Undertank Heater

DamJoe08

Location (City and/or State)
Fullerton, Ca
I have a 2 month Sulcata. I want to make sure that her hide box is getting enough heat for humidity purposes. Would an under tank heater be good?

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
To clarify, heat doesn't increase humidity. For humidity you need to pour water into the substrate, and have a closed chamber setup. As far as general heat is concerned, I'm not an expert, but I think most people here use ceramic heat emitters.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 2 month Sulcata. I want to make sure that her hide box is getting enough heat for humidity purposes. Would an under tank heater be good?

I would not use a heat mat of any kind for an indoor sulcata. Best to use a CHE or radiant heat panel set on a thermostat and mounted over head to maintain ambient. If the whole enclosure is warm, as it should be, you don't need extra heat in the humid hide.

DamJoe08

Fullerton, Ca
I have a CHE above the hide box, I made it out of a plastic show box but seems to dry out relatively quick but the hygrometer shows that its around 75%. would that be ok? It's a standard plastic box with a hole cut out on the side so she can easily get in and out, the lid is on it to hold in the humidity.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
I have a CHE above the hide box, I made it out of a plastic show box but seems to dry out relatively quick but the hygrometer shows that its around 75%. would that be ok? It's a standard plastic box with a hole cut out on the side so she can easily get in and out, the lid is on it to hold in the humidity.
What substrate are you using?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Humidity inside the hide box should hover around 100% if the humidity outside the box is 80%ish, as it should be. My humid hides almost never dry out and I only occasionally add water under them.

Sounds like you need a closed chamber set up.