2 year star having leg problem

sidsmasher

5 Year Member
hello , for the past 2 days my star is having some problem with his left leg, he keeps the leg still.. he can move but he really has to strech his right leg .. which today i observed is slightly reddish....his diet includes okra(bhindi), guar bean(phali), cucumber, cottage cheese(panner ,very rarely).. the reason i think is because of the developing shell which above is legs is sharp and pointed. and maybe got his leg injured by repeated grazing while moving.. plz im really scared and need your advice, there arent any exoic vet in delhi, india ...also yesterday he had diarrhea, reason i guess was the beans, so i removed it and now its fine, but still his leg problem is giving me nightmares. HELP

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Some pics would be helpful. What's his enclosure like? Temps? How about his uv requirements?

— Gus

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would immediately stop feeding Panner...that is a milk based cheese....this is hazardous to the health of the tort, they system is not designed to process this junk...also can block their digestive system...a blocked digestive system can affect the mobility of the tort....

Do you offer soaks for the tortoise? If yes, how long and how many times per week? please offer a different diet entirely...the other items you mentioned are not a good choice of food....try to offer;

http://www.eatchicchicago.com/blog/2010/01/23/lettuce-varieties/

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/seasonalcooking/farmtotable/visualguidesaladgreens

sidsmasher

5 Year Member
Spends 30 min daily in the lawn in bright sun..temperature is around 30-35 Celsius ..so that eliminates uv lamp....also I'm attaching some pics ..plz take a look and tell if its healthy or not .also tell its sex

Attachments

• 1411045491359.jpg
    1411045491359.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 1411045503440.jpg
    1411045503440.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 1411045516746.jpg
    1411045516746.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 1411045527602.jpg
    1411045527602.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 39

sidsmasher

5 Year Member
Heres the video of him walking .. Notice the limping on the left leg..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If there is a rough/sharp edge on the shell above the leg, then gently smooth it out, little by little---gently.....again, I would change the diet of this tortoise straight away......

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
hello , for the past 2 days my star is having some problem with his left leg, he keeps the leg still.. he can move but he really has to strech his right leg .. which today i observed is slightly reddish....his diet includes okra(bhindi), guar bean(phali), cucumber, cottage cheese(panner ,very rarely).. the reason i think is because of the developing shell which above is legs is sharp and pointed. and maybe got his leg injured by repeated grazing while moving.. plz im really scared and need your advice, there arent any exoic vet in delhi, india ...also yesterday he had diarrhea, reason i guess was the beans, so i removed it and now its fine, but still his leg problem is giving me nightmares. HELP

Agree with ascott.
He is showing numerous signs of dietary deficiency. His nails and beak are overgrown. The pictures are not too clear but his cloaca looks inflamed, swollen and distended. His rear legs look splayed with little muscle development. These can all be attributed to diet deficiency and problems in care and culture. And they can all be addressed and corrected in time. Follow ascott's advice and read up on the information she directed you to.
These are things we all learn along the way. Best of luck to you and you may contact me anytime with questions.

BTW beans are far too rich in plant protein as are any kind of leguminous sprouts. IMO