Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
tortadise said:
Tom said:
I'm no social genius, so I usually ask. Usually along the lines of, "Should I bring something? Maybe some chips and dip, drinks or desert?" All these subtle unwritten rules always get me into trouble. I mean well, but I'm afraid I'm a bit of a social moron.

HAHA me too. Id end up bringing popcorn or something weird thinking it was an ok thing to bring. Cant go wrong with some of those lil smokies sausages. Those are always good.

Yeah. I'd bring the little sausages to the vegetarians house... :p

You know... vegetarians... people that don't eat meat. They have that in Texas don't they? They must have a few around Austin... :D

haidao88

5 Year Member
[/quote]

My husband and I solved this problem. We made up a new animal saying so no birds would die :p

Next time say, "Hey you can bury 2 bones with 1 dig" LOL It gets the same point across. The dog only digs one hole to bury his 2 bones..

OMG did I just honestly write this on the internet?? LOL
[/quote]

Lol please tell your husband he is a smart man

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Team Gomberg said:
My husband and I solved this problem. We made up a new animal saying so no birds would die :p

Next time say, "Hey you can bury 2 bones with 1 dig" LOL It gets the same point across. The dog only digs one hole to bury his 2 bones..

Yeah but some animal still died to get the bones... :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
chocolate dessert,
lil smokies sausages
Wine
Beer
cheeseballs.
brownies, potato salad
guacamole and chips
salad.
homemade ice cream
Make melon balls--both fruit and alcohol drenched melon balls :p
Wine
Wine

Now....this sounds like a party....:D:D:D:D:D

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Cowboy_Ken said:
Coors Banquet Beer…24 pack-12 for you and 12 for the other guests.

I like your thinking, Cowboy. However, I'd switch out the Coors for Moosehead.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
harris said:
Cowboy_Ken said:
Coors Banquet Beer…24 pack-12 for you and 12 for the other guests.

I like your thinking, Cowboy. However, I'd switch out the Coors for Moosehead.

I'm a Bud man myself, or Leinenkugels.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Turtle soup!!! Yummmm!!! Bet she'll think twice before she leaves her tort with you again! Mwahahahahahaha!

Don't take this so serous. I'm just kidding...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
My fall back when I don't know what to bring is the chocolate eclairs from the freezer section in and grocery store. Just keep them in the freezer, dump them in a dish before you go and they will be thawed by the time it is time to eat desert. Just keep them inside whomevers house because you don't want them to be all stuck together by the time you are ready to eat them.

Also, have fun. Let this be a break and enjoy yourself. Don't stress about what is socially correct or not just be yourself and they will see what your TFO friends see :).

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: What should I bring?

Tom said:
Team Gomberg said:

Yeah but some animal still died to get the bones... :p

Milkbones! Hahaha

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Tom said:
tortadise said:
Tom said:
I'm no social genius, so I usually ask. Usually along the lines of, "Should I bring something? Maybe some chips and dip, drinks or desert?" All these subtle unwritten rules always get me into trouble. I mean well, but I'm afraid I'm a bit of a social moron.

HAHA me too. Id end up bringing popcorn or something weird thinking it was an ok thing to bring. Cant go wrong with some of those lil smokies sausages. Those are always good.

You know... vegetarians... people that don't eat meat. They have that in Texas don't they? They must have a few around Austin... :D

HAHA. Oops I didnt realize it was a vegetarian deal. Yeah most of the veggie eaters are in Austin for sure. Were all meat up in Dallas.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Re: RE: What should I bring?

tortadise said:
Tom said:
tortadise said:
Tom said:

HAHA. Oops I didnt realize it was a vegetarian deal. Yeah most of the veggie eaters are in Austin for sure. Were all meat up in Dallas.

If you are actually going to a vegetarians you also have to avoid a lot of stuff meat eaters don't think of like gelatin or animal fatty acids.
I'd say this time of year you can't go wrong with a trifle in a disposable tin or an unneeded bowl. Buy an angel food cake and cut it into slices. Put it in the tin as a layer of cake, layer of whipped cream, layer of strawberries and repeat. The best part is it will look homemade ;)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So what did you bring and how was the BBQ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Momof4 said:
So what did you bring and how was the BBQ?

Oh man! I'm so sorry I accepted her invitation.

I brought a nice tray of fresh fruit with a French Cream dip. It looked and tasted wonderful! BUT...

I was the only person who brought anything, so it looks like I didn't have to bring something. There were about 30 people there. She lives on a very long block, and all of her neighbors were there. I guess this is something she does frequently. She had told me to be there at noon, and I got there at 12:15. People were still straggling in by 1:30p and the meat was still on the coals. I didn't know any of those people and none of them had an interest in turtles and tortoises. It was in a high end section of town and they were all way out of my league. I was so uncomfortable.

Finally, at around 1:30p I sought out my hostess and told her I had to leave. She begged me not to go, but I persevered. To be honest with you, I don't know why she invited me. I was not any kind of an addition to her party, didn't have anything to contribute, and really felt like a 5th wheel.

Chaulk it up to a learning experience. I'll never do that again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You sell your self short. You are a very interesting person, easy to be around and I enjoy my time with you each time we meet. Wish you lived closer. I'd invite you over for family dinners. We could sit beside the tortoise pen and drink iced tea.

YOU might not have been all that interested in the interaction, but I bet your hostess was genuinely interested in interacting with you.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Sorry, that stinks!! I have felt this exact way many times!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom said:

YOU might not have been all that interested in the interaction, but I bet your hostess was genuinely interested in interacting with you.

I didn't even see my hostess until I sought her out to tell her I was leaving.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's too bad. Sorry it wasn't a good time. I hate being in those kinds of situations. She may have wanted you there because she isn't all about the uppity ones, but has to play along. She was probably hoping to be able to spend more time with a real person instead of the fakes. It's funny though, the uppieties didn't bring anything, that should have made them feel out of place. Mark your calendar, so next year you will have your "sorry I have to decline" excuse all ready:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
wellington said:
Mark your calendar, so next year you will have your "sorry I have to decline" excuse all ready:)

No, in order to get out of there I had to consent to coming next month. But for sure I'm going to quiz her about how many guests will be there. And if its just going to be her daughter and I, then I may just say ok. I'm sure she's just trying to show her appreciation for my taking care of her tortoises while she was on vacation.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yvonne G said:
wellington said:
Mark your calendar, so next year you will have your "sorry I have to decline" excuse all ready:)

No, in order to get out of there I had to consent to coming next month. But for sure I'm going to quiz her about how many guests will be there. And if its just going to be her daughter and I, then I may just say ok. I'm sure she's just trying to show her appreciation for my taking care of her tortoises while she was on vacation.

By inviting you once, it would have covered the "she only invited me to thank me for tortoise sitting" type scenario. She instead invited you again, that means there is more there then a simple "thank you".

I agree with Tom you sell yourself way too short. I too enjoyed my time with you, even though it was an extremely sad and stressful day for you. You have no idea how often I wished I could just have you pop in or me pop in on you or just call you up and say "Let's meet at ... for lunch". If real life didn't keep coming up with other plans for me, I would be doing a roadtrip to CA to just to see you again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Its unanimous. You are not going to get anyone who has actually met you to agree that she only invited you out of common courtesy. Sorry Yvonne. We love you and think you are wonderful. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.