Tortoise pellets or no pellets

kelii

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I feed Mazuri, but I moisten it and mix other things with it.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
Mazuri themselves discontinued selling smaller amounts of their product, I think the least you can buy is 30 lbs at a time (could be wrong, haven't checked in a while) so if you want a small amount of Mazuri to try it out you might be out of luck. I think some folks buy the huge barrels of Mazuri and repackage them to sell in smaller quantities, that seems to be what happens on Amazon.

I bought a 6 lb bucket of it. Bean swallows it whole. Patience does not exist when Mazuri is involved.

I buy 2lbs at a time on eBay. It usually costs $12 with free shipping and lasts a couple of months.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Yep, those are the resellers. 2 lbs for $12 is a great deal though, I'm scared of e-bay so I never thought to buy Mazuri there! I buy through Amazon where prices are usually around $15-20 for a 12 oz. bag (including shipping) and larger portions are cheaper. Hence why it stinks for people on Amazon looking for cheap sample sizes :p

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I buy 2lbs at a time on eBay. It usually costs $12 with free shipping and lasts a couple of months.
I got from the same guy I bet. Were no issues. Except that 60 gram Nadine won't eat that much, but the box turtles will help her.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
This was my second time buying from them, both were very smooth transactions

Luvziggy

I feed my sulcata lots of different things different grasses,leaves,hay, but I also mix the food I order from the turtle source with it. That is where I got him. They say that is what they feed theirs. Any information on how healthy this food is? If it's bad I will get Mauzuri.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom,
Do tortoises like the Mazuri better?

Not Tom, but here at my place, when I mix the moistened Zoo Med in with the chopped greens, the babies eat it readily, but if I mix in Mazuri, they are not as interested in eating. I've noticed that the Zoo Med smells like grass or hay, while the Mazuri doesn't.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Does anyone know what the difference is in the Mazuri LS vs Mazuri? I thought it was just pellet size.

Both my Redfoot and Leopard love mazuri LS.

I do notice it smells more like a dog or cat food when moistened though..... Really stinks up the house on a warm humid day haha

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I don't know actually, I've never tried LS because I heard a lot of folks say their torts don't like it as much as the "Original Flavor".

I always assumed it either had less fat for torts with different dietary needs or more fat and nutrients for growing torts/hatchlings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does anyone know what the difference is in the Mazuri LS vs Mazuri? I thought it was just pellet size.

I do notice it smells more like a dog or cat food when moistened though..... Really stinks up the house on a warm humid day haha

LS is based on grass hay instead of other things. This is the primary difference. They were attempting to make the ingredients list look more appealing on paper since some people in their focus groups didn't "feel good" about the ingredients list of regular Mazuri. Of course those "feelings" were not based on any sort of evidence or science.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I thought it stood for low sodium, but after Googling it, it MAY stand for Low Starch.

http://www.mazuri.com/product_pdfs/5E5L.pdf

Travis

Wisconsin, USA
All pellets are not created equally.:)
I like Mazuri brand. But it's hard to find the original formula and the Mazuri "L.S" is something that most tortoises will not eat.

I've only been able to find the LS version of Mazuri. My torts have never had the original. They love the LS version of Mazuri. Everytime I put out fresh greens and mazuri, they will literally ignore the fresh food and go straight for the mazuri.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I've only been able to find the LS version of Mazuri. My torts have never had the original. They love the LS version of Mazuri. Everytime I put out fresh greens and mazuri, they will literally ignore the fresh food and go straight for the mazuri.
Sounds like you have a winner ! Its not like its bad for them , its only different . If they like it and you can get it easily its a "win win" situation for you !

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

Mr Buster

Reno NV
Just how much is a 30lb bag of Mazuri going for and where are you buying it ? There is a Mazuri product on Amazon 12 oz for like $13.

I am trying to stay away from pet store products. Bought 5 Fire Belly toads two years ago for $6 each. They only eat live food like crickets and wax worms. They can live for 15 years and the food is not cheap. Pet Smart owns me for life now.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Just how much is a 30lb bag of Mazuri going for and where are you buying it ? There is a Mazuri product on Amazon 12 oz for like $13.

I am trying to stay away from pet store products. Bought 5 Fire Belly toads two years ago for $6 each. They only eat live food like crickets and wax worms. They can live for 15 years and the food is not cheap. Pet Smart owns me for life now.
http://www.mazuri.com/mazuritortoisediet.aspx

That Amazon price is ridiculous.

25 pounds for 30.99

You might be able to buy it from your local feed store and get free shipping.

M

Maggie Cummings

Why do some tortoise keepers refer to Mazuri as "tortoise crack"??? Just sayin.
I would never feed Mazuri to babies because of the molasses.
'some' babies will stop eating greens and only eat Mazuri.
I only feed Mazuri to adults during the winter when tort food is hard to come by.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Why do some tortoise keepers refer to Mazuri as "tortoise crack"??? Just sayin.
I would never feed Mazuri to babies because of the molasses.
'some' babies will stop eating greens and only eat Mazuri.
I only feed Mazuri to adults during the winter when tort food is hard to come by.

Very Good point Maggie.

Here is food for thought, I'm betting that 90% of people on here make their pets eat healthier and better than themselves, including me. I'm a workout freak and pretty healthy eater but I eat my fair share of "crack" food. I would like to see a few members on here that constantly tell others how unhealthy they feed their tort just to see if they look like healthy eaters.

M

Maggie Cummings

Very Good point Maggie.

Here is food for thought, I'm betting that 90% of people on here make their pets eat healthier and better than themselves, including me. I'm a workout freak and pretty healthy eater but I eat my fair share of "crack" food. I would like to see a few members on here that constantly tell others how unhealthy they feed their tort just to see if they look like healthy eaters.

When I came back from the Drs, I'll post a pix of 1.5 yr old Pansy and 2 yr old 8 pound Sam, smooth as babies butts. I'll prove with those pix that MY way works too.
1. Lots of exercise
2. Good wild food, a varied diet
3. Lot's of humidity
4. Strong 12 hrs a day UVB.

PS....I live on cheesecake and MT Dew. My tortoises eat healthier than I do. My only exercise is looking for the remote, I weigh 115 lbs. LOL