COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
On Monday I put out the oldest of my wooden enclosures because it was full with mold ( the result of high humidity for my torts ). I had help but when we took the enclosure out of the living room the wet wood slided out of my hand and scratched my leg. It hasn`t hurt, so I thought it was okay but on Tuesday the inflammation came with chills and the fever came later.:(:(:(
The good thing: My little (big) sullies have a new enclosure that is bigger than the older was.:)

oh my!

I had a leg incident too. There's this new stray tom cat that's been coming around. He has gotten very pushy, and if I don' put the food down quick enough to suit him he attacks me. So yesterday I was opening the lids of tortoise enclosures, working my way to the back of the carport where the cat food container is, and he jumped on my leg and bit me! I smacked him with the tortoise food lid (plastic) I was holding, and he stopped attacking, but wasn't the least bit afraid of me. I felt liquid running down my leg, so went in the house and washed the wound with Betadine. I'm pondering two choices. . . trap him and take him to be euthanized, or trap him and take him to be neutered. He's not young. He beats up my cats and they're deathly afraid of
him.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
oh my!

I had a leg incident too. There's this new stray tom cat that's been coming around. He has gotten very pushy, and if I don' put the food down quick enough to suit him he attacks me. So yesterday I was opening the lids of tortoise enclosures, working my way to the back of the carport where the cat food container is, and he jumped on my leg and bit me! I smacked him with the tortoise food lid (plastic) I was holding, and he stopped attacking, but wasn't the least bit afraid of me. I felt liquid running down my leg, so went in the house and washed the wound with Betadine. I'm pondering two choices. . . trap him and take him to be euthanized, or trap him and take him to be neutered. He's not young. He beats up my cats and they're deathly afraid of
him.

Ouch! Geeze, that sounds nasty - last thing you need is some cat-borne infection taking hold. Trap him for sure..

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
But that’s just it...... he is very smart!!! He doesn’t have a bit of problem understanding or doing academic work when he chooses to.. he is at a point in his life where the bottom line is his choices.. he just does not want our way of life.. I can’t understand it.. So I pray..
That is all you can do. And hopefully he will hear you.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning All & happy Friday.. going to be a quiet weekend for me as it’s just me and my little one! I’m working today but nothing major for the next two days.. may take him hunting ... and probably need to get the horses some hay now.. motto for the day- happiness is a choice[emoji16]
Good motto.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good evening CDR. Good evening roomies.
I was absent the last days because I am sick. I have a bad inflammation in my left leg. It is swollen, red and it hurts. I take antibiotics since yesterday and I hope they soon will work.
I cannot sit for a longer time. When I put my leg up it hurts less. I try to pop in from time to time.
I wish you all a happy weekend and enjoy the warm weather wherever you have it.
12-weekend.jpg
Oh no Sabine. That is sad news. I hope the anti-biotics works soon. Big hug from me.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
On Monday I put out the oldest of my wooden enclosures because it was full with mold ( the result of high humidity for my torts ). I had help but when we took the enclosure out of the living room the wet wood slided out of my hand and scratched my leg. It hasn`t hurt, so I thought it was okay but on Tuesday the inflammation came with chills and the fever came later.:(:(:(
The good thing: My little (big) sullies have a new enclosure that is bigger than the older was.:)
That is still not good. All that bacteria.
Sending get better vibes.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I am sorry to hear that Sabine [emoji22]

If I go carefully to avoid your leg... there... an electronic hug ... Look after yourself and I hope the antibiotics work quickly. (I nearly said "kick in quickly", but that would have been inappropriate!)
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
oh my!

him.
Not easy choices either way.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
It sounds like he's going to have to come to terms with and accept himself. Whenever that is, maybe then he'll be able to climb out of it.

I'm kind if asking a loaded question here, although I'll admit I sort of resemble this remark... Do you know anything about ADHD? Is it possible that's a factor here?

I can comment from my own experience.... High intelligence + ADHD = extremely difficult to accept yourself and just as hard to live up to expectations (often your own).

The teenage mind is somewhat defective when it comes to decision making in the first place. ADHD makes it that much worse... Sometimes contributes to otherwise good, smart kids doing something unexpected and even stupid.

It is definitely a factor Anne.. I believe is something that’s highly abused these days (parents not wanting to deal with Kids being Kids ) so I was very skeptical about putting him on meds. But he told me he needed them so we went to the doctor the first week I had him. We went back a couple weeks ago for a follow up and changed medication. I asked him closely about his reaction and needs and he maintained that it was necessary and the new meds were better. My son found a pill in my bed which I knew to be his. When confronted, he said he forgot to take it but again swore he needed his meds.. He is now facing felony charges for selling schedule 2 narcotics.. he signed a statement admitting to this stating that he wanted the money to buy weed... I was clueless [emoji20]. I put my son In Danger because I believed I could make a difference. I won’t be able to do this again.. but in my defense, this is the first child out of 4 others that I have completely failed with. However, it’s time for me to just focus on my children. I’m sure God has a plan for Dillon and he used me in some way I don’t recognize yet. I’ll just leave it at that. I will also say that situations like these will sure make you recognize not to take the good in your life for granted:)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas