COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Hmm, do water restrictions ease up later in the summer? :eek:
No They don't because Cape Town normally gets all the rain in winter. And we have gotten so little rain that our dams are sitting with about 26% water capacity, and the last 10% of the dams is not good water. The city is looking at getting water from other means but it is not happening anytime soon.:(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Wow, I would never have thought that England would have that kind of problem. We are currently on a level 6 water restrictions. Which means that we are only allowed 87ltrs of water per person. No watering of gardens unless you have a borehole or a well point and if you do, you are only allowed to water on certain days. All and any water that I can save and put in the garden gets put in the garden. Although I have to be careful what I put in the garden as well, because the torts eat from it. I buy bottled water now to use for the tortoises water bowls and soaking tubs. Good Luck on your side I hope it gets better and you don't go on water restrictions.
Most of Kent's water comes from boreholes. If it doesn't rain, they don't refill. Hosepipe bans are a regular feature of our summers here; we have had a couple of wet summers recently and had no bans. This year, we had little rain from September on and the water levels have failed to recover as they should. So, unless we get serious rain for the rest of the winter we will be back on a ban in the early spring.

We don't have the technology to limit the volume households use. Not enough properties have a metered supply (ours is metered)

I have given up with plants in pots outside as we end up not being allowed to water them too often. The lawn just dies, but it comes back when we get rain even if there isn't enough to sort out the water supply.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Most of Kent's water comes from boreholes. If it doesn't rain, they don't refill. Hosepipe bans are a regular feature of our summers here; we have had a couple of wet summers recently and had no bans. This year, we had little rain from September on and the water levels have failed to recover as they should. So, unless we get serious rain for the rest of the winter we will be back on a ban in the early spring.

We don't have the technology to limit the volume households use. Not enough properties have a metered supply (ours is metered)

I have given up with plants in pots outside as we end up not being allowed to water them too often. The lawn just dies, but it comes back when we get rain even if there isn't enough to sort out the water supply.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
That is so interesting. Nice to learn about other countries. So do you then grow the weeds and grass inside your house? Or do you have to resort to using grocery store greens?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That is so interesting. Nice to learn about other countries. So do you then grow the weeds and grass inside your house? Or do you have to resort to using grocery store greens?
The weeds generally seem to be the last to die, but I supplemented with grocery store when the grazing was too bad.

As you're new here, I have to explain the past tense. Joe had to be put to sleep earlier this year when he became sick with a massive tumour. He was my husband's 7th birthday present back in 1970 and I have had both of them for more than 30 years. Joe had the run the run of our garden except when he hibernated. We miss Joe dreadfully, but are not ready to replace him.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The weeds generally seem to be the last to die, but I supplemented with grocery store when the grazing was too bad.

As you're new here, I have to explain the past tense. Joe had to be put to sleep earlier this year when he became sick with a massive tumour. He was my husband's 7th birthday present back in 1970 and I have had both of them for more than 30 years. Joe had the run the run of our garden except when he hibernated. We miss Joe dreadfully, but are not ready to replace him.
oh, I am so sorry for your loss. And I completely understand. My apologies for bringing up sad memories.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
oh, I am so sorry for your loss. And I completely understand. My apologies for bringing up sad memories.
Don't apologise. I talk about Joe all the time... and the CDR roommates have helped no end with the sadness.

Joe was one of TFO's personalities... his antics kept me in a long line of stories to entertain. He is now in whatever tortoise heaven looks like attacking lawnmowers and causing trouble with Maggie3fan's Sulcata, Bob, who had more than his fair share of personality too! :)

It's hard explaining to people who don't keep tortoises what it's like... Somehow they don't quite get it... They never did! :D

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Don't apologise. I talk about Joe all the time... and the CDR roommates have helped no end with the sadness.

