UPS Complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy

5 Year Member
Bought a baby Tortoise from Austin at Arizona Sulcata, he shipped overnight to Wichita Falls on Thursday and was to get it on Friday by 1030 am, now Dallas is only 3 hours away, the plane late they said?, won't say how late, well the tortoise did not show up yesterday. Have called and complained my head off to UPS, even with a tracking number they could not tell me where the Tortoise was, last night they said it was at Wichita Falls, today they said it was still in transit and the last thing they said was that the package was lost. Being a Chrisitan I lost it to everyone that I spoke to, not cursing but not very nice. Austin and myself both emailed PETA, not a supporter of PETA but anything to put some pressure on UPS, Better Buisness Bureau will be called Monday, which is the time I'm supposed to receive the baby Sulcata that will have been without food or water for 4 nights. I did tell one of the ladies fine as soon as I recieve the dead animal I'll will certainly send it to UPS special delivery. Even if it is alive when I recieve it, doesn't give it much hope for survival, maybe someone with alot of experience but probably not for me. I'm not much in a wonderful mood. My wife, myself and kids were prisoners in our home yesterday cause every time I called them they said that we should still get it, this irritated my wife to no ends. I most certainly complained that they should have given us a call and what good is a tracking number when they can't tell you where it is, as far as I know it is still at Dallas Airport. The positive note is that the tank is more than ready to go but not much consulation. I have my two girls praying for the baby, who knows God can do miracles.

Bow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia
randy said:
Bought a baby Tortoise from Austin at Arizona Sulcata, he shipped overnight to Wichita Falls on Thursday and was to get it on Friday by 1030 am, now Dallas is only 3 hours away, the plane late they said?, won't say how late, well the tortoise did not show up yesterday. Have called and complained my head off to UPS, even with a tracking number they could not tell me where the Tortoise was, last night they said it was at Wichita Falls, today they said it was still in transit and the last thing they said was that the package was lost. Being a Chrisitan I lost it to everyone that I spoke to, not cursing but not very nice. Austin and myself both emailed PETA, not a supporter of PETA but anything to put some pressure on UPS, Better Buisness Bureau will be called Monday, which is the time I'm supposed to receive the baby Sulcata that will have been without food or water for 4 nights. I did tell one of the ladies fine as soon as I recieve the dead animal I'll will certainly send it to UPS special delivery. Even if it is alive when I recieve it, doesn't give it much hope for survival, maybe someone with alot of experience but probably not for me. I'm not much in a wonderful mood. My wife, myself and kids were prisoners in our home yesterday cause every time I called them they said that we should still get it, this irritated my wife to no ends. I most certainly complained that they should have given us a call and what good is a tracking number when they can't tell you where it is, as far as I know it is still at Dallas Airport. The positive note is that the tank is more than ready to go but not much consulation. I have my two girls praying for the baby, who knows God can do miracles.

Hopefully the little guy gets to you safely. Tortoises are remarkable at survival.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
I am properly disgusted!! not just how little they seem to care about 1 package, but how little they care knowing that there is a live animal inside!

They should be ashamed of themselves!!!

Hope he arrives ok!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
More experienced might have more help. However as soon as you do get the little guy, get him into a warm water soak ASAP. Keep the water warm and I would soak him for 30 minutes at the minimal. Then put him in with food, all kinds for him too choose from. Then let the little guy have a rest. I really hope he shows up safe and sound. I have a list of complaints with both UPS and FEDX it is unbelievable. However they don't care and change nothing. All the calls back I was suppose to get from a big wig, well I never receive them. Good luck and please don't forget to let us know how it goes.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
Have my fingers crossed that he arrives alive and well. Please let keep us updated.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I'm disgusted at the fact you would even think of contacting PETA.........

I guess no one realizes why you don't ship overnight on a Thursday? Delays happen - There's nothing you can do that is going to change that. E-mailing all these people, huffing and puffing really isn't going to get anything accomplished. You are shipping a live animal through a service not designed for shipping live animals, which is why the shipper signs a waiver absolving the shipping company of any liability.........The liability falls on the person shipping.......I spent over $20,000 with FedEx last year, and I have boxes delayed all the time. It happens.......It's frustrating and all, but taking it out on people over the phone really isn't the way to go about things either........

Just an FYI - I've had Tortoises lost in transit for 10 days, and they arrived alive and well.......

