Tortoise on its back

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
After all these years of tortoise keeping...The only death I've had was of a baby Redfoot that was flipped upside down and died before I noticed it.
It was decades ago.
I've noticed that young tortoises are more prone to flip and less equipped to get back over and that some tortoises of the same species are just much more prone to flipping than others are. Period.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just found mine on his back today after work(more on the side scute). Im pretty sure that she was there for 6-8h...poop everywhere. It was in his water bowl but it looked like she throw some substrate in it before so there was no more water.

She was looking pretty fine...no weird sound. Hydration looked good but I gave her a bath and some juicy mango.I think she got pretty lucky :S

The only thing was her back leg that looked exhausted...usually she never drop her feet like that.

Hope tomorrow is gonna be good!
It makes sense that the tort would need some time to recover from such a stressful situation

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Depending on the tortoise they can not digest what we consider sweet treats inc fruit and mango. Firstly good you bathed it as that helps recovery and hydration it now needs to rest. Please look at the enclose what was it climbing to tumble that may need to be moved whilst it is a hazard. As they grow they get heavier and flipping is less. They can self right if there is a stone or edge available for them to get claws in. Try adding low stones or plants t9 help. Good you located it when you did.

pelchat22

Quebec
Depending on the tortoise they can not digest what we consider sweet treats inc fruit and mango. Firstly good you bathed it as that helps recovery and hydration it now needs to rest. Please look at the enclose what was it climbing to tumble that may need to be moved whilst it is a hazard. As they grow they get heavier and flipping is less. They can self right if there is a stone or edge available for them to get claws in. Try adding low stones or plants t9 help. Good you located it when you did.
Thanks! Thats a red foot and I give her mango or papaya with home made mustard green, romaine lettuce, collard green and radicchio. It was the first thing i though for hydration because I cant force her to drink.

Since a month she try to climb on the wall...shes hyperactive...even when she already walked around for 2h.

Im waiting for a new bigger enclosure that should arrive this week...it will be easier to setup the bowl not near a wall.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Thanks! Thats a red foot and I give her mango or papaya with home made mustard green, romaine lettuce, collard green and radicchio. It was the first thing i though for hydration because I cant force her to drink.

Since a month she try to climb on the wall...shes hyperactive...even when she already walked around for 2h.

Im waiting for a new bigger enclosure that should arrive this week...it will be easier to setup the bowl not near a wall.
OK

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I put my 1 yr old hermann's outside in his adult enclosure that is wider and bigger and he doesn't flip over in that. You would think since they like to be closed in they would like smaller enclosures.. but it is quiet the opposite

pelchat22

Quebec
All good this morning! She get out of his hole as soon as I open the light and she ate without problem :D

I installed a camera so I can watch if everything is alright when im out at work.

Attachments

• 20220714_050232.jpg
    20220714_050232.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

TaylorTortoise

Abington
After all these years of tortoise keeping...The only death I've had was of a baby Redfoot that was flipped upside down and died before I noticed it.
It was decades ago.
I've noticed that young tortoises are more prone to flip and less equipped to get back over and that some tortoises of the same species are just much more prone to flipping than others are. Period.
What species would you say?