COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Carol is a star! She’s weaned herself off caffeine, painkillers and sleeping tablets and is now working on the vaping too. I am in awe of her mental strength!
Whahaha Linda! You are so good for my ego. LOL Unfortunately chocolate has replaced everything else. So not completely as strong as you think. However it is a work in progress.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all. I am up early as JoesDad needed a lift to the station.

I am now coming round quietly. I have yoga this morning and then the big decision about my shoulder operation... something is going to have to be seriously sore in the morning for me to go ahead with it though.
Looks like things are going well for you too. So very happy for you. Hopefully the op never becomes necessary.

VERY proud of you and your quiet fortitude.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The result was more varied first time round; although I was still basically anglo/celtic. Now that more people have had tests done, they have re-evaluated everyone's results.

In my case the removal of Iberian Peninsula blood is the most noticeable change and from JoesDad he had Bosnia Herzegovina and North America first time round that have both disappeared
This is too expensive for me to do over here. I will only end up doing it if I ever need to for health reasons.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good mornooning, roommates!

A quiet day ahead for me, unlike yesterday or tomorrow. Or the dreaded Saturday! And on Sunday we’re going on a guided tour to the Open Air Museum showcasing Danish homes, shops, workshops, and windmills throughout history.

Have I shared pics of our piano yet?

It was made by Hornung & Møller, one of the leading Danish piano makers from the 1820s to 1972. Ours was first sold in 1924 to Nakskov Municipality for their summer theater (for today’s equivalent of over 6,000 Euro), and then stayed with the previous owners for 58 years. It needs tuning, but since it’s just for practice and — more importantly! — none of us, except daughter, has any ear for music, we’ll probably avoid that (significant) extra expense.

View attachment 251372
View attachment 251373

P.S. @EllieMay, been meaning to ask you: has the other baby squirrel survived?
Wow, That is one seriously good looking piano for it age. The previous owners looked after it extremely well. Well done though, as it is a beautiful piano.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good Mornooning Adam, Linda and Lena and any other Roommates who are up and about.
Managed to pop in earlier today. For once I cannot believe that we are already on Thursday. It feels like yesterday was Monday and the day before that and the day before that etc. etc. ;)

Today there is a little bit of breathing space. So yay.

How is everybody doing? A few things that I would like to touch base on:

1. Nice to have you back Adam, the CDR is just not the same without you.
2. @Bambam1989 we haven't heard from you in a while. You okay?
3. @DE42 How are you doing. Are you back to being your normal self?
4. Sabine, we need a photo or two more of Ma and Mo please. And have you managed to sort out your temp problem yet?
5. Kathy how is little Uzi doing? And your Son, no further health problems I hope.
6. @Toddrickfl1 It has been a while since you have popped in, I hope you haven't been frozen in those freezers that you work in. Do we need to come and rescue you? If you do, Blink twice.
7. Heather, I think we need some more photo's of your critters as well. And I also want to know if the other squirrell survived.
8. Mark, has the storm passed you yet? I think they were talking on the news yesterday on our radio about Hurricane Florence. I hope all is okay on your side and that your critters and garden are surviving the bad weather.
9. Lyn, I was very happy to read that your neighbours haven't cut anymore plants again so far. I know how you feel after having to get back in the swing of things after a long holiday. I hope that Lola is behaving or at least as much as He does.
10. Gillian - How is Oli doing? Is your weather how you like it yet?
11. Ed - How is your Mom doing and have you received your bumper thingy that you were looking for the other day yet?
12. Yvonne you can be as agrophobic as you like, in the CDR no-one can see you so it is a safe place to be. Much safer than anywhere else..... Just saying!
13. Bea - I am getting withdrawal symptoms again. I need a quick fix with some photo's of Jacques and Elsa.
14. @Laura1412 - How are you doing?
15. Lena - What's the chances of a video of your daughter having her first lesson? Or at least a photo of her pretending to play.;)
16. Linda - how did the yoga go? And Let us know what the doc says about your shoulder. Good Luck

As it is autumn on your side at the moment (or at least it should be) Those of you who have torts - are you going to be hibernating them? Just curious.

Anyway chat again sooner or later and Not see you in the CDR.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

A quiet day ahead for me, unlike yesterday or tomorrow. Or the dreaded Saturday! And on Sunday we’re going on a guided tour to the Open Air Museum showcasing Danish homes, shops, workshops, and windmills throughout history.

