RedFootTortAz

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello everyone thank you for taking the time to read this. I have a 5 month old red foot and with winter coming I won’t be able to take him outside for his UVB anymore. What type of UVB light should I get it and how long should I use it daily? It would hang approximately 2 feet above his enclosure. Please let me know if you need any other details!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Two feet above?
Use a T5 HO 10.0 strip florescent from REPTISUN
Or a 12% from Arcadia.
12" above you can use the 5.0 or 6% tubes.
If you can still provide at least 20-30 minutes of outdoor sunlight 3 or 4 times e week, you don't have to supplement at all with a Redfoot

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 2

RedFootTortAz

Arizona
Two feet above?
Use a T5 HO 10.0 strip florescent from REPTISUN
Or a 12% from Arcadia.
12" above you can use the 5.0 or 6% tubes.
If you can still provide at least 20-30 minutes of outdoor sunlight 3 or 4 times e week, you don't have to supplement at all with a Redfoot

hello! I attached an image of the Che I use and how far it is from the tortoises home! In the photo I have his cover on as well for humidity purposes. I will definitely look into your suggestions. Do you know if there is anything comparable in a bulb format? If not I will build something that will be able to hang the lights you suggested. Thank you again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Boy
That CHE is very far away.
Or is that a coiled, spiral UVB.
Either way, its probably doing almost nothing.
And no. "Screw in" compact florescent bulbs are ALL lousy for one reason or anorher.
A T5 Strip UVB is what you want

RedFootTortAz

Arizona
Boy
That CHE is very far away.
Or is that a coiled, spiral UVB.
Either way, its probably doing almost nothing.
And no. "Screw in" compact florescent bulbs are ALL lousy for one reason or anorher.
A T5 Strip UVB is what you want
Thank you I will look into one then thank you! Also the Che in the photos keeps that warm side at about 85 degrees and the other side of his home is 77. Does that sound right?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you I will look into one then thank you! Also the Che in the photos keeps that warm side at about 85 degrees and the other side of his home is 77. Does that sound right?
Try moving it around a bit to get the ENTIRE enclosure up over 80.
They need at least 80 to be able to digest food well. But much higher than 90 causes distress.
You don't need a warm side and a hot side with a Redfoot. Though you will obviously have areas that are warmer or cooler naturally.