Tortoise submerging head under water??

Sierra B.

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California, USA
Hello!
It is hotter than heck today where I live so I decided to soak my tortoises. I used lukewarm water, not too warm or too cold, and set them into separate tubs. They both were fine, seemed to like it so I figured everything was good. Both tubs were side by side so I could see them both at the same time. I bent down to sprinkle water on my bigger Sulcata's shell and when I looked over to the Little guy he had completely submerged his head and wasn't moving. First thing I did was panick but I gave him a few seconds to move and when he didn't I lifted him out of the water. He was totally fine. Is it normal for tortoises to submerge their heads under water like that??? I have never seen anything like it. He is doing fine right now I've been keeping an eye on him. He's walking around the yard nibbling on grass. Please tell me I'm just over thinking and he isn't suicidal! Haha

My husband just came home from work as I was typing this, and his theory was that Little Foot was really hot and by submerging his head he was cooling off faster? It makes sense I guess but his head was 100% submerged for a long time (at least 30 seconds to a minute) without any movement. I don't know.. I hope I'm just freaked out and worrying too much. Thanks in advance for any input!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You didn't have them soaking in the hot sun did you, on very hot days in warm water that can be deadly.

Sierra B.

Southern California, USA
It's only 90 degrees here but I can't stand the heat so maybe it's not as bad as I think it is. But the tortoises hadn't been soaked for a couple days so I figured it would be good for them.. And like I said they love baths and nothing seemed wrong, just the little guy submerged his head completely which freaked me out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is okay to soak them, but when its really hot, soak them in the shade or later when it cools a little. i don't know how little your little one is, but they can over heat very quickly. In the wild in the hottest part if the day, they would not be out in the sun, but low in the brush in the cool shade or possibly under ground.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
How long did he have his head under water? That's how they drink. They'll stick their whole heads in the water (if it's deep enough) and drink.

I've never heard of a tortoise drowning that wasn't stuck in a large body of water like a pond or pool, so from your description I would not have any concerns if I were you.

Sierra B.

Southern California, USA
It is okay to soak them, but when its really hot, soak them in the shade or later when it cools a little. i don't know how little your little one is, but they can over heat very quickly. In the wild in the hottest part if the day, they would not be out in the sun, but low in the brush in the cool shade or possibly under ground.

He's not very tiny, just littler than our biggest one. I'd say 8 inches. I guess that's still small compared to what they will eventually be... And his names Little Foot so I call him "little" instead of anything else ;) I'll just be more careful about when I soak them. But is that why he did that?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's very hard to say. He may have just been drinking, some will put their whole heads in. My leopard did when he was little.
If he is healthy and could touch the bottom, I think he was either drinking or got too hot.

Sierra B.

Southern California, USA
How long did he have his head under water? That's how they drink. They'll stick their whole heads in the water (if it's deep enough) and drink.

I've never heard of a tortoise drowning that wasn't stuck in a large body of water like a pond or pool, so from your description I would not have any concerns if I were you.

Around a minute? When I pulled him out he kinda looked at me like, hey why did you do that for? But I didn't know they do that!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Mine do it too. If his head was out of the shell while underwater he was drinking. If he sucked into his shell then it was scared. Either way mine have been underwater like that too, no issues or worries.

Sierra B.

Southern California, USA
Mine do it too. If his head was out of the shell while underwater he was drinking. If he sucked into his shell then it was scared. Either way mine have been underwater like that too, no issues or worries.

Thank you, good to know! :) I'm relieved that he's okay and normal and my poor heart can relax now lol

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
i was worried about a similar problem the other day, our little guy actually fell asleep in the tub lol ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437233329.004636.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He was trying to get a drink and you interrupted him! Sheesh! Silly human! :)

Seriously though, tortoises need to submerge their whole mouth and nares in order to suck in water. If they are drinking out of a bowl or puddle they just stick their whole head in it. If they are in deep enough water they will often just submerge their whole head.

And 90 is just getting comfortable for sulcatas, as long as they have some shade too.

Sierra B.

Southern California, USA
He was trying to get a drink and you interrupted him! Sheesh! Silly human! :)

Seriously though, tortoises need to submerge their whole mouth and nares in order to suck in water. If they are drinking out of a bowl or puddle they just stick their whole head in it. If they are in deep enough water they will often just submerge their whole head.

And 90 is just getting comfortable for sulcatas, as long as they have some shade too.

Aw man, I feel like a jerk now ;) I'm just glad I have everyone to help me because if he had done it again I would have stopped him. I didn't know they submerge their head like that to drink :) it was 90 degrees yesterday, and right now it's raining!! Crazy weather (Ventura County)