This is pebbles

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. Pebbles is adorable. She needs to have a moist substrate. I personally like moist ZooMed coconut coir for babies. It comes in block form and you add water to hydrate it. It needs to be deep enough for her to bury herself. Keeping her too dry will cause her to pyramid and dehydrate. I also have a big pile of moist ZooMed Sphagnum moss on top of the moist coir under their basking light. The babies love to burrow into the moist moss. Also a baby should be soaked once a day in baby warm water for 15 minutes. The water depth should come up to the bottom of her shell. She also needs a shallow water dish (terracotta plant saucers work great) in her enclosure all the time. The Forum has valuable information on how to raise a healthy tortoise. Again, welcome to the Forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The tortoise looks ok except for being too dry. Change your substrate to something that can be moistened. As young as she is, you can already see the effect of being kept too dry is having on her shell.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome Pebbles is beautiful!!
I'm sure there is a caresheet here which will help you with diet temps and substrate etc, to make sure Pebbles stays happy and healthy.
The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will help you avoid problems encountered by others and the Enclosures thread has lots of great ideas too. So read, search and ask as many questions as you like - all the information and advice you get will be the most up to date on the www from some very experienced keepers who are happy to share their methods with us!

Neil.pebbles

Hi I've got that tortoise life substrate coming would this be ok I changed the dry stuff yesterday and put her in tortoise terrain which I got from pets at home which is a soliy substrate to which I dampened down ???

Neil.pebbles

This is the tortoise life substrate which I have bought 25kg bag should be coming today but I was scared she was to dry so I got a bag of tortoise terrain it's called from pets at home just so make sure she was ok and not in to dry stuff

Neil.pebbles

She was already al lot more active when I changed it an was a bit dirty with soil being wet but bathed her before she went sleep but was exploring in this but want to know if the big bulk bag of tortoise life I got would be ok I've added the pic thank you everyone

Neil.pebbles

I will make sure the soil sprayed nice and damp and I bath her too thank you just fell in love with her she's adorable

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hello & welcome :)
I have 2 russians ! But theyre not hatchlings :(
Heres the care sheet written by our very experienced member, Tom. Hes used his many years experience to complete this, its very helpful:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/#post-751936
The substrate is good except the white pebbles/limestone in them. A tort should not be encouraged to eat their substrate. Eating substrate is a sign of vitamin/nutrient deficiency. The white specs look like calcium and may cause the babies to start eating the substrate.
If possible, please look over the link. And never hesitate to ask questions :)
Another super important part in a hatchlings growth is humidity but they will be explained in the link among other things

Neil.pebbles

I've just bought a big bulk bag of This substrate I don't honk she been eating it she just more bothered about her greens etc hope this still ok for me to use or do you think change again thank you ???

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Just keep an eye out if she starts eating the pebbles then you would need to change it. :)

Neil.pebbles

I'm such a worry would coco coir bricks be ok I'm going I pet shop now so I can buy some just can't relax with oot in mind I'll look for that moss to ?

Neil.pebbles

Says it holds moisture better so all round I feel like it will help her I don't mind that I've bough a bulk bag of other stuff can't put a price on her being happy should be cooler for her if holds moisture in better

Neil.pebbles

Thank you all even walked out in rain to pet shop to get some coco coir I'll look for this moss to really care about her she's stolen my heart so this will keep her cool thank you