Blockage - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldskyline

5 Year Member
So the vet visit today didn't go so well. It was really hard to give Herman his shots, I felt really bad because he kept pulling his head in and in one instance he actually bent the needle :( Finally we were able to get a blood sample though so hopefully there'll be some good news tomorrow...

He also peed and had another runny poop. It was probably his biggest pee yet. The vet tried to give him an enema but Herman wouldn't let him. The vet thinks the only way to do it is to anesthetize him... Sigh. After the vet force fed him he swallowed most of the food but he didn't want to swallow the last bite and he threw it up.

Herman did at least have a very nice long hour and a half bath today. Drank A LOT of water and was trying really hard to poop. Just nervous for the news tomorrow :(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
That must have been really difficult for you and him.:(
Some good news, though.
Keep us posted on the results.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is he eating at all? in all honesty I would reconsider the forced feedings if he is eating by himself, to much stress, good to hear he is pooping a little though.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
have they taken an xray? is there a blockage?

i see a xray was taken.. can you post a pic here? do you have a copy?

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I wouldn't force feed unless he's really getting bad. Some animals will fast for a reason, especially when they are sick. I imagine he has a pretty tender tummy right now, being so full of poo. But then again maybe eating more will push the poo out, it does with paralyzed dogs anyway. Are you still giving the mineral oil? I don't know if it's the same for reptiles but drinking a lot is a sign of kidney failure. I just hate how we are so helpless, we don't even know why it started to begin with. I keep hoping to come back to this and see a post that he finally made a big smell. I only wish there was something we could do. Keep us posted, and hang in there, seems like if he's trying hard to poop that it's just a matter of time now and he's gonna leave you a giant steamer. Good luck.

coldskyline

5 Year Member
No, he is not eating at all on his own. He walks over to food I leave out and smells it like he wants it, sits at it for a bit, and then walks away. I didn't want to force feed him today because he seemed to have an upset stomach but the vet kept insisting that he thought it was best. He didn't throw up all of it, it was just the last bite. I'm definitely not going to force feed him anything more for a bit, I think he needs to poop more first.

I think the drinking a lot is definitely because of the kidney's but I still think it's good that he's doing it, no? I mean surely it has to help even if it's an effect of that?

I did get an x ray and it's not a blockage, it just showed a lot of poop build up. I don't have a copy of it but next time I see the vet I will ask him.

I'm still giving him mineral oil, yes. I put it in his bath each day and the times I've force fed him the food has had it on it.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted on the results. I'm so nervous now I'm having major anxiety over it.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I got that it's not a blockage, that's another reason I'm so stumped over this. I'm no vet by any means but it bothers me just the same. It's so sad when they want to eat, but they just can't do it. I've been through that with my little dog, she's almost 18 and was perfectly fine until about a year ago. She has an enlarged liver and cushings disease. She gets very sick sometimes and I'll hand her a favorite morsel, she takes it from my hand, then drops it and walks away. I know the stress and anxiety you are feeling, I know sometimes it feels like you're in a bad dream. But he's young, and otherwise healthy. Seems like he's a fighter, he'll get through this. I'm anxious to hear about the blood work. Best of luck, got my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you :)

coldskyline

5 Year Member
Thanks Weda, I appreciate hearing that. I can sort relate with my dog too. He's almost 15 and was recently diagnosed with a soft tissue sarcoma.

Herman is in his bath now drinking. Before the bath he seemed pretty tired. Not sure if it was from the vets visit yesterday or if he's just getting weaker :( now that he's in the bath he's definitely more awake but his lack of interest in walking much is very worrisome :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if he is full of feces, then there must be a blockage of some sort..
When a dog or cat gets a intestinal blockage.. they vomit and have diarhea..
I hope something works for him...

coldskyline

5 Year Member
Very bad news, just heard from vet: Herman's numbers are almost 5 times as bad as two weeks ago. His uric acid is up to 97, two weeks ago it was 22, and the normal is 7-20. The vet recommended putting him to sleep. I'm devastated... Even the vet couldn't believe it :( so upset

