Why not share your location???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, florida
If my opinion counts. I agree. Im desperate to find a local friend that I can talk too. Tom is across the country from me. Lol.. I'm in Lakeland, Florida - home of really nothing! But everyone knows us as the bathroom stop between Tampa and Orlando...

Tillasaurus

5 Year Member
Hi Mary,

I'm in Safety Harbor, just on the other side of Tampa.....

Kathleen

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Vishnu2 said:
If I can be honest I think people feel like the mods who are the most helpful people on the forum (supposedly) know our location by IP address (which is logged by the forum). In which case they can be helpful. One thing to consider though when reading my post is that people that are knowledgeable that are NOT mods can not read our IP address. That is all. Just answering your thread question. ;)

I don't think any of the Mods will usually do this. I know I never do. I feel if the person doesn't want to give their location out, that's their business. :cool: Plus IP addresses are not always accurate either.

mary t said:
I'm in Lakeland, Florida - home of really nothing! But everyone knows us as the bathroom stop between Tampa and Orlando...

:D Thanks for the chuckle!

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Well Im happy to have the verbal feedback and recognition of so many, what makes me laugh is that clearly there is some information technology disconnect because you can list your state in the bio section and it shows up under your username. Thats what I was advocating, so instead of "A Land Far Away" it could say Florida or Tennessee for example (Sorry Jacqui, not taking shots at you it was just a convenient example).

Oh, and Tom agrees, so doesn't this automaticly become tortoise forum law :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Livingstone said:
Oh, and Tom agrees, so doesn't this automaticly become tortoise forum law :tort:

Hey!!! That is NOT helping... :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Livingstone said:
Well Im happy to have the verbal feedback and recognition of so many, what makes me laugh is that clearly there is some information technology disconnect because you can list your state in the bio section and it shows up under your username. Thats what I was advocating, so instead of "A Land Far Away" it could say Florida or Tennessee for example (Sorry Jacqui, not taking shots at you it was just a convenient example).

No problem, I did use to have my state listed (Nebraska) and then I went for cute instead. I think at one time it said, "middle of a cornfield". It's just each users choice, much like if you want to list all the tortoises you have, list none of them, or maybe even all the humans and animals within your homestead... all personal choice. Usually folks do mention it somewhere within their introduction thread. Also was not to long ago, some folks made a stink about it because Yvonne always asks where folks lived, which is why she now makes it clear that you do not have to tell where you live but it would be nice if you did.

Livingstone said:

... and no. :p

jason g.

5 Year Member
I'm cool with everyone knowing were I live. I wouldn't mind finding someone close by to have tort chats with in person; )

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Livingstone said:
@ Len, we should get together some time for a beer and tort chat
That sounds great, I have unlimited numbers of people to have some beers with but for tort chat, ZERO.....except the tourist that stop by, with questions,I think the best question was when a man knocked on the front door and ask if I knew there was a big turtle in the back yard, and he was serious.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Len said:
Livingstone said:
@ Len, we should get together some time for a beer and tort chat
That sounds great, I have unlimited numbers of people to have some beers with but for tort chat, ZERO.....except the tourist that stop by, with questions,I think the best question was when a man knocked on the front door and ask if I knew there was a big turtle in the back yard, and he was serious.

Did you look at him with an equally serious face and tell him it was a mini dinosaur, not a turtle?

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Biff Malibu said:
"heard". Yes. Yes indeed.

Or ya know, people in the IT business who do it for a living, or people in law enforcement. Oh, the options are countless.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
NinjaTortoises said:
I dont because im scared D: just kidding

What was scary to me, was once in here we had a program/option where folks could pinpoint you right down to your house and see exactly where you lived.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Jacqui said:
NinjaTortoises said:
I dont because im scared D: just kidding

What was scary to me, was once in here we had a program/option where folks could pinpoint you right down to your house and see exactly where you lived.

Like "Google street view"? By the way Jacqui, you're parked on the wrong side of the road and trash doesn't go out till tomorrow. ;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Vishnu2 said:
Like "Google street view"? By the way Jacqui, you're parked on the wrong side of the road and trash doesn't go out till tomorrow. ;)

Umm actually trash day is Thursdays. :p How is parked infront of my house, the wrong side of the road? :D

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Jacqui said:
Vishnu2 said:

Umm actually trash day is Thursdays. :p How is parked infront of my house, the wrong side of the road? :D
Isn't today Wednesday? Sigh, the life with twins.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Jacqui said:

Hahah wow thats insane, pinpoint fellow members, but in reality i wouldnt be too worried about people here, you guys seem nice so it wouldnt be too much of a scare, now if this were facebook and you could pinpoint people, now there, i would be scared for my life lol at least here we have a common interest, i hope haha

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
NinjaTortoises said:
Jacqui said:

Hahah wow thats insane, pinpoint fellow members, but in reality i wouldnt be too worried about people here, you guys seem nice so it wouldnt be too much of a scare, now if this were facebook and you could pinpoint people, now there, i would be scared for my life lol at least here we have a common interest, i hope haha

Eh, FB people are harmless too NinjaTortoises. Now Craigslist people would scare the crap out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.