Joe was one of TFO's personalities... his antics kept me in a long line of stories to entertain. He is now in whatever tortoise heaven looks like attacking lawnmowers and causing trouble with Maggie3fan's Sulcata, Bob, who had more than his fair share of personality too! :)

It's hard explaining to people who don't keep tortoises what it's like... Somehow they don't quite get it... They never did! :D
I haven't even been keeping my tortoises for long and I already know what you mean. They most certainly do take over your heart. My husband and kids think I am totally mad. LOL. In fact when I get home from work the first ones to get attention are the tortoises.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
It is Sunny, dry and Windy. Because we are on water restrictions, we are not allowed to water our gardens etc, so it makes it very sandy when the wind blows. Other than that it is a lovely day.

I worked in New Zealand for almost 3 years. Being in the Southern Hemisphere (like South Africa) was really strange at times- especially in regards to the seasons and the holidays. Having WINTER in June, July and August was kind of surreal!!![emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] And the traditional Kiwi Christmas is a barbecue on the beach because it’s summer in December!!! [emoji33]
By the way, while I was there I met several lovely South African families who had emigrated. Wonderful people with whom I am still friends today. SA sounds like a fascinating place! [emoji2][emoji106]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Oh my word, I just googled what time it was in Washington now. And it says it is 2am in the morning. Either you haven't gone to sleep yet or you are up really early. Either way that is way too early for me. It is currently 09:07am in Cape Town now. And even then it takes me a while to fully wake up.;)

You need to specify Washington DC (on the east coast) or Washington STATE ( on the WEST coast!!!! ). We did that just to confuse people!!!!! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I worked in New Zealand for almost 3 years. Being in the Southern Hemisphere (like South Africa) was really strange at times- especially in regards to the seasons and the holidays. Having WINTER in June, July and August was kind of surreal!!![emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] And the traditional Kiwi Christmas is a barbecue on the beach because it’s summer in December!!! [emoji33]
By the way, while I was there I met several lovely South African families who had emigrated. Wonderful people with whom I am still friends today. SA sounds like a fascinating place! [emoji2][emoji106]
It most certianly is. And in Cape Town you can have a hot and Sunny day and 20minutes drive away it will be overcast and raining (well at least it used to be like that before the rain issue). Anyway I love living in Cape town, as there is so much space. Alot of South Africans do have Braai's (which is what we call a barbeque) for Xmas, our family is a little more traditional in that we do the roast etc for christmas lunch. I would however love to have the experience of a white Christmas once before I go. On my bucket list for one day. On boxing day the 26th December is when you will see the beaches absolutely packed here in Cape Town. It is crazy how packed they get. (I stay away - far too many people for my liking)

Bee62

Germany
Good Morning All,
It is another sunny and WINDY day here in Cape Town again. Which because of the drought makes everything sandy. (Sigh).
I am happy to report no bed bugs or hedghog lice took any bites. Have an awesome day.
Can we have pictures, please ? It is interesting to see your corner of the world.:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I got a wonderful card from Lena and Yvonne!
Both so much more thoughtful than the two or three words I scribbled in my cards.
Got you card this morning, Ed. :)
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Much appreciated, thank you!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Good Morning All,
It is another sunny and WINDY day here in Cape Town again. Which because of the drought makes everything sandy. (Sigh).
I am happy to report no bed bugs or hedghog lice took any bites. Have an awesome day.
Good afternoon, Carol.:)
I also didn't get manged during the night.
Drought conditions here too, though we've had a bit of rain the last two days.
No wind, thankfully.
Have a great day yourself. :)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good afternoon, Carol.:)
I also didn't get manged during the night.
Drought conditions here too, though we've had a bit of rain the last two days.
No wind, thankfully.
Have a great day yourself. :)
Hi Adam, Glad you had no bites. What is your side of the world like? is it Sandy or still relatively green with your conditions. I am having so much fun finding out what it is like in different parts of the World.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It is Sunny, dry and Windy. Because we are on water restrictions, we are not allowed to water our gardens etc, so it makes it very sandy when the wind blows. Other than that it is a lovely day.

View attachment 224887
Nice.
I love these postcards from around the world. :):<3:
And the trees tell of how windy it is where you live.