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
EricIvins said:

I guess no one realizes why you don't ship overnight on a Thursday? Delays happen - There's nothing you can do that is going to change that.

Agreed!!!!! No breeder, dealer, wholesaler or otherwise should EVER ship on Thursday!!! If the person you want to buy a live animal from will ship on Thursday, say no thank you and find someone who cares about the animal, not the sale!!!

This is not meant to offend anyone!! It is strictly meant to do what is best for the live animal!! I hope we read about a positive outcome for the tortoise!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
EricIvins said:

I guess no one realizes why you don't ship overnight on a Thursday? Delays happen - There's nothing you can do that is going to change that. E-mailing all these people, huffing and puffing really isn't going to get anything accomplished. You are shipping a live animal through a service not designed for shipping live animals, which is why the shipper signs a waiver absolving the shipping company of any liability.........The liability falls on the person shipping.......I spent over $20,000 with FedEx last year, and I have boxes delayed all the time. It happens.......It's frustrating and all, but taking it out on people over the phone really isn't the way to go about things either........

Just an FYI - I've had Tortoises lost in transit for 10 days, and they arrived alive and well.......

Good post here. A little blunt lol, but I agree with Eric.

I can't find fault with UPS...things like this happen...Even if they knew where the package was, I'm not sure what they should do with it. They can't open the package and care for the sulcata while it's stuck wherever it is, that's just not realistic.

This is just a risk that comes with shipping live animals. Good luck, I hope it turns out well.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Randy your new and I am sorry you and your family are having to experience this. Unfortunately there is no way to ship an animal, without things like this happening. Just the sheer volume of packages this company handles a day is mind boggling.

Not sure why anybody would involve PETA, next thing we know they will be working to make it so we can't ship reptiles at all, but you already have done it so no use questioning your judgement now. The judgement I would question is the person who shipped you the animal. Never ever ship on Thursday, the reason is because of what your going thru right now. Your now facing a weekend of being able to do nothing, but worry. :(

You can't change him being lost in transit. Try to relax and remain calm, which I know will be impossible. I am going to bet he will still arrive safe and sound, these guys can be real troopers.

I was lucky, the one time I had a delay with UPS, the nice people I worked with searched for my box and then made sure it was kept in a warm office and given priority treatment until it was placed in my hands.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I wouldn't give up on the animal just yet and though understandable yelling and complaining at UPS won't solve anything, sadly mistakes happen. I had a package lost by UPS fpr almost two weeks (not an animal) and all I got was the run around, so while my sit. was different (no animal involved0 I can understand how frustrating it can be. As for shipping practices all I can say is I would never ship past wednesday.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
This is one reason we are hesitant about shipping our aldabra hatchlings. I hope your hatchlings arrives soon without any further issues and is OK!

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
This is one reason we are hesitant about shipping our aldabra hatchlings. I hope your hatchlings arrives soon without any further issues and is OK!

Well I guess that means IF I ever convince my hubby to let me have an Aldabra I won't even be able to get one anyway? :'(

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
DanaLachney said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

Well I guess that means IF I ever convince my hubby to let me have an Aldabra I won't even be able to get one anyway? :'(

Well may be not from Greg, but there are others who do ship them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mr. Ivins is correct on all counts here... even though Jacqui phrased it all much nicer...

The baby will probably be fine. A captive bred baby that was well hydrated and in an insulated box should survive for weeks. Not ideal, by any means, but survivable...

Sorry you are going through this Randy. Take a few deep breaths...

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Randy I hope your tortoise arrives safely. It must be hard to wait and wait. Just curious, why was yours shipped UPS? I thought they were usually shipped FedEx overnight.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
DanaLachney said:
Jacqui said:

:( but I'm just a hop skip and a jump away from Greg lol

Then why ship, when you can just hop, skip, and jump your way to the tortoise?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Well, you had me until you got in touch with PETA. Their solution, of course, would be to put pressure on UPS NOT to accept animals for shipment at all. I'm sure your seller will appreciate it as well.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jacqui said:
DanaLachney said:
Jacqui said:

:( but I'm just a hop skip and a jump away from Greg lol

Then why ship, when you can just hop, skip, and jump your way to the tortoise?

We have contracted and shipped before, just not my favorite thing! These cases make me nervous! We had a raccoon get lost once, horrible experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.