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( not at all what any of us were hoping and praying for. *hugs* What are you thinking now? Are you now agreeing with the Vet that it is kidney failure?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Oh Lindsey, I am soooooo sorry. Please call me if you want to talk! I wouldn't make any decisions just yet. Did the vet say whether he is in any sort of pain? *IN MY OPINION* I would let that be the deciding factor. I was really hoping for good news! I am so sorry

coldskyline

5 Year Member
Well I always agreed it was kidney failure I just thought the kidney failure was a result of something else where as the vet thought it was his primary condition and thats why his body was shutting down. I don't know what I believe at this point, the vet has no idea what caused it and neither do I. I've taken really good care of him and Sammy the last 20 years and they eat the same food and live in the same environment and Sammy is very healthy. The vet said it's very possible he was born with weak or bad kidneys and he was predisposed to it. There's really no way to know. If he's in pain I would like to put him to sleep for his benefit but the vet said it takes all night and the thought of Herman in a vets office alone over night dying isn't really appealing to me. What do you guys think? I actually thought he seemed better today but I guess I was just being too hopeful :(

Torty Mom said:
Oh Lindsey, I am soooooo sorry. Please call me if you want to talk! I wouldn't make any decisions just yet. Did the vet say whether he is in any sort of pain? *IN MY OPINION* I would let that be the deciding factor. I was really hoping for good news! I am so sorry

The vet said he can't say for certain but that he'd guess that Herman is probably pretty uncomfortable. He said it's the highest number he's ever seen and can't believe it. I mean he is walking around a little today and laying in the sun but it's very hard to tell if a tortoise is in pain, you know? It's not like he's able to cry like my dog would. I have no way to tell right now :(

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Honey, we can't make this call for you. Listen to your very confused heart and go from there.

IF you were to put him to sleep... why can the Vet not do it there at your home?

IF you are still willing to try big things (and have the money. We all hate when money has to come into decisions of the heart, but reality must be faced. Not having the ability to pay for surgery is not a sign your a bad caretaker...if that would be the case), why not open him up and see what is going on inside. The problem of his dieing on the table is a risk, but sounds like he is already going down that road. This might be an outside chance or perhaps just confirm he is beyond help. There is also he may die on the table and if he has to die, is his death on the table trying to save him any worse?

Just take some time to think, to talk with those you love and/or trust and to spend some time with your tortoise talking to him, sharing with him your grief, your pain, and your love. You will know then what is right for you and for him.

I wish you the courage to face this part of the story of your life and love of this sweet gentle creature. Always remember you did indeed do what you thought was best for him. *hugs*

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am very sorry that both of you are going through this :(

It is very possible that Herman was dehydrated before you even got him, and it caused long lasting kidney damage. Usually it manifests itself within 6 month3 to 4 years, but it is also possible that your excellent care is what has kept him going all these years.

I know it is a hard decision. But if his numbers are that high, it is pretty likely he is in pain. Herman is your tortoise - no one can tell you the right thing to do. But you will know.

coldskyline

5 Year Member
Thanks Jacqui I really appreciate that...

If I thought surgery would help Herman I would do it for him in a heart beat... Aside from the fact that I've already spent 2500 over the last two weeks and that surgery would probably be another 3-4k, I did ask the vet and he kept repeating that there's literally nothing they could do at all. I feel guilty enough that Herman had to go through getting three shots yesterday and an attempted enema, I wouldn't want him to go through surgery only for him to die. If I felt like there was even a slim chance, I would be willing to do whatever I could, but I can't bear to put him through something so traumatic for no reason :(

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think from the sounds of it, your brain has already made the decisions... your heart just has to catch up with it. *hugs*. Remember we are all here for you thru this part of it too. If you need to cry, to scream, to rant, or just remember the good times with him.. we are here whenever.

coldskyline

5 Year Member
Kristina said:
I am very sorry that both of you are going through this :(

It is very possible that Herman was dehydrated before you even got him, and it caused long lasting kidney damage. Usually it manifests itself within 6 month3 to 4 years, but it is also possible that your excellent care is what has kept him going all these years.

I know it is a hard decision. But if his numbers are that high, it is pretty likely he is in pain. Herman is your tortoise - no one can tell you the right thing to do. But you will know.

Herman wasn't taken care of very well at all the year before I got him. He was locked in a very very small box (about three times his size, at most) and never taken out. I am not sure what his hydration was like during that time but I'm assuming it was quite poor. I actually thought of this too and while I'm not certain, it's very possible that's what it was. I've had Sammy since he was very very young, so I've been his care taker the whole time.

It's just so hard putting an animal to sleep. I've gone through it before and it's always that balancing act of how happy they seem in certain moments (like when he bathes) compared to how much pain they are in overall. I wish it was easier to tell :(

Thank you Jacqui that means a lot. I will see how Herman is tomorrow and probably make my decision based off that. The vet sounded like he thought Herman was dying pretty quickly but right now he's out bathing in the sun and seems relatively happy, there's no way I could put him to sleep right now. I don't know exactly how I will know when it's time, but I think a moment will come and I 'll know...

Status
Not open for further replies.