It was made by Hornung & Møller, one of the leading Danish piano makers from the 1820s to 1972. Ours was first sold in 1924 to Nakskov Municipality for their summer theater (for today’s equivalent of over 6,000 Euro), and then stayed with the previous owners for 58 years. It needs tuning, but since it’s just for practice and — more importantly! — none of us, except daughter, has any ear for music, we’ll probably avoid that (significant) extra expense.

View attachment 251372
View attachment 251373

Wow....very nice!

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good Mornooning Adam, Linda and Lena and any other Roommates who are up and about.
Managed to pop in earlier today. For once I cannot believe that we are already on Thursday. It feels like yesterday was Monday and the day before that and the day before that etc. etc. ;)

4. Sabine, we need a photo or two more of Ma and Mo please. And have you managed to sort out your temp problem yet?
5. Kathy how is little Uzi doing? And your Son, no further health problems I hope.
6. @Toddrickfl1 It has been a while since you have popped in, I hope you haven't been frozen in those freezers that you work in. Do we need to come and rescue you? If you do, Blink twice.
7. Heather, I think we need some more photo's of your critters as well. And I also want to know if the other squirrell survived.
8. Mark, has the storm passed you yet? I think they were talking on the news yesterday on our radio about Hurricane Florence. I hope all is okay on your side and that your critters and garden are surviving the bad weather.

• Thanks! Florence is barreling straight ahead right into the North/South Carolina area - 120-140 mph winds, storm surges (up to 14 ft waves) and up to 40 inches of rain (yes 40) might hit the area. Flooding is the major issue - and how most people die from drowning. The beach areas have been evacuated and everything is shuttered. Here, we will get many of inches of rain probabl Tuesday next week.

9. Lyn, I was very happy to read that your neighbours haven't cut anymore plants again so far. I know how you feel after having to get back in the swing of things after a long holiday. I hope that Lola is behaving or at least as much as He does.
11. Ed - How is your Mom doing and have you received your bumper thingy that you were looking for the other day yet?
12. Yvonne you can be as agrophobic as you like, in the CDR no-one can see you so it is a safe place to be. Much safer than anywhere else..... Just saying!
13. Bea - I am getting withdrawal symptoms again. I need a quick fix with some photo's of Jacques and Elsa.
15. Lena - What's the chances of a video of your daughter having her first lesson? Or at least a photo of her pretending to play.;)
16. Linda - how did the yoga go? And Let us know what the doc says about your shoulder. Good Luck

As it is autumn on your side at the moment (or at least it should be) Those of you who have torts - are you going to be hibernating them? Just curious.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

15. Are you sure you really want this? [emoji85][emoji23]
Great catch-up post, as always!!! [emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

View attachment 251372
View attachment 251373

Because your daughter is learning how the music sounds as she plays, an untuned piano would interfere with her developing a proper “ear” for music and how it SHOULD sound. I hate to be a wet blanket, so to speak, but it really should be tuned for her to develop her musical “ear” accurately.

I took piano for several years as a child, and it served me well: I have “perfect pitch” and have sung and played several other instruments over the years.

Bee62

Germany
@ZEROPILOT Ancestry has just re-evaluated the DNA profiles now there’s more data.

Mine has definitely confirmed that I am English and Welsh/Celtic (the Norwegian is a Viking invasion of Wales)
View attachment 251318

JoesDad has an Indian aberration in his (Gujarat), but India was a British colony. It basically proves what we knew from his family tree... his family is English and basically lived in the same area for centuries!
View attachment 251319
With this test you can say that you both are nearly "pure breed" English !!!!!!:D:D:D
Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

View attachment 251372
View attachment 251373

Beautiful Piano!!!

The squirrel did not make it. It survived about a week longer than the other. My daughter was so attached that she snuck it to school on the first day because she couldn’t stand to leave it. It passed that afternoon:-(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This is too expensive for me to do over here. I will only end up doing it if I ever need to for health reasons.

Ancestry, the family history site, puts it on special offer periodically and the price is much reduced.

It might be worth signing up to the site and not doing anything until you get a price reduction email :)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

Good morning Carol! So I answered about the squirrel and I will take some new critter pics for you hopefully this evening... I have been leaving early and getting home late... my busy season:-(

Btw, I know it’s already been said by others, but I’m very proud of you for your life changes. I know it’s not easy and I hope you find all the support and encouragement you need from us!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Beautiful Piano!!!

The squirrel did not make it. It survived about a week longer than the other. My daughter was so attached that she snuck it to school on the first day because she couldn’t stand to leave it. It passed that afternoon:-(
So sorry. :(:<3::<3::<3: