Why do they even keep the tortoise

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
I was thinking this case similar to people having their dogs and cats wear shoes and thinking their movements after putting the shoes on as "cute", but in reality this is hindering their ability to walk and they would feel really uncomfortable.

Xetryia

WI
I was thinking this case similar to people having their dogs and cats wear shoes and thinking their movements after putting the shoes on as "cute", but in reality this is hindering their ability to walk and they would feel really uncomfortable.
Shouldn't humans be nude as well? Should suit and tie companies be sued for employee cruelty :D? Could think of it as a part time uniform for round the clock lifetime care... Most tortoise clothing is a crochet belt that goes around the middle of the shell and sits on top only and not like those pants though. The pants are quite ugly.

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
I look at it like this they LOVE THERE ANIMALS IF they want to baby it up let them and plus is it outside? No it's a inside tort from the looks of it and it look really healthy.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
I look at it like this they LOVE THERE ANIMALS IF they want to baby it up let them and plus is it outside? No it's a inside tort from the looks of it and it look really healthy.
Well a tort this size is recommended to be kept outdoors, as floors inside is cold, cannot be dug, too small of an area for it and I doubt if it can hold humidity. I do agree with the tort looking healthy

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
Well a tort this size is recommended to be kept outdoors, as floors inside is cold, cannot be dug, too small of an area for it and I doubt if it can hold humidity. I do agree with the tort looking healthy
Well what if they want to keep there baby inside???
They sure is taking good care of it.

If they want to treat it like their baby let them.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Shouldn't humans be nude as well? Should suit and tie companies be sued for employee cruelty :D? Could think of it as a part time uniform for round the clock lifetime care... Most tortoise clothing is a crochet belt that goes around the middle of the shell and sits on top only and not like those pants though. The pants are quite ugly.
Ever considered evolution? Humans have evolved to lose most of their body hair, that's why we need clothes to keep warm. If you can go out in the winter naked, then your agreement would be valid.

Anyway, if the pants for torts are all designed as you mentioned, then I guess it really isn't that big of a deal, perhaps I did overreact.

Last edited:

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Well what if they want to keep there baby inside???
They sure is taking good care of it.

If they want to treat it like their baby let them.
Look I've already accepted that putting those pants on the tort is no big deal, but adult torts really shouldn't be kept inside. This is a sulcata we are talking about, they are reptiles, that means they are poikilotherms, unlike us mammals, they can only stay warm from the external temperature, since the floor in the house is cold, it really isn't optimal for the tort, unless...
1. The tort was brought inside only for the pants and the image and it was put back into the backyard after a short while
2. The tort is kept indoors, but can meet every requirement needed to keep the tort i.e. Substrate, temperature, humidity, enclosure size (which is difficult for sulcata because of its size)
3. The tort is kept temporarily indoors due to the very cold weather outside and the tort definitely can't survive outside under such condition, and they must have some way to warm up the tort.

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
Look I've already accepted that putting those pants on the tort is no big deal, but adult torts really shouldn't be kept inside. This is a sulcata we are talking about, they are reptiles, that means they are poikilotherms, unlike us mammals, they can only stay warm from the external temperature, since the floor in the house is cold, it really isn't optimal for the tort, unless...
1. The tort was brought inside only for the pants and the image and it was put back into the backyard after a short while
2. The tort is kept indoors, but can meet every requirement needed to keep the tort i.e. Substrate, temperature, humidity, enclosure size (which is difficult for sulcata because of its size)
3. The tort is kept temporarily indoors due to the very cold weather outside and the tort definitely can't survive outside under such condition, and they must have some way to warm up the tort.
Glad we both have a understanding

Thats all folks.

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
Hm so you just ignored everything I typed other than "I accepted the pants is no big deal" part. If you still don't agree with adult sulcata shouldn't be kept indoors, then I feel sorry for you
I agree adult sulcata torts should be kept outdoors to be honiest it's healthier for them

Xetryia

WI
Lol seasonal clothing. PTP for president. I'm just messing with you.

cheers2lizzie

Miami, FL

That probably happens, but generally cat/dog booties are supposed to protect their feet from the elements. Even though a dog/cat paw pad is thick and somewhat calloused, snow and very hot pavement/asphalt (like we get here in Miami) can burn them. This recently happened to my dog at a Humane Society walk-a-thon. He has been licking them constantly and I've had to apply pup-ointment. I saw several dogs with booties on and I wish I had done the same. My poor little dude.

Tangent aside, that Tort is rocking that denim. I do wonder how that dog tag is staying on. Hopefully it was just placed there and being balanced.

Donny's MaMa

Arizona
Please don’t forget how many children drown every summer with proper care and supervision in AZ ! And these people care more for their children .
100% I have been in Arizona for 4 years now ( from Cali) & you don't hear about the drownings out there like you do here, people leaving their kids in hot cars, wrong way drivers etc etc ok i'm done lol

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
So I've asked around, and they said the tag is stuck on the tort with some kind of sticker that can be easily torn. If that's REALLY the case, then all that might not be that big of a deal. What do you guys think?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
So I've asked around, and they said the tag is stuck on the tort with some kind of sticker that can be easily torn. If that's REALLY the case, then all that might not be that big of a deal. What do you guys think?

That kind of defeats the purpose. Epoxy is more permanent. Placing it in the center of the scute away from the active growth lines is usually safe.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
That kind of defeats the purpose. Epoxy is more permanent. Placing it in the center of the scute away from the active growth lines is usually safe.

Franklins used to be a dab of super glue in the middle. Eventually it popped off (kind of like glue on nails from Walmart do) with him doing russian tortoise things, and I just never put it back on.

Hmmm actually Franklin is going to a new vet soon for a beak trim because I can’t do it myself and need help, and I think I want to have it back on him if I have to leave him there for a little. Not that I couldn’t recognize him compared to other Russians but it’d make me feel better.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I guess I take back what I said. I remembered I had this lying around. He’s grown a little since I made it for him!
(This was the cats frost time meeting Franklin up close, he was scared of the “moving rock”)

IMG_0902.jpg

LARRY5469

Georgia
Those things are indeed "cute" but I doubt the chicken in the video I saw that was wearing "socks" thought it was cute. When I figure out how to upload video I may try to post it here if that is acceptable.