jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Good morning,

I've been noodling with Darwin's enclosure setup for about two weeks now, and feel pretty good about the light and heat and temperature gradient from one end to the other ... I'm concerned about high humidity levels (possibly nervous parenting).

Questions:
  1. Can levels above 80% (I'm often between 90 and 99) lead to fungus or shell rot or respiratory issues?
  2. Should I modify the enclosure/environment to maintain a humidity closer to a static 80%?
  3. Is a nighttime temperature & humidity shift beneficial for redfoots, or is stability preferable?
Thanks so much for your responses and input!

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I don't think to much humidity is possible with Redfoots, and I keep the temps and humidity consistent night and day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only thing with RF tortoises and humidity is you don't want them sitting on WET substrate. This causes shell rot. But the high humidity is fine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a hinged plexiglass lid on my closed chamber that I would slightly prop open at night so that the humidity would be a little less as the evening temps dropped into the upper 70s. (No lights)
As already stated. Humidity without total saturation is what you want. I had an area of my enclosure that was a large, flat piece of slate.
That way, my babies could get 100% dry.
I also do this with my outdoor pens.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I had a hinged plexiglass lid on my closed chamber that I would slightly prop open at night so that the humidity would be a little less as the evening temps dropped into the upper 70s. (No lights)
As already stated. Humidity without total saturation is what you want. I had an area of my enclosure that was a large, flat piece of slate.
That way, my babies could get 100% dry.
I also do this with my outdoor pens.

Thanks!

Jamie