Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't understand. Do you mean to say they delivered the package to the wrong house in the wrong city? And if it was addressed to YOU, why did she accept it and open it?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I thought he was meaning a person in the shipping hub opened the box, which was really not perhaps the smartest move. I think unopened would have been best for the rest of the shipping... but that's just me.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
nicoleandrocky said:
dmmj said:
I wonder how the lady felt when she opened up the tortoise package.

Imagine her reaction :( +:tort:=:D

well thats how i would react! lol

HILARIOUS! =P

@yvonne & Jacqui, I think since the package was lost in transit they found it being held in another city, probably close by or mixed up with other packages accidentally, and maybe they had called Randy or Austin to let them know of the package being found and either one of them specifically told them to open it to check if it's alive or since it's been lost and they've been trying to find it maybe they opened it themselves but either way the torty is doing fine and on it way home =D

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
So far, it sounds like really good news! Now if we can just get the little one home :)

Funny story about lost shipments. Years ago I was going to breed my Hanoverian mare to a stallion in MD, doing AI. Had the mare at the vets, daily ultrasounds watching for the follicle to get to that perfect point. The great day arrived, called the stallion owner, she collected and shipped the semen via FedEx.

Never got here. Turns out, it got sent to some dude in PA who was holding it ransom until his Rolex was delivered. Now, if you've never seen an Equitainer, it's almost 2 ft high, big, round cylinder. NOT what a rolex would come in, LOL.

I've no idea what happened to the contents (don't even want to think about it), but it cost FedEx close to $2K when all was said and done. I've never felt the same towards them, LOL.

randy

5 Year Member
She is home and amazingly, gloriously she looks very healthy after such a hard ordeal. She is currantly as I type in a large dog water bowl that I bought, the water is a little warmer than lukewarm and she has her head up looking around but just sitting there soaking all in. She is adorable, will feed her as soon as she gets a good 30 minute soak, she is now walking around the water after soaking for 10-15 minutes, I think due to all the prayers and GODS help she will be just fine. Got her home just about 30 minutes ago from the UPS, in is just a plane miracle of GOD that she is still alive and seemingly doing great. Like I said she is now walking around the inside of the bowel, tring to get on her back legs to get out, good news. I will send pictures from my wifes cell phone as soon as she emails them to me. The only help I received was the help her in Wichita Falls Tx., I wouldn't have gotten her until tomorrow if it wasn't for me pressuring them. Will keep updated.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad she made it safely. Mother Nature made these guys to be tough and it is amazing what they can survive.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Best news ever! :) Just goes to show what a difference a healthy tort makes! I'm thrilled this had a happy ending!

randy

5 Year Member
O.K. she isn't eating, I'm going to leave her in the bowel for another 10-15 minutes and then put in the tank with a small amount of greens for the night and some water would this be O.K. She is just going around and around in the bowel at present time looking for a way out, I'm still a little worried she may not eat, but getting her hydrated was the big and main thing now, it's up to her to eat and do the rest.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Good to know! Glad she's ok :) She'll eat eventually, she's probably a little more than stressed right now, she should be fine.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
randy said:
O.K. she isn't eating, I'm going to leave her in the bowel for another 10-15 minutes and then put in the tank with a small amount of greens for the night and some water would this be O.K. She is just going around and around in the bowel at present time looking for a way out, I'm still a little worried she may not eat, but getting her hydrated was the big and main thing now, it's up to her to eat and do the rest.

good idea! She will eat on her own but she's probably just wondering where she's at now and in a new environment so it will take her a while to open up but I'm sure she will eat later tonight or possibly tomorrow first thing. As long as you keep an eye on her and make sure she didn't get sick from the delay or catch a cold =/
I'm sure she's fine =D gluck on your new baby!

randy

5 Year Member
She is now in the 30 gallon tank, it was and is misted really good, humidity and heat is good. She is starting to walk around a little now to explore her new home, I have two Humidity homes one on cool end and one next to the light. She can't seem to find the opening at present time, nope there she goes into the cool home. The tank is covered on top with aluminum foil, except for about 4-5 inches on the cool side, if I enclose it all the way is this O.K.? I'm wandering if I don't will the humidity stay in enough? I think she found her bed for the time being, my 9 and 12 year old girls are irritated at me for not letting them hold her, but I told them they'll have plenty of time to pet and watch her. Didn't know I would be excited about getting a tortoise, always promised my 12 year old years ago that if I had a chance to get or find a tortoise that I would, and I decided if I was going to I was going to go out and get the best and a baby at that. She is still in her home after 10 minutes, I think ready to take a night nap.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Behavior sounds perfectly normal. She will spend most of her time for now in the hide. I'm so happy she's doing well!

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
=D YAY! only you can be the judge on the foil thing HAHAHAHA I can't believe your using foil, I thought I was the only one hahahaha pretty funny but it works. I didn't think you'd need foil with an aquarium?! Austin, did you ever use a top on your aquarium or do you think I'm good to go with no top in a 25 gallon??!?
Randy...just keep an eye on the thermometer/hygrometer and make sure the temps are where they need to be with or without foil and then you can adjust the rest...CANT WAIT FOR PICS ^_^

randy

5 Year Member
My thing about the foil is, if I enclose it to the best that I can will there be enough cracks or areas around the light where enough air can get in, I don't want to suffocate her but I also want to make sure she has plenty of humidity to have an optimum life. Right now she is in the moist humid walmart food container with lid on it, having at least 5 inches of cypress mulch that I have sprayed and sprayed for the past 3-4 days preparing for her, she will have at least a moist, humid and decent temperature tonight than she's had for the last 4 nights. I can't imagine any creature living in such a small area without food and water. I have no doubt she has a tremendous desire to live and grow to a good 80-100 young lady, she deserves it and she deserves it from me. Don't know exactly what to name her but she deserves a good name, for all she's been through at such a young age. Tomorrow if it is nice and warm outside I will let her walk around under coverage of a bird cage to get some UVB rays, it looks like she is napping for the night, can't blame her I'm not sure if my will to live would be that great at the age of 3 weeks. Thanks you all for your prayers, can only believe she is very special.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
I completely closed the sick tort I had but left area around the light open but it worked...there's no way you can completely close it off anyway because of the light dome...just cover everything else if the temps are ok and not too high and just place foil around the light and not a tight fit...IDK your temps and I don't want to give you any answers to screw up your tort since she's been through alot..Lucky was a good name...since she's a survivor call her destiny (destiny's child "survivor") HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA *jokes* my friend actually named her daughter Destiny when I was living in TX =P

randy

5 Year Member
Destiny, I'll think about it, sounds like a good name.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
if you still have info on that lady that found her then name her after that lady =D

Status
Not open for further replies.