TEMPERATURE OF BROODER BOX

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
@Tom What temperature do you keep your brooder box at after the tortoise hatches?

Reptile Wise

California
Hello Carol S. The perfect temperature for a brooder box? It's a balmy 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Anything less, you're playing a dangerous game with your little shelled buddy. Anything more, and you're turning him into a slow-crawling sauna enthusiast. So, 85-90 degrees - it's not just a suggestion, it's a lifeline. Let's keep their tiny world warm and welcoming, just the way they like it.

Hope this helps. :)

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Hello Carol S. The perfect temperature for a brooder box? It's a balmy 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Anything less, you're playing a dangerous game with your little shelled buddy. Anything more, and you're turning him into a slow-crawling sauna enthusiast. So, 85-90 degrees - it's not just a suggestion, it's a lifeline. Let's keep their tiny world warm and welcoming, just the way they like it.

Thank you for the information.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Starting a thread to introduce yourself and letting us know your experience with tortoises and how you keep yours would help people take your advice a bit more serious.

Reptile Wise

California
Starting a thread to introduce yourself and letting us know your experience with tortoises and how you keep yours would help people take your advice a bit more serious.
I tried submitting an introduction in my bio section but I keep getting an error message. I'll try again later. As far as being taken serious, I'm sharing what I know and what I have learned. Others can do whatever they wish with my input. :) Thanks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I may have some knowledge of general Redfoot keeping. But I am still a hatchling novice.
I do not let my tortoises breed.
The few hatchlings I've hatched went directly into a small, makeshift. Warm and humid CLOSED CHAMBER ENCLOSURE on paper towels. Later on fine Orchid bark.
82°-84°
T5 ho 5.0 uvb strip
80% plus humidity 24/7
They all survived and thrived.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom What temperature do you keep your brooder box at after the tortoise hatches?
I usually continue using the incubator for a couple few days. At some point, when the yolk sac is mostly absorbed and I'm just waiting for the umbilical scar to fully close, I move their brooder boxes into the enclosure that they will start out in to let them get used to the day/night cycle and the temperature differential between day and night. I usually set the plastic brooder boxes on top of a hide box or something inside the enclosure, unless the enclosure is not already housing babies, in which case I set the brooder box shoe boxes with the lid on directly on the substrate, but not near the basking area.

Temperature then depends on the species. For tropical species, I let it drop to 80 at night and then high 80s to low 90s during the day. For temperate species, I let night temps for hatchlings drop down to between 70-75, but the same warm daytime temps of around 90.