• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Travel in the cold

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Have the car warmed up, have your tort in a cooler that you soaked in hot water. Tort inside the warmed cooler, with a warm towel, should do the trick. How long of a drive? Good luck.

• If you have a hand warmer used for hunting or outdoor sports, you could wrap that in a towel inside the cooler as well. Just watch so it’s not too hot.

wellington

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you use the warmers it does need to be wrapped in a towel. Not used where it touches the tort without being wrapped.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
We put our temp sensitive animals in coolers with hot water in plastic bottles, The animal in a box, inside the coolr, so they never touch the bottle. It works for frogs, inverts, and reptiles.
That aside... I put Medusa in a bag inside my shirt when I bought him home in when it was really cold. And I don't have a car, so it was bike - train - bike.

Eva C

Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
We put our temp sensitive animals in coolers with hot water in plastic bottles, The animal in a box, inside the coolr, so they never touch the bottle. It works for frogs, inverts, and reptiles.
That aside... I put Medusa in a bag inside my shirt when I bought him home in when it was really cold. And I don't have a car, so it was bike - train - bike.
The vet actually said that they can handle the cold for a short amount of time. Thanks for the advice!

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
It was 1 degree F when i drove to VA recently. I pre-warmed the vehicle and kept my 2 little boxies in boxes on the passenger floorboard. My vehicle has a good heater which can be set to warm mainly the lower vents, or both lower and upper, and i jockeyed that to keep them at a good temp.