Why would Posts/Threads be deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
bettinge said:
It sure seems to me that there are a few members (maybe three) that love the battle more than the debate. This is no fun for anyone. I sure wish we could find a way to let these "few" know they are disruptive, because we should give them the benifit of doubt and assume they do not know they are disruptive and hurt peoples feelings.

I don't think Mods should feel like there hurting peoples feelings by giving warnings. As Kelly leaving demonstrates, good poeple are lost by letting these "few" run wild.

Tim/Robin was right, Stells had great photos, insight, experience and advice.

Am I off base here? What do you think?

The answer to that would be it's hard to respond to something that has been deleted. We weren't able to see the responses so how could you say that people were disruptive if you haven't seen what they wrote? I myself cannot say whether or not anyone was rude since I didn't read the posts. Therefore it's kind of one sided to make that kind of assumption. There's always two sides to a story.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure Betts was referring to disruption all across the forum, not just on that one thread (by those terrible "three!!").

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Well, I guess I am just about senile now! I can't imagine who the "terrible three" are. I don't have any complaints, except that I wish I could see this thread as I missed the last few posts. So in other words, if someone wants to delete a whole thread, because they don't like what was said, they just have to request it? I never knew that.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Tim/Robin said:
emysemys said:
I agree, but those so-called "three" also have the same rights as we all do. They're entitled to their opinions too.
They sure do, but they are ruining the forum for us all!!

Nobody has ruined anything for me, personally.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
terryo said:
Well, I guess I am just about senile now! I can't imagine who the "terrible three" are. I don't have any complaints, except that I wish I could see this thread as I missed the last few posts. So in other words, if someone wants to delete a whole thread, because they don't like what was said, they just have to request it? I never knew that.

It was the thread started by the same person who asked for it to be deleted. Anyone who "owns" a thread has the same option.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
bettinge said:
It sure seems to me that there are a few members (maybe three) that love the battle more than the debate. This is no fun for anyone. I sure wish we could find a way to let these "few" know they are disruptive, because we should give them the benifit of doubt and assume they do not know they are disruptive and hurt peoples feelings.

I don't think Mods should feel like there hurting peoples feelings by giving warnings. As Kelly leaving demonstrates, good poeple are lost by letting these "few" run wild.

We don't feel we are hurting their feelings as much as trying to give them the same rights and to not make charges lightly. We talk it over among ourselves to be sure we aren't over reacting or reading more into something, then go with a majority rule. Amazingly, we normally agree on when we need to send out official warnings, especially since we all have different things that "trip our triggers".

I think if you feel somebody is crossing the line on a thread you should let a Mod know, because we all see things differently and perhaps we fail to notice how something is being said, so it helps if folks point this out to us. So send us PMs telling us feelings your getting from any such thread.

Second, you could also send a PM to the person and NICELY let them know how what their writing is coming off. Just know, they may turn around and send you a not so nice PM in response. Just be sure to save all correspondence just incase it gets blown out of place.

Meg90 said:
What she said was not very nice. I do not really want to post it, but I will if I get more requests I'm not one for secrets. And I want to see that thread. Even if it comes back locked. I want to see the posts there that were deemed so offensive.

We haven't as Mods discussed this yet, but I can say I for one would immediately delete any public posting of a PM. PMs are private. The only exception is if you receive a PM which is threatening, ect.., Those should be sent to the Mods in case action needs to be taken by us.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
That's an interesting thing. That you can have something deleted just for being the OP.

I had a similar incident on another forum. Someone posted a thread, didn't like how people responded, and then deleted it herself because she was a moderator. On that forum, we saw it as an abuse of power.

The thread showed several geckos in one tank all with nipped, regrowing tails. The OP had posted because they got the tank for free, and wanted to show it off, but all anyone said about the thread was why were all those geckos housed together, when it was plain because of their lack of tails, that no one got along? She was upset (angry) by this reaction and removed the thread. It caused a similar stir to what is happening here now.

My point is, this is the internet. Its PUBLIC. Anything that goes out, is viewable by anyone who comes across it.

