Blockage - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I'm so sorry for your loss of your dear Herman. :( He seemed like such a fighter. RIP Herman

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I'm so very sorry for your loss... My deepest condolences. You did everything possible and I believe you did the best you could.

teri

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I think you went above and beyond! It's always hard to part with a good friend! Sorry for your loss!

EricIvins said:
There are a few things here that I'm shaking my head at -

Never ever feed an animal that is going through Renal/Liver failure........By doing so, you push the Organ failure that much quicker.......You also make the blockage that much much worse.......Waste produced by failing Organs will tend to bind up because the Renal system is drawing out and trying to conserve the moisture in the waste, leading to very hard, unpassible waste and Urates.........

All the mineral oil in the world can't help that, so I really don't know why everyone was pushing that........Renal failure is a death sentence, but it is a secondary condition caused by something else.......You really need to find a better Vet......

My first thought would be Oxalic Acid buildup, which will cause Kidney infections........If those infections aren't caught in time, Renal Failure will result.......Some Tortoises are really sensitive to it........

Chalk it up to a lesson learned.......We all go through it unfortunately.....

You're lack of heart and brains is astonishing! If you have nothing positive to add...then shut the f**k up! I only hope that when you're down...some jerk doesn't walk by and kick you repeatedly!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
DeanS said:
I think you went above and beyond! It's always hard to part with a good friend! Sorry for your loss!

EricIvins said:
There are a few things here that I'm shaking my head at -

Never ever feed an animal that is going through Renal/Liver failure........By doing so, you push the Organ failure that much quicker.......You also make the blockage that much much worse.......Waste produced by failing Organs will tend to bind up because the Renal system is drawing out and trying to conserve the moisture in the waste, leading to very hard, unpassible waste and Urates.........

All the mineral oil in the world can't help that, so I really don't know why everyone was pushing that........Renal failure is a death sentence, but it is a secondary condition caused by something else.......You really need to find a better Vet......

My first thought would be Oxalic Acid buildup, which will cause Kidney infections........If those infections aren't caught in time, Renal Failure will result.......Some Tortoises are really sensitive to it........

Chalk it up to a lesson learned.......We all go through it unfortunately.....

You're lack of heart and brains is astonishing! If you have nothing positive to add...then shut the f**k up! I only hope that when you're down...some jerk doesn't walk by and kick you repeatedly!

Amen DeanS!!!

That is no doubt the rudest post I have ever read. It should be deleted! Nothing like showing your true colors and kicking a poor young girl when she is down, spew your crap on the vet not her.

coldskyline

5 Year Member
Thanks again everyone... it's been a really hard day & I'm sure it will be hard for awhile... I really appreciate all you've done though and I definitely plan on sticking around here. You guys have been wonderful...

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
I don't feel I can add anything except to send some virtual hugs and chocolate. I have some real tears if they help. :( I hope your grief is sweet and short.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
Lindsey

Read the entire post last night and was so hoping for a post from you of a good outcome on your Herman.
He really had an angel taking care of him, wishing you the best
steve

coldskyline

5 Year Member
oscar said:
Lindsey

Read the entire post last night and was so hoping for a post from you of a good outcome on your Herman.
He really had an angel taking care of him, wishing you the best
steve

Thank you Steve that means so much to hear. I really appreciate all of the sweetness from you guys...

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
I have been following this for a while and I'm very sad to hear about Herman. You did such a wonderful job taking care of him and doing your best to keep him comfortable. Every tortoise should have a "parent" as wonderful as you :) I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I don't know if it's much help, but it always helps me, think about what you have, don't focus on what's lost. Knowing you did your best, let him rest in peace, and without any regrets. We all hurt like this at some point, you're not alone.

coldskyline

5 Year Member
Thanks to both of you, I really appreciate hearing all that. I miss Herman tremendously... :(

coldskyline

5 Year Member
Thanks Angela, thanks Mary Anne... I just wish I was going to see him tomorrow morning :( I used to sit out with him in the mornings I was off and read while he ate... sigh

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Words seem inadequate at this moment, sorry to hear he is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.