cecemeow

Location (City and/or State)
Salford
IMG_6817.jpeg
Hi everyone,

It’s my first time creating an enclosure for my Horsefield torty, William, so I just wanted some tips/advice.

Pictured is the piece of furniture I am in the process of converting into his new home. The idea is the drawer will act as a “tortoise table” and any lights/bulbs can be attached to the inside on the “ceiling”. I’m just wondering what UV strip lights and heater bulbs people recommend? Or if I should use something other than a strip light and heater?

I also want to know if the interior wood needs to be treated with anything and if so, any recommendations for products to use to treat the wood would be appreciated!

Finally, would people recommend including a mister/humidifier in the enclosure for this breed of tort? I currently use a spray bottle to mist his enclosure daily but wondered if a humidifier would be better?

Thank you in advance!

CeCe x

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What size age is your tortoise?
An adult needs a minimum of a 4x8 and a hatchling needs a closed chamber.
The dresser could be turned into a closed chamber for a hatching but is too small for a juvenile or adult.

cecemeow

Salford
What size age is your tortoise?
An adult needs a minimum of a 4x8 and a hatchling needs a closed chamber.
The dresser could be turned into a closed chamber for a hatching but is too small for a juvenile or adult.
He is 2 years old. I have already researched the size and it is the correct size for him as it is over 6x his length and width. Plus there will be a platform inside for extra surface area and I take him out to roam around daily.