probes? Also I read that they shouldn’t get wet to read correctly but I mist and may set one on a timer occasionally throughout the day depending on how the humidity is.

It seems that for both the basking light and Che that it’s either too hot underneath or not warm enough on the cool side or for ambient temperature. When I raise the lighting will this be corrected in the new greenhouse enclosure or am I doing something wrong with this? Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think if tou post pics of the enclosure we can better help where to place things.
Either way, tort level. Raise heat/lights to adjust if too hot.
Do not put probes in substrate they also go at tort level.

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
I think if tou post pics of the enclosure we can better help where to place things.
Either way, tort level. Raise heat/lights to adjust if too hot.
Do not put probes in substrate they also go at tort level.
I’ll definitely post a pic when I get it close to ready tomorrow. What about him biting the cords?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The cords and him biting them, well not sure. Tou could try taking them with black tape to the side or maybe even cut
slit down some plastic straws and slip them over the cord?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. I’m working on a new enclosure and reading different posts I want to make sure I’m putting things in the right and safest places.

I have a thermostat with a probe that I’ll place farthest away from the CHE and a temp gun I can check all areas. I have two little digital thermometerhygrometer that Velcro to the side so I can place them anywhere (not sure best location yet?) and I also have a thermometer/hygrometer that has one probe for each.

My first and maybe most important question is if I put them either in the substrate (I’ve read yes and no on this) or just above at his level how would I keep him from biting on it and electrocuting himself? He likes to bite everything to check it out. Second what location would you recommend I put those two probes? Also I read that they shouldn’t get wet to read correctly but I mist and may set one on a timer occasionally throughout the day depending on how the humidity is.

It seems that for both the basking light and Che that it’s either too hot underneath or not warm enough on the cool side or for ambient temperature. When I raise the lighting will this be corrected in the new greenhouse enclosure or am I doing something wrong with this? Thank you!
What species of tortoise? What size? Open topped enclosure or closed chamber?

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
What species of tortoise? What size? Open topped enclosure or closed chamber?
Hi Tom. He’s the 5.5 mos sulcata. I’m building the “more” closed chamber? I’m building the raised bed with the greenhouse cover that came yesterday instead of the tort table I’ve been using. He’s been 36g the last two weeks since I’ve had a scale and he’s been sick. He’s started getting a lot better since getting a good mister, covering with aluminum foil, and daily baby food soaks for over a week but can’t wait to get him all settled in his new house.

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
The cords and him biting them, well not sure. Tou could try taking them with black tape to the side or maybe even cut
slit down some plastic straws and slip them over the cord?
That’s a good idea with the straws if needed. 3 of the 4 probes have little suction cups if I could stick them to something higher where he couldn’t reach but wasn’t sure if that was low enough for a good reading. Since the walls will be liner on an unsmooth surface (I make up words lol) I think I’d have to get something to suction them to.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I’ll definitely post a pic when I get it close to ready tomorrow. What about him biting the cords?
I've always had temp probes hanging down in the enclosures within easy tortoise reach and never have had an issue with them biting the cords. Sulcatas, Leopards, Burmese Stars, Galapagos, Pancakes, Egyptians, Spiders. No damaged probes or wires.

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
I've always had temp probes hanging down in the enclosures within easy tortoise reach and never have had an issue with them biting the cords. Sulcatas, Leopards, Burmese Stars, Galapagos, Pancakes, Egyptians, Spiders. No damaged probes or wires.
Hmm. Ok good to know. It surprised me when I just sat a little digital one at his level and he hasn’t bothered it much so maybe if I just watch him a while. I would just be heartbroken if he electrocuted himself.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh any thoughts on them getting wet when I mist?
MIsting does not damage them Immersion can depending upon the type you are using. some are designed to be waterproof and can be used in and aquarium for example.

No electrocution problem at all. Extremely low voltage going through a resistance probe. 1.5 volts.

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
MIsting does not damage them Immersion can depending upon the type you are using. some are designed to be waterproof and can be used in and aquarium for example.

No electrocution problem at all. Extremely low voltage going through a resistance probe. 1.5 volts.
Oh that’s fantastic! If that voltage wouldn’t kill him or hurt him too much then that makes me feel much better! Thank you all!

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
Quick question. I’m putting my Che on one end of my uv tube light and the basking light at the other. If I put the thermostat on the opposite end of the Che it will be by the basking light and pick up that heat. Recommendations please?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh that’s fantastic! If that voltage wouldn’t kill him or hurt him too much then that makes me feel much better! Thank you all!
Put your probe over in a far corner away from all heat sources. I hang mine down low but out of tortoise reach. Over there on the cool side is where you want a MINIMUM of 80 degrees. If it is warmer than that directly under the heat sources, that is totally fine. I like ambient temp to be in the high 80s to low 90s during the day for baby sulcatas. 80 is the absolute lowest overnight low. Basking area directly under the bulb should be near 100.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Quick question. I’m putting my Che on one end of my uv tube light and the basking light at the other. If I put the thermostat on the opposite end of the Che it will be by the basking light and pick up that heat. Recommendations please?
Put the CHE over the middle of the enclosure. It is supposed to maintain a minimum ambient all over the whole enclosure. Some people need to use two CHEs to spread the heat out. Your thermometer will tell you if you need to do this. UV tube can also be toward the middle, and basking bulb on one side or the other.

These are good questions. I am glad you are asking. There are lots of people reading your thread that were probably wondering the same thing.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just to add to Tom's reply... The basking light should br to the side but in the middle of the UV tube, not on the end. You are creating a basking zone with the basking light/heat in the middle. The UV should also be centered on that.

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
Put your probe over in a far corner away from all heat sources. I hang mine down low but out of tortoise reach. Over there on the cool side is where you want a MINIMUM of 80 degrees. If it is warmer than that directly under the heat sources, that is totally fine. I like ambient temp to be in the high 80s to low 90s during the day for baby sulcatas. 80 is the absolute lowest overnight low. Basking area directly under the bulb should be near 100.
Ok great ? I’m struggling with the temps too in his current table (of course) so I want to make sure to get it right. And I realized today that when I mist for the humidity it cools it down so I’ve been turning the Che on and off all day (I don’t have it on a thermostat until I move him). It’s too hot under the basking and not quite 80 on the cool side but I can’t get them higher with the current tort table. I’m hoping raising them and enclosing them will correct this issue. And the thermostat will maintain.

I didn’t realize it could be that warm of ambient during the day so glad to learn.

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
Just to add to Tom's reply... The basking light should br to the side but in the middle of the UV tube, not on the end. You are creating a basking zone with the basking light/heat in the middle. The UV should also be centered on that.
Ok so more like the actual sun…makes sense.