COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
It’s been awhile, but here is the UC Davis info on when, where, how to get seeds, cutings....etc

https://www.ars.usda.gov/pacific-we...ee-fruit-nut-crops-grapes/docs/fig-page/main/

I was outside cleaning out the tortoise gardens earlier this week and found a new fig tree started in Crusher’s garden.. I’m pretty sure it was a result of trimming and throwing out ends on the “cuttings” that I sent to Kathy.... I had not intended to start another tree but I’m going to let it grow... [emoji16]

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good afternoon CDR... I have been a little quiet lately trying to sort thru my thoughts I suppose.. I’ve had a lot of “junk” going on here with my nephew. I’m feeling pretty sad and angry all at once. The short version- he has continued to make horrible choices to the point of breaking the law while already at a disciplinary school. They allowed him a phone call and he called his mother instead of me. Her court date was postponed for another couple of months but she withdrew him from school and took him back to Arkansas... (all legal as my custody was contingent upon her incarceration)... he has a case with the DA here being reviewed. If they decide to pursue, he will be picked up from her and booked into a correctional facility. I believe the kid was playing me the whole time and it’s all just heartbreaking.. I have to believe that everything happens for a reason but for the life of me, I’m not sure what this one is.. :-(.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I was outside cleaning out the tortoise gardens earlier this week and found a new fig tree started in Crusher’s garden.. I’m pretty sure it was a result of trimming and throwing out ends on the “cuttings” that I sent to Kathy.... I had not intended to start another tree but I’m going to let it grow... [emoji16]

Very cool. When the cuttings WANT to grow they will!

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good afternoon CDR... I have been a little quiet lately trying to sort thru my thoughts I suppose.. I’ve had a lot of “junk” going on here with my nephew. I’m feeling pretty sad and angry all at once. The short version- he has continued to make horrible choices to the point of breaking the law while already at a disciplinary school. They allowed him a phone call and he called his mother instead of me. Her court date was postponed for another couple of months but she withdrew him from school and took him back to Arkansas... (all legal as my custody was contingent upon her incarceration)... he has a case with the DA here being reviewed. If they decide to pursue, he will be picked up from her and booked into a correctional facility. I believe the kid was playing me the whole time and it’s all just heartbreaking.. I have to believe that everything happens for a reason but for the life of me, I’m not sure what this one is.. :-(.

Ouch! :-(. Sorry to hear this bit of news... It sounds like you and your family have done sooooo much. Hang in there.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Ouch! :-(. Sorry to hear this bit of news... It sounds like you and your family have done sooooo much. Hang in there.

I have felt like a bit of a failure and a little angry.. I’m starting to see past this though and please don’t judge me, but I’m even a little relieved now. I prayed a lot, but my kids come first and I this one was not healthy for them. I have helped a lot of children and this is the first that I felt may have been too much for me. But it was taken out of my hands and I wouldn’t go back for anything now... moving on:)

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
We almost never see the reasons until we get some distance from the situations that cause so much confusion and pain. It's like you have to wait for the storm to pass and the flying debris to settle a bit, to be able to see clearly.

Find your inner calm and inner peace, and HOLD ONTO IT. Don't feel guilty about needing time for yourself. Take the time you need to take care of YOU.

You know we support you, always.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I have felt like a bit of a failure and a little angry.. I’m starting to see past this though and please don’t judge me, but I’m even a little relieved now. I prayed a lot, but my kids come first and I this one was not healthy for them. I have helped a lot of children and this is the first that I felt may have been too much for me. But it was taken out of my hands and I wouldn’t go back for anything now... moving on:)
Not judging you at all. Nothing to judge. You are entitled to ALL of the thoughts and emotions going through your head and your heart right now.

You tried. You made a valiant effort. You did the right thing. Maybe this is the lesson your kids learn. You had to try. You did your best. Some situations are beyond your control, and you have to learn to come to peace with that. Your kids will understand that better as they get older... And they will appreciate the awesome person their mom is, even more.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

That’s pretty cool!!

I didn’t plant one of the cuttings to see what would happen and it now has a bud!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

No judgements!
You tried and obviously we stood behind you but also didn’t know his whole story. He may be beyond help at this point and I’m assuming he’s learning from his mother.

I’m also guessing your kids might be a bit relieved too, not to mention your husband.

That kid may or may not come around but he knows you tried to help him.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Oh Heather.
I am so sorry. The problem is that if he does not want to be saved there is nothing you can do. You gave it your all. Hopefully he will change his tune and come right one day.
Big Electronic hugs from me.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Not judging you at all. Nothing to judge. You are entitled to ALL of the thoughts and emotions going through your head and your heart right now.

You tried. You made a valiant effort. You did the right thing. Maybe this is the lesson your kids learn. You had to try. You did your best. Some situations are beyond your control, and you have to learn to come to peace with that. Your kids will understand that better as they get older... And they will appreciate the awesome person their mom is, even more.
Very nicely said.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

That is heartbreaking. Massive electronic hugs from me. I am devastated for you and I am sad for your nephew too for being unable to accept the help on offer. [emoji22]

The worst offenders at my governor schools frequently have such a long history of failure to engage with schools that they cannot read properly and cannot access the learning materials in the school. They act up in school as it hides the fact that they cannot actually do the work. My governor schools have a big reading programme now, testing every child on entry and helping those with reading age below chronological age which is, unfortunately, a rather larger proportion than you would expect. It has had a huge impact on behaviour.

It sounds like your nephew is one of the extreme ones that was failed by the system. Every time chair a permanent exclusion panel at one of the schools it depresses me. You cannot help but feel for the young person and for those that have worked so hard to try avert what has happened.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Understand this now: None of us is judging you. You went above and beyond thecall of duty trying to help.

It's how we feel at school when we "fail" with a youngster. We do our best to keep a child in education and spend a disproportionate amount of time, effort and funds on some. Ultimately we have to consider not only what is in the best interests of that child, but also what is in the best interests of the other children in the school. Sometimes, despite everything, we cannot succeed.

Feel regret, but don't let that regret hold you back. I have feeling it won't. You are amazing for even trying to help this young man.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
For those birders in the group, you all hear and see the Mandarin Duck in New York City?

https://www.thecut.com/2018/11/everyone-loves-the-hot-duck.html
They're quite common over here. Escapes from private collections and zoos that have made themselves at home in the wild. They certainly wouldn't make the news here :D There are lots in the park lake near my Mum's home. They nest in holes high up in trees and the ducklings have to jump when they hatch as they aren't reared in the nest. The females are a lot less spectacular than the males