Chevy isn't doing so well..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Marty333 said:
I soak him every day towards the night time and the breeder said they kept them in the same enclosure here is a website actually from the vendor I got him from http://stores.pinellascountyreptiles.com/StoreFront.bok

I'm so sorry to hear about this, i hope Chevy pulls through. I'll be praying for him and thinking about him.

And that is the exact place where i got Buster. I've had him for a month and 2 weeks now.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Ok I just checked the temps on his cold side during the night and it read 75. When it gets sunnier I am going to go outside and soak him and see if he wants to eat. Also Danny his top sell is soft to :( Where can I get Vitasol I looked on the petsmart website and they don't have it. Jagsrule that is cool maybe Chevy and Buster are brothers :)

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
egyptiandan said:
second is the tortoise has his eyes closed in most pictures (not usually good)

I was going to say I noticed this too. Almost all of the pictures of him his eyes are closed.

The jaw to me almost looks like it is slightly split? I just had this happen a month ago. I checked on Sif (8 month old leo) and noticed her jaw looked funny. I sent a pic to danny and he said it looked split.

I used triple anti-biotic on both sides every day and it has since healed. What caused it I don't know. But it's good now.

So if it is split, that could also be a reason for lack of eating. It might hurt for him to even open his mouth.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
Marty333 said:
Ok I just checked the temps on his cold side during the night and it read 75. When it gets sunnier I am going to go outside and soak him and see if he wants to eat. Also Danny his top sell is soft to :( Where can I get Vitasol I looked on the petsmart website and they don't have it. Jagsrule that is cool maybe Chevy and Buster are brothers :)

Yeah that would be cool, when i got Buster there was a total of 3 sulcata's (including him) so if there was only 2 when you got chevy then i say it is very possible lol.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Becki said:
Petsmart will definitely have it.

is this the stuff?
pPETS-3758507dt.jpg

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
In the bath water. I would probably pour a teaspoon into the tupperware you bathe chevy in. Or if he is still in the bath then pouring a teaspoon in near his cloaca/tail which is where it will get absorbed the fastest.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
I gotta agree with everyone, that Chevy doesnt look great.
he needs a vet visit and medication.
and since nobody else wants to say it..I will. I think you're trying your best, and thats admirable, but I think you are in over your head.
Chevy is a young sully and you're already having trouble.. its just gonna get harder from here.
I suggest giving Chevy to someone more equipped to handle a sully, and getting something smaller, and er for you to handle.

I'm not trying to be mean, or offensive, thats just my opinion.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Im am very offended how dare you call me out saying I am in over my head just because I am 15 doesn't justify anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am thoroughly angry for such a rude post you should know that would cause offense! You have no right to say I can not handle Chevy! Some Sullies fail to thrive and that is not my fault. I am doing what everyone is saying so why should I put him in someone elses care when they would do the same thing? Im sorry I didn't think the forum would have such low opinions! Jeeze thanks everyone!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Marty333 said:
Im am very offended how dare you call me out saying I am in over my head just because I am 15 doesn't justify anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am thoroughly angry for such a rude post you should know that would cause offense! You have no right to say I can not handle Chevy! Some Sullies fail to thrive and that is not my fault. I am doing what everyone is saying so why should I put him in someone elses care when they would do the same thing? Im sorry I didn't think the forum would have such low opinions! Jeeze thanks everyone!

Easy now. Don't lump "everyone" in with what one person said. I happen to disagree with Kenny. Moving him would not help, and there is nothing that anybody else would be doing that you are not.

Its a big world out there and everyone has had different experiences in life. When you get over 5000 people together, you are going to get all sorts of opinions from across the board. And that's okay. Just take the advice that you want and disregard what you don't want and try to do your best.

You are among friends here...

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
Marty,

I haven't been part of this forum very long but I think I've read almost every post regarding Chevy and as parent to both many animals and two human babies I can say that you are doing excellently.

Everything is a learning process. We aren't born with the manual in our heads. We do our best and that is all that we can do. You are doing your best and doing remarkably.

Remain calm and continue loving Chevy. Even this newbie knows that everyone on TFO is pulling for you.

I will add him to my list of people I think good thoughts for.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Kenny said:
I gotta agree with everyone, that Chevy doesnt look great.
he needs a vet visit and medication.
and since nobody else wants to say it..I will. I think you're trying your best, and thats admirable, but I think you are in over your head.
Chevy is a young sully and you're already having trouble.. its just gonna get harder from here.
I suggest giving Chevy to someone more equipped to handle a sully, and getting something smaller, and er for you to handle.

I'm not trying to be mean, or offensive, thats just my opinion.

Im sorry for getting upset its just I feel like he basically was saying Chevy deserves better than me. Which pissed me off a bit. The bolded sentence makes me think he was trying to drag you guys down with him but Chevy and I thank all of you guys for your help in support :)

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I'm sorry your having trouble with your tort.:( I know how helpless it feels to have a sick animal. Does anyone think that having a young one in a aquarium would be better for temps and humidity? Of course your not where it gets as cold as I do here in Ohio. I have better control in a tank. May not be the case for you, but thought I'd ask. I'll be keeping him in my thoughts.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Marty333 said:

For what it's worth, I was younger than you when I started keeping box turtles. Back then we didn't have as many resources as we do now (internet forums) so I was left pretty much on my own to figure things out. I think with this forum, all the information out there and your obvious concern with Chevy, you are MORE than capeable of taking care of a sulcata or any tortoise. Like Tom said, you are going to get a variety of opinions because we all do things differently and have different experiences, so take the ones you want and ignore the rest.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I'm missing the part where he said you're incapable because of your age? I support his comments. This hatchling was never given the chance to establish itself since day one, and it is my belief that that is why it's in the current state of health. But the point now is to move forward and learn from possible mistakes made, and get your guy back on the right track. AND, to be open and honest with each other here in a constructive manner and not worrying about offending people. We're all here for our love of tortoises, not people. At least me anyway.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Cherbear said:
I'm sorry your having trouble with your tort.:( I know how helpless it feels to have a sick animal. Does anyone think that having a young one in a aquarium would be better for temps and humidity? Of course your not where it gets as cold as I do here in Ohio. I have better control in a tank. May not be the case for you, but thought I'd ask. I'll be keeping him in my thoughts.

I find it easier to control temps and humidity in a tall glass aquarium. I used to have my young ones set up in a big shallow storage tub like Chevy is in now, but too much air flow made the temps hard to control. It's all about preference, so there is nothing wrong with those shallow tubs, I just think aquariums are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.