COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
I don’t think I like alone time. I was bored out of my mind last night!
I worked on cleaning out my old closet and bbq a single hamburger and had a glass a wine. I watched 90 Day Fiancé and cooking shows and then School of Rock, love that movie!
Then, it was time to chauffeur kids at 9:30.
My daughter volunteered 8.5 hours and she was exhausted! She was out as soon as her head hit the pillow.
She sleeps with me when my husband is gone.

Sure, I can take a couple of hours.
I mean, I’m alone all week except for Monday when I have my grandson.

We have soccer at 2pm and it should reach about 93[emoji51] I’m so tired of heat!!
I’ll complain about cold weather too!

View attachment 255361
View attachment 255362
Ha ha ha. Our spring has just started and I am hating the heat already.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Do you take those spines off before giving it to Sully?

The answer is mostly -
  • First I give them a good washing, then take a serated type knife blade and rub it back and forth on the pads which pretty much cleans those up on the pad surface.
  • Then I take a smaller paring knife and cut off the edge all around the pad, then snip the bottom off.
  • By now, I’m done with spine removal and I chop them up into inch squares or so.
Entire process very fast.

Here are some pix of the process

Pad with Spines

F5E3CB2C-5467-46C0-A9E6-D3A6629E6BBB.jpeg

Washed Pad and Scraped

09BA79CB-F354-49BC-82DA-F097826ECFBC.jpeg

Edges Trimmed Off

9AA09C4C-1D87-4F04-9152-B628CB3F3AFC.jpeg

Cut Up & Ready to Serve

88177493-1AC7-4405-B13E-23C66767FE1E.jpeg

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
And what is the red stuff?? I’m sure I should know but I don’t [emoji15][emoji15]

I think you do know...

The prickly pear cactus is the only member in the Opuntia genus of cacti and there are over 200 different species. They have three striking features.

They are easily identified by their large paddle like shaped leaves, also known as nopales which are in fact flattened stems.

Another feature of prickly pears is their fruit or tunas which vary in color from yellowy-green to deep magenta.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was assembling all the greens and veggies for tortoise feeding this a.m. and thought, "Why should the tortoises get all the good stuff?" So I got out my pork neck bones and browned them, then set them into the stew pot in chicken broth with onions to boil for a couple hours. When I came in from outside just now I added vinegar and sugar to the pot then a whole bunch of collard greens. My lunch will be ready in another hour! The neck bones aren't ideal for this use as there are too many small, sharp bits, but the butcher didn't have any smoked ham hocks.

Here in my area our first frost usually comes right around Halloween. But so far our night temperatures have been lower 60s and upper 50s (F). It doesn't feel like it's going to drop down into the 30sF in just a couple days. the day temps are still in the 80s.

All I have left to do to winterize the plants is take several into the backyard greenhouse, then wrap the front porch (where the jade plants and a few euphorbias live) in plastic. The plants on the porch aren't all that cold sensitive, but they can't have any frost on them or they will die.

Man, I'm hungry!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Bee62 I was wondering how Cowboy Ken got a picture of you. He posted this on the pretend chat thread:

img_3862-jpg.255385

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
The answer is mostly -
  • First I give them a good washing, then take a serated type knife blade and rub it back and forth on the pads which pretty much cleans those up on the pad surface.
  • Then I take a smaller paring knife and cut off the edge all around the pad, then snip the bottom off.
  • By now, I’m done with spine removal and I chop them up into inch squares or so.
Entire process very fast.

Here are some pix of the process

Pad with Spines

View attachment 255376

Washed Pad and Scraped

View attachment 255375

Edges Trimmed Off

View attachment 255377

Cut Up & Ready to Serve

View attachment 255378

I hold a pad in tongs and burn the spines off over the stove flame. It takes 10 seconds.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I think you do know...

The prickly pear cactus is the only member in the Opuntia genus of cacti and there are over 200 different species. They have three striking features.

They are easily identified by their large paddle like shaped leaves, also known as nopales which are in fact flattened stems.

Another feature of prickly pears is their fruit or tunas which vary in color from yellowy-green to deep magenta.

Your right!! I did know... I planted a few of those a while back except they were purple...