We have a "PIP"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Who can resist such a sweet face! Loved getting to share the experience with everybody, sorta like a labor room with all the family "helping" out and adding encouragement. :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Precious little baby face. I would be so scared taking care of something so little like that. Ruby's only 10 months old and I watch her all of the time I can't imagine watching this one. Yes I agree she needs her rest. ;) Thanks for posting Terry.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
This is a "mix" cherryhead.. and here's why:

An '06 hatchling from a Colombian female -

1Arrowhead3.jpg

And today's hatchling -

a120PIPARROW.jpg

Now let's compare the nose patterns -

1Arrowhead2.jpg

a120PIPARROW2.jpg

Those nose 'patterns' come from a Guyana male.

PLUS.. I am concerned with the similar "split-scutes" on the carapace of this Aug. '09 'cherryhead-mix'.. and today's -

09BR817a-1.jpg

09BR817b-1.jpg

09BR817-1.jpg

a120Splitscute.jpg

See? Not sure why(?)!

I am trying to hatch "pure" Brazilian 'cherryheads'! I'm getting closer. Some claim I'm breeding for color.. I'm getting colors! I have separated the Northerns from the Brazilians.. and it may take awhile longer; only time will tell. There are no Northern males with my Brazilian/Cherryhead females - unless they can climb a 16" plywood 'fence'.. :D

This project is now in it's 12th year of raising and selecting 'breeders' for quality and colors. Visit my sites for more of the story with 100's of pics.. and maybe some insight into caring for them.

Thanks for looking...

Terry K

Bryan

10 Year Member!
So now you're saying that the nose pattern shows that it's a hybrid? There is a large variation in scale patterns on cherryheads, I believe that I have a hatchling that has very similar scale patterns as the one shown above. And it is most certainly not a hybrid. The extremely dark carapace also shows strong cherryhead traits. Unless there's something my amateur eye isn't seeing the one with a dark carapace could be a pure cherryhead.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Bryan said:
So now you're saying that the nose pattern shows that it's a hybrid? There is a large variation in scale patterns on cherryheads, I believe that I have a hatchling that has very similar scale patterns as the one shown above. And it is most certainly not a hybrid. The extremely dark carapace also shows strong cherryhead traits. Unless there's something my amateur eye isn't seeing the one with a dark carapace could be a pure cherryhead.

Bryan I'm saying exactly what I said.. not what you are trying to read into it or imply.

That particular nose pattern has been thrown by one of the Guyana males in my group. It [ the nose pattern ] has appeared on maybe a half dozen of my "northern" hatchlings since '05! The hatchlings from my 'cherryhead' female only represents less than 10% ( at best ) of my hatchlings total since then.. so that pattern could only have been created by him.

I agree and don't deny that dark carapace colors with extremely large light "blotches" I call them.. do show the cherryhead traits.

Bottom line: those nose patterns are the only thing that makes me believe that my Guyana male got in the action on this particular egg!!! I'm not trying to create 'hybrids.. remember I'm striving for "pure".

I'm curious Bryan.. you keep mentioning being an amateur - what is your experience with redfoots? That's a fair question isn't it?

Terry K

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Redfoot NERD said:
Bryan said:

Bryan I'm saying exactly what I said.. not what you are trying to read into it or imply.

That particular nose pattern has been thrown by one of the Guyana males in my group. It [ the nose pattern ] has appeared on maybe a half dozen of my "northern" hatchlings since '05! The hatchlings from my 'cherryhead' female only represents less than 10% ( at best ) of my hatchlings total since then.. so that pattern could only have been created by him.

I agree and don't deny that dark carapace colors with extremely large light "blotches" I call them.. do show the cherryhead traits.

Bottom line: those nose patterns are the only thing that makes me believe that my Guyana male got in the action on this particular egg!!! I'm not trying to create 'hybrids.. remember I'm striving for "pure".

I'm curious Bryan.. you keep mentioning being an amateur - what is your experience with redfoots? That's a fair question isn't it?

Terry K

A fair question would be why you knowingly decided to hybridize Northerns and Brazilians? Was it for $? Was it to experiment? I mean animals "hop the fence" all the time in this world, however most times that hybridization is knowingly attempted there is a method to the madness, what was yours?

I can honestly say that until I 100% knew how long sperm retention lasted in these animals that I would not purchase a single cherryhead from you on the off chance that it had some northern blood in it. Luckily for you a lot of people will think that they are "cute" and will shell out big bucks for them anyway.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Our little guy is absorbing his yolk-sac fine and we should have pics of his face soon...

NERD

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I can't wait to see the pics :D Thank you so much for sharing all this with us Terry :) It is very nice of you!

M

Maggie Cummings

Love the pictures Terry...and the lessons. Keep'em coming, I enjoy them very much.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Terry (Nerd) and Bryan, I am personally enjoying this discusion about mixes and if they should or should not be allow, BUT it's starting to get a little into more the debate tone. How about we move the rest of this fascinating and thought provoking talk into the debate area?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Jacqui said:
Terry (Nerd) and Bryan, I am personally enjoying this discusion about mixes and if they should or should not be allow, BUT it's starting to get a little into more the debate tone. How about we move the rest of this fascinating and thought provoking talk into the debate area?

Jacqui that's fine but I don't have anything to say.. never have. I explained how and why it occured and now am waiting for it all to play out. All of this rhetoric is off-topic. And I didn't intend it to ever be. They can debate all they want.. :D

I started this thread as a chronological(sp?) pictoral of an egg hatching and how to get them "started" so they can and will thrive for a long time. This has just begun.. many pics coming...

Terry K

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
O.K. --- this ole Sony H20 came thru -- left them big so you can see the details! Be sure to Click to view full size image And again to go full screen.

That is the egg-tooth that 'chiseled ' the pips -

aBRFace.jpg

What a face -

aBRFace3.jpg

aBRFace4.jpg

And legs -

aBRFace2.jpg

And it's not even Tuesday!..
36_10_1.gif

Talk to him........

Terry K

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
2 questions if you dont mind, do you think the shell will stay that dark? and what do you think the first meal will be?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
He says thank you!

dmmj - Most likely the carapace will stay dark. The first I will offer will most likely be a small hibiscus leaf.

Terry K

Bryan

10 Year Member!
The really dark skin also screams "cherryhead".

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Redfoot NERD said:
Bryan said:
The really dark skin also screams "cherryhead".

I'm convinced!!!

NERD

Again though I am not Carl, Doug Beard, Allegra, or any of a number of experienced cherryhead breeders, so I'm just thinking aloud.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Keep with us guys.. we have a 'first-bite' video coming! :cool:

This little guy is doing fantastic! A couple days out of the egg and absorbing his yolk-sac fine..

a126YolkSAC.jpg

BOWDOWN.gif

Terry K

( I'm a goofy OLD dude.. ain't I? )

Status
Not open for further replies.