If the choice is made to post, then its your responsibility to take whatever comments (so long as they are within the rules of the site) that come your way. I have had responses that didn't "fit" in with what I wanted of my threads when I first posted them. But I have never requested them deleted.

Along the lines of personal messages--yes, I believe they are meant to be private. But this too, should be taken with caution. Once an email is sent, it becomes the property of both the sender, and the receiver. And no, what was said was not nice. I will however, not post it.

But IMO that deleted thread was hostile from the very first post. The tone and attitude it projected was exactly what it got mirrored back.

I did not like feeling like I had to defend myself--or my posting habits, nor I'm sure did anyone else. I also feel that it was unfair of that thread to keep saying "some people" when referring to annoying, or incorrect posters, but no names were ever named. That in itself is aggressive. To even infer that we have a single member here whose posts are unwelcome. I know several others reacted the way I did--hurt, defensive and upset.

Maybe its best that the thread not come back at all.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Meg90 said:
My point is, this is the internet. Its PUBLIC. Anything that goes out, is viewable by anyone who comes across it.

If the choice is made to post, then its your responsibility to take whatever comments (so long as they are within the rules of the site) that come your way.

The person starting the thread asked for it to be removed. The thread was becoming abusive in nature and leading to more folks moving to crossing the lines of acceptable behavior. The choice was made to delete it. If you need a reason why try this rule of the site:

"The Tortoise Forum .org Team shall be the sole arbitrator of what does and what does not violate community standards."

Meg90 said:
I did not like feeling like I had to defend myself--or my posting habits, nor I'm sure did anyone else. I also feel that it was unfair of that thread to keep saying "some people" when referring to annoying, or incorrect posters, but no names were ever named. That in itself is aggressive. To even infer that we have a single member here whose posts are unwelcome. I know several others reacted the way I did--hurt, defensive and upset.
Actually if she had named names, she would have been in trouble.

Meg90 said:

Now on this I can completely agree with you. :) It's the kinda of a thread we can wonder why (either why folks do post or why folks think they shouldn't), but asking the question can only raise hurt, hard feelings, misunderstanding, ect..,

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Meg90 said:

I don't agree.

I also don't think Stells should leave the forum but I didn't read the thread before it was deleted so I don't know what was going on BUT having been on this forum for quite a while I can only guess what or more specifically who turned the thread around!!!

Stells had a good point and was probably only expressing something that a lot of others where thinking (me included). Maybe the mods should take a look at the issue a bit more seriously and try and curb 'newbies' or people with less experience spouting off incorrect or not complete advice to other newbies. I don't know how this can be accomplished but when it all boils down to it, it should be about the torts and not egos.

Here's a thought why don't you go back to those threads where there were issues similar to this in the past year or two and see which posters are at the heart of it and then monitor those posters!!

Back to lurking.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Maybe that thread should just come back locked.

At this point I'm sure it feels like there was a chapter ripped out of the book to alot of people. Its uncomfortable to be in the dark.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I agree with you Meg...I missed the last few posts, and would really love to see what all the fuss is about.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
JourneyTort said:
Stells had a good point and was probably only expressing something that a lot of others where thinking (me included). Maybe the mods should take a look at the issue a bit more seriously and try and curb 'newbies' or people with less experience spouting off incorrect or not complete advice to other newbies. I don't know how this can be accomplished but when it all boils down to it, it should be about the torts and not egos.

We have been talking about it (and this entire thread all day long). There is one super major problem...there is no right answer as to what it takes to have good knowledge. Plus is it right to keep somebody from posting even if they are not giving good advice? Who is to say what is good advice?

JourneyTort said:
Here's a thought why don't you go back to those threads where there were issues similar to this in the past year or two and see which posters are at the heart of it and then monitor those posters!!

