URGENT!!! HERMANN TORTOISE ATE A HAIRWORM FROM A PRAYING MANTIS!!!

iva

Location (City and/or State)
Europe
I saw her eating something only to find her biting a praying mantis and a small hairworm came out of it and I couldn't get it out of her mouth resulting in her swallowing it. I read about them and I saw they don't affect reptiles but I'm still extremely afraid. I can't take her to a vet this instant so I want to ask around. Please!!! Will something happen to her? Can they affect tortoises? If I did take her to a vet what could he do? Since I can't at the moment, should I feed her anything? IDK WHAT TO DO HELP!!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
I don't think the hairworm can survive inside the tortoise. This is from what I have gathered after learning about it.

Reactions: Ink

zovick

10 Year Member!
I saw her eating something only to find her biting a praying mantis and a small hairworm came out of it and I couldn't get it out of her mouth resulting in her swallowing it. I read about them and I saw they don't affect reptiles but I'm still extremely afraid. I can't take her to a vet this instant so I want to ask around. Please!!! Will something happen to her? Can they affect tortoises? If I did take her to a vet what could he do? Since I can't at the moment, should I feed her anything? IDK WHAT TO DO HELP!!
The worms do not infect vertebrate animals such as tortoises:

"Horsehair worms are harmless to vertebrates, because they can't parasitize people, livestock, pets, or birds. They also don't infect plants. If humans ingest the worms, they may encounter some mild discomfort of the intestinal tract, but infection never occurs."

You may rest easy and not worry. Your tortoise just got a good protein-rich snack.