23 planted....now lets hope they take....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Kerryann said:
I need to find somewhere around here that sells prickly pear cactus. They can grow in MI. I'd like to add some to the tort section of my garden.

I've had a VERY abundant crop of spineless PPCs this year...would be happy to send you some small ones (6-8" tall) for the cost of the shipping (the 11 1/4" x 8 3/4" x 6" Priority Mail Flat Rate box is $11.35, and will hold 12-15, I'd estimate...the small box, @ 8 11/16" x 5 7/16" x 1 3/4" will hold about 6-8 and that runs $5.35). Let me know if you're interested, and I'll go harvest some...by the time you recieve them, they'll be ready to plant in a good sunny location, in a well-drained area or a large pot.

As previously mentioned, they need VERY little water, and over-watering is about the only way to kill them...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Soooo, as much as it kept me awake several nights....:D so OCD Queen here....

Today was the day I finally watered the cactus I planted a month or so ago....I would look at them every day when I would get into the truck and when ever I would put the dog out...and sometimes I would just walk out there and peek at them making sure they were not laying flat and wilted sadly dying...waiting for one of them, just one, to speak to me "water us"...but alas, no such thing took place (thank goodness...lol)...

But today, was the day....I did not over water them, I made two passes down the line at all of them and to my surprise, with no water for over a month!!!!! There were more than half of them that even had new pads growing on them...crazy I tell you....so to all of you that encouraged me to not water...to not over water...and to leave them alone (lol) I thank you...now the next month count down begins again......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are too funny...

With this weather we've been having I've been watering my established ones about every two weeks now. As it gets hotter, I'll bump it up to once a week. When we have those super hot spells in the middle of August, I hit 'em twice a week. In areas with more humidity than ours, they do need less water, less often, but out here they will get really pale and start to wrinkle and die if you don't water enough. If you keep watching them as you have been, they will tell you what they need. There is a large margin of error once they are established, so don't worry too much. If they get a little dry, you can bring them back pretty easily with some watering.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you keep watching them as you have been, they will tell you what they need.

Oh great! Add to my paranoia, now I will so be waiting to see if I hear them tell me to water them....:p

I've been watering my established ones about every two weeks now. As it gets hotter, I'll bump it up to once a week. When we have those super hot spells in the middle of August, I hit 'em twice a week.

Now I feel just terrible, I have been negligent in their needs.....I suck!!!! :p

cljohnson

5 Year Member
Luckily I live right next to a big canyon. There are huge stands of the spineless variety 15 feet across literally 50 paces from my front door.
They just finished blooming and are starting to set fruit. I'm sure they will be a welcome occasional treat for my Sullys.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No, you did good. I don't water new pads either for the first month. Its just once they are established that I start my regular routine.

And now you gotta watch out for gophers. They will get under your cacti and eat all the roots. If you see the tell tale dirt mounds anywhere near your cactus patch, break out the "big guns" right away.

Oh and I forgot to say earlier that I don't water them at all as soon as it cools and we get our first rain in the fall. I don't water them all winter long. I usually start up again in May.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't water new pads either for the first month

Oh good....Yayyyy I am not horrible...:D

now you gotta watch out for gophers. They will get under your cacti and eat all the roots

Bast@#$s....great, I totally forgot about them....well, the gopher killing cat patrols the front porch and so hopefully if they even think of going over where the cactus are she will notice....ooooo, I know, if I see the signs I will move her food dish over there, as she likes to lounge about where she can see her food dish....hahahaha....:D

Okay, all is good again in the world of cactus leering....lol :D...

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Jacqui said:
All this talk about the hard ground made me chuckle.

All this talk about hard ground in making me chuckle, too. I have planted 11 small trees and 2 shrubs this summer. My yard is very fine sand over an alkaline gravel-soil mix. The gravel-soil is at least a shovel depth down, and on the north half of the yard much deeper. Most of the holes I dug were in slightly damp sand, with not even a single gravel chunk.

On the other hand, I'm not going to attempt optunia here. Too cold!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ascott said:
Oh great! Add to my paranoia, now I will so be waiting to see if I hear them tell me to water them....:p

Of course your going to have to bend down closer to them, after all they are just little pads with tiny wee voices. You do know Cactusnese correct?

cljohnson said:
Luckily I live right next to a big canyon. There are huge stands of the spineless variety 15 feet across literally 50 paces from my front door.
They just finished blooming and are starting to set fruit. I'm sure they will be a welcome occasional treat for my Sullys.

Lucky you! I bet that looked pretty when in bloom.

Edna said:
On the other hand, I'm not going to attempt optunia here. Too cold!

Are there any wild cactus in that area at all? I know we have some. There are some "tame" varieties around that do seem to take the cold and could maybe work there. .. or there is what I do (or try to do) pot them and bring them inside in the winder. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.