Wang Dang sweet planicauda

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
An impending arrival of a subadult female got the boys all excited (projection or transference?, I don't know). They were all out eating today. I've heard people call them living rocks to account for their level of activity. I'd like to restate that in this enclosure, heavily planted, they move about while wearing their invisibility cloak. Somehow over the 'winter' they have gained a few grams. I did weigh them after a first soak, but still, I wonder if they eat the isopods. When I drop very small garden snails in, they waste no effort to sneak up on them and eat them. They get a sorta bug eyed 'spengleri' look to them when stalking a snail.

2015-04-06 11.51.52.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very pretty. What is your male/female ratio now?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Very pretty. What is your male/female ratio now?
In house it is 4.0.1 with the 0.0.1 incubated to be female. No I have never purchased swamp land, I have no idea that the long diapause of P. planicauda can be manipulated for sex. We will see. At this point that little tail is the stubbiest of stubs and mail P. planicauda do indeed have mighty impressive tails compared to females.

Out of house 3.2 in location "A" and another 1.0 in location "B", with a promise of a subadult 0.1 from location "A", but so far no movement. Some people have the good intention to want to do what they say they will do as it reflects on him/herself in their mind, just not so inclined to act on it in reality.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, hopefully "some people" will do the right thing when the time comes.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What absolutely beautiful tortoises.
I am constantly amazed at the variety and splendour of these remarkable animals.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What a beautiful torts you have!!!!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
If it's a male...are you going to name him after Ted Nugent...like you kinda did with the title of this thread? ;)
That's a fun idea for sure. I was never so thrilled with Nugent as I heard him on the radio or albums. Then I saw him live in Oakland at a 'Monsters of Rock' and his tunes became alive. As for the tortoise, I will extort something out of the seller if it's not a female, or spill the beans on its history. Moneyball, also an Oakland phenomena. Of course the seller can always come clean and take that potential out of the realm of the possible. It's a two headed gamble.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
That's a fun idea for sure. I was never so thrilled with Nugent as I heard him on the radio or albums. Then I saw him live in Oakland at a 'Monsters of Rock' and his tunes became alive. As for the tortoise, I will extort something out of the seller if it's not a female, or spill the beans on its history. Moneyball, also an Oakland phenomena. Of course the seller can always come clean and take that potential out of the realm of the possible. It's a two headed gamble.
Monsters of Rock? 1979 right? I got that on VHS (transferred it to DVD a few years back...wanna copy?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Monsters of Rock? 1979 right? I got that on VHS (transferred it to DVD a few years back...wanna copy?
I went to many Monsters of Rock, and that year seems about right. The T-shirt with Nugent riding a Dinosaur. I also saw AC/DC, BOC, Aerosmith, a bunch of others. My sister's boyfriend at the time was into all day venues and we would go, find a place in the stands and chill the whole day with binoculars checking out the mayhem below. Overall all I think BOC was the best in that venue. They came onstage inside a godzilla mouth all playing guitars or base (I don't really know the difference to look at them from so far away) and they just jammed Godzilla for a long time, then came out of the mouth and played a really long set. Yeah Sammy Hagar did a pretty good set too, at one of them. Think about it. I think the tickets were under $15, you saw two or three major bands and many other up and comers. Oh well.

I'll pass on the offer for a DVD, best for me to leave THAT past in the past. I listen to what is now oldies on the radio in my garage. The local kids seem to like it.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
A hard-core turtle aficionado and a rock-enthusiast. I like you, @Will. Exceptional tortoises as well...
@Turtlepete do you do TFO conversations? I replied to an interest in another thread (fertile ove retention) and no response. Man it's bumming me out LOL.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Will : I looked back to see which reply you're talking about and I found nothing regarding fertile ova retention. I wonder if you hit "post reply."

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
@Will : I looked back to see which reply you're talking about and I found nothing regarding fertile ova retention. I wonder if you hit "post reply."
Well TFO now calls PMs 'conversations', and yes their is a record that I send @Turtlepete a 'conversation'.