Temp/Humidity measurements

Henry’s mom

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
Put the CHE over the middle of the enclosure. It is supposed to maintain a minimum ambient all over the whole enclosure. Some people need to use two CHEs to spread the heat out. Your thermometer will tell you if you need to do this. UV tube can also be toward the middle, and basking bulb on one side or the other.

These are good questions. I am glad you are asking. There are lots of people reading your thread that were probably wondering the same thing.
I didn’t think about the Che being in the middle to disperse the heat more evenly…duh.

I’m glad my questions are getting a little better. Hopefully I’m learning all the great information I’m getting from you all! I hope it helps others too. ?

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
Should I put any type of soil down before my substrate so I can grow grass or plants?
I’m using fine orchid bark.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Should I put any type of soil down before my substrate so I can grow grass or plants?
I’m using fine orchid bark.
If you ”plant” your wheatgrass seeds in the orchid bark, they will grow. After several weeks, if they are not eaten and get quite leggy, you can pull them out and plant more. My Russian tortoise doesn’t eat grass, but I plant it to help keep up humidity and for aesthetic purposes.

Good luck!

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
If you ”plant” your wheatgrass seeds in the orchid bark, they will grow. After several weeks, if they are not eaten and get quite leggy, you can pull them out and plant more. My Russian tortoise doesn’t eat grass, but I plant it to help keep up humidity and for aesthetic purposes.

Good luck!
Oh so I can just sprinkle the seeds into the top of the bark? I always see people love the coco coir but was just recommended the bark. I haven’t used it. I have a little square of potted wheat grass and he doesn’t mess with it too much but occasionally lays in it. I’d like to have it so he can graze and on fresh stuff. I didn’t know it helped with humidity so that’s good to know too. Thanks!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Oh so I can just sprinkle the seeds into the top of the bark? I always see people love the coco coir but was just recommended the bark. I haven’t used it. I have a little square of potted wheat grass and he doesn’t mess with it too much but occasionally lays in it. I’d like to have it so he can graze and on fresh stuff. I didn’t know it helped with humidity so that’s good to know too. Thanks!
I use my hands and pull back a bit of the orchid bark. I sprinkle wheat grass seeds and then put the bark back in place. They’ll start to sprout in just a few days.

Attachments

• 40311212-3A28-4A35-B7DE-CFB6CE167B41.jpeg
    40311212-3A28-4A35-B7DE-CFB6CE167B41.jpeg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 7