COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Good morning All & happy Friday.. going to be a quiet weekend for me as it’s just me and my little one! I’m working today but nothing major for the next two days.. may take him hunting ... and probably need to get the horses some hay now.. motto for the day- happiness is a choice[emoji16]

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning All & happy Friday.. going to be a quiet weekend for me as it’s just me and my little one! I’m working today but nothing major for the next two days.. may take him hunting ... and probably need to get the horses some hay now.. motto for the day- happiness is a choice[emoji16]
Enjoy your happy weekend. You deserve it :)

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Here you go! Happy Friday. Enjoy.

67669727-008A-4E6E-9A0C-0B27F86A4375.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good afternoon CDR... I have been a little quiet lately trying to sort thru my thoughts I suppose.. I’ve had a lot of “junk” going on here with my nephew. I’m feeling pretty sad and angry all at once. The short version- he has continued to make horrible choices to the point of breaking the law while already at a disciplinary school. They allowed him a phone call and he called his mother instead of me. Her court date was postponed for another couple of months but she withdrew him from school and took him back to Arkansas... (all legal as my custody was contingent upon her incarceration)... he has a case with the DA here being reviewed. If they decide to pursue, he will be picked up from her and booked into a correctional facility. I believe the kid was playing me the whole time and it’s all just heartbreaking.. I have to believe that everything happens for a reason but for the life of me, I’m not sure what this one is.. :-(.
At least you tried. Now you have to let it go.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good morning, roommates! My busy time of the week is here. We have a Festival of Lights in town tonight to celebrate the end of lighter days and the start of the dark time of the year. There’ll be many light installations throughout the city, concerts, haiku verses on fire, and the shops will stay open late. I’ll have guests for dinner before we head out to explore the festival.
That sounds like a lot of fun. Do many people there suffer from depression during the dark days?

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
But that’s just it...... he is very smart!!! He doesn’t have a bit of problem understanding or doing academic work when he chooses to.. he is at a point in his life where the bottom line is his choices.. he just does not want our way of life.. I can’t understand it.. So I pray..
It sounds like he's going to have to come to terms with and accept himself. Whenever that is, maybe then he'll be able to climb out of it.

I'm kind if asking a loaded question here, although I'll admit I sort of resemble this remark... Do you know anything about ADHD? Is it possible that's a factor here?

I can comment from my own experience.... High intelligence + ADHD = extremely difficult to accept yourself and just as hard to live up to expectations (often your own).

The teenage mind is somewhat defective when it comes to decision making in the first place. ADHD makes it that much worse... Sometimes contributes to otherwise good, smart kids doing something unexpected and even stupid.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all. The rain has gone and we had frost overnight. It’s bright and sunny, but chilly now.

We currently have the tree surgeons in. There’s a row of Leylandii cypresses behind our garage that grow out of control. They don’t actually belong to us, but the elderly neighbour is happy for us to hack them back over our property.
View attachment 255925

They are also doing some work for our new next door neighbours. Taking a couple of trees out that, I agree, were far too close to the house and pollarding a third.
You have better neighbours than Lyn does.