This is pebbles

Neil.pebbles

All sorted now she was asleep when I was re sorting so I carefully moved her on her straw bedding cleaned table put fresh straw in her bed end and she's went back in no probs fast asleep had her food before she' went sleep had a soak before to so I've not stressed her out feel good about that and it's nice and damp and soft the coco fibre stuff happy with that thank you for you help this should hydrate her now more and not to dry I'll keep eye on it and damp when needs be

Neil.pebbles

Just hope this coco fibre stuff is ok for her it's drive me crazy about how dry she was in the pellets and then panicked about her eating the White limestone in the soil so changed it to this nice and damp when went to work this morn just hope the little baby's ok

Neil.pebbles

My big bag of tortoise life substrate had came now to which I don't know if this is ok to use just all driving me crazy worrying about her all the time just hope this substrate is ok but I do have the big bag of this

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Pebbles is so cute!:) And so is the name. :<3:

Please give your cutie a daily soak in warm water, and make sure there is enough

a) humidity
b) warmth

Neil.pebbles

I will soak her daily should I dampen the coco fibre daily so don't dry out just scared she get cold to she opens mouth other day and that got me scared Reading all the stuff she's eating and climbing bridge etc and breathes good when asleep just a living worry me

Neil.pebbles

Just scared that this stuff will dry out to quick etc drives me crazy while aye work just want to see her and know she's ok

Neil.pebbles

Should just learn to relax and stop typing things in my search on net just gets me overly scared she's eatin basking then sleeping in her hide at night just get scared when she does anything

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Does she have a water dish ?! Those are good for if she gets thirsty and wants to self soak. A terra-cotta plant saucer are great for this. The slope sides make it easier for tortoises to get in & out.
Do you know the humidity in the enclosure? Digital thermo/hygrometers are much more accurate than the dial type ones. I had a dial type thermometer/hygrometer and had my temps set up based on that. When i read on here that the dial type ones were inaccurate, i bought a digital one from walmart for $3 ( home depot also has them for $10) and found out i was so off. Everything was about 10F hotter than it should be.
Usually babies do good in closed top enclosures, since it holds in humidity better but if youre able to keep ~75% humidity with an open top, that would be great. Most members use moss to up the humidity also.
Make sure your hay doesnt get wet. (Though it probably will with the humidity). Hay will mold if its left wet.
Im not sure about the bedding and i cant real the description but ill google it and let you know what i think

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I would get rid of the hay entirely to be honest. It definitely will mold and your tort doesn't need to eat it anyway.

I would avoid that other substrate you mentioned. But personally I'm wary of any substrate that promotes a tortoise eating it. I would just stick with the coco coir for now and definitely get yourself a good humidity reading device.
I have an accurite from Home Depot & I've never been happier.

Neil.pebbles

She's has two water dishes little plant dishes Ibe just ordered a dial humidity meter thank you

Neil.pebbles

Yeah thank you I will check thank you so shall I spray the coir every Morning it's nice and damp its aspen bedding I have in the corner what should I use in her hide so nice and warm she doesn't eat that just sleeps on it in her hide

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I would definitely get rid of the aspen. For the same reason as the hay. Plus your tort has no need to ever eat aspen in its life.
They don't really need a more comfortable substrate in their hides. Especially since aspen is so dry it will do more harm than good.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Also you want to make sure that your coir is not soaking wet.
I get worried about shell rot, so I have a nice basking rock (paving stones from Home Depot) that are under the lamp so they're always nice and dry.
Your goal is to have a dry top layer of coir while the rest is damp underneath.
Usually if you dump in water once a week and stir everything up then you'll be pretty good. The top layer will dry out fairly quickly from the heat lamps and the rest stays damp

Neil.pebbles

Thank you I'll do that let the water dry on top layer she's adorable and seems to be more happy now in this softer stuff too just want her to grow strong baby's always a worry

Neil.pebbles

Ok so shall I just leave the coir and her bridge hide on top I'll let it dry out on top now