We do have people who we have on our radar. We do give out more advice and warnings then you might imagine.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
no comment

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
bettinge said:

I, for one, am somewhat of a social moron. I would certainly want to know if I were one of "the three" or even if I had a single post that someone felt was disruptive or inappropriate. People can't improve themselves or modify their behavior if they don't know there is a problem. I'm one of those people that sometimes doesn't pick up on obvious hints, but I'm always happy to adjust my behavior on the rare occasion that some one points it out to me. Isn't that one of the reasons why we have the ability to PM?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I myself would love to know where all this bad advice on tortoises is? I've been on here for more then a year now and have really never seen any advice that would do damage or kill a tortoise. So they might have some flaky skin that we can't agree how it comes off or we're a few degrees off on the temperture a certain tortoise should be kept at. If someone posts something that wasn't right usually someone will come in and question it. I would much rather think that people are trying to help then to hurt anything. Do we really want to discourage people from trying to help others. And me myself would rather see someone post and give me a somewhat decent answer then none at all. At least that person is trying to help. I myself have seen a few posts since I've been here that get thrown to the back page without any response at all and if I see it I'll try and throw it back to the first page until someone that knows more then I do sees it and posts an answer for that person. If someone has an example of a post that gives really bad advice could you please post it for me because I tend to think that that doesn't happen that often if ever. And by the way I love all of the personalities on TFO whether they are offensive or they love everyone all of the time. We're all people with different opinions and we all have different ways that we express them. Sometimes we need not to take it so personal and just realize that they don't see it the way that we do. Of course I always like a good debate. :) And if I remember correctly earlier today Danny said the thread would be put back. I've got to admit though that I too am extremely curious what all the fuss was about. :)

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Oh no! I missed all the drama! That's sad that Stells left :(

I never knew where to post was such a controversial topic. :(

M

Maggie Cummings

Candy said:
I myself would love to know where all this bad advice on tortoises is? I've been on here for more then a year now and have really never seen any advice that would do damage or kill a tortoise. So they might have some flaky skin that we can't agree how it comes off or we're a few degrees off on the temperture a certain tortoise should be kept at. If someone posts something that wasn't right usually someone will come in and question it. I would much rather think that people are trying to help then to hurt anything. Do we really want to discourage people from trying to help others. And me myself would rather see someone post and give me a somewhat decent answer then none at all. At least that person is trying to help. I myself have seen a few posts since I've been here that get thrown to the back page without any response at all and if I see it I'll try and throw it back to the first page until someone that knows more then I do sees it and posts an answer for that person. If someone has an example of a post that gives really bad advice could you please post it for me because I tend to think that that doesn't happen that often if ever. And by the way I love all of the personalities on TFO whether they are offensive or they love everyone all of the time. We're all people with different opinions and we all have different ways that we express them. Sometimes we need not to take it so personal and just realize that they don't see it the way that we do. Of course I always like a good debate. :) And if I remember correctly earlier today Danny said the thread would be put back. I've got to admit though that I too am extremely curious what all the fuss was about. :)
If the thread is reinstated all the good stuff that you want to read will be deleted.

Didn't you read the guy who was going to keep a Sulcata on the floor of his dorm room for the semester? Or my favorite was the kid who was going on a two and a half week vacation and wanted to leave his hatchling tort home alone no food no lights...that's just an example that springs to mind and both of those were within the last 3 months or so.

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL
I'm glad I found this forum. I got a lot of great advice and encouragement, and I'm sure Themistocles is a happier tort because of it. You're all pretty nifty people in my book. I'm usually the quiet wallflower, but e-hugs to anyone that wants one.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
no hugs for me E or otherwise,hugs are the number one spreader of cooties.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
maggie3fan said:
Candy said:
If the thread is reinstated all the good stuff that you want to read will be deleted.

Didn't you read the guy who was going to keep a Sulcata on the floor of his dorm room for the semester? Or my favorite was the kid who was going on a two and a half week vacation and wanted to leave his hatchling tort home alone no food no lights...that's just an example that springs to mind and both of those were within the last 3 months or so.

I was talking about an example of people giving them bad advice on taking care of their tortoise not the people who posted the thread asking for help. As I recall the advice given to the one going on vacation was not bad advice at all. That's what I was talking about. And if they brought the post back I would hope they would leave it as is so we could have a point of reference here. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.