COLD DARK ROOM

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Oh Bea, I know it was time, but there's never a "right time" to lose someone close. Massive electronic hugs from me.

I do hope that you are able to resolve matters without too much fallout and that you and hubby are able to have a wonderful Christmas.

And the top tip from any Brit when things get too much is get the tea pot out. There's nothing that cannot be resolved over tea; sometimes it takes more than one cup. (And you know where your nearest tearoom is ;) Make time for yourself!)

Thinking of you x
Thank you, Linda!:):<3:
(...you've been reading my mind again- I was thinking of visiting the tea room yesterday, but they aren't open on Mondays. So today may be the day!;) )

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
A big hug, Bea! :<3: I know what you mean about death being a friend sometimes. That doesn't take away sadness, but it does bring peace. Hope all the family issues get sorted out. You are a dear friend to me.

Everyone -- I stepped in briefly as the TORTOISE coordinator, knowing that Linda can get swamped in paperwork this time of the year. If anyone needs a middle man to communicate with your TORTOISE recipient (e.g. if there are some issues with shipping&delivery), feel free to message me privately and I will pass the word along. Or message Linda after Wednesday when she has a bit more time. :)
Thank you, Lena!:):<3:

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Day 9 of our Christmas Recipe Extravaganza - an Iranian Treat

This dish is popular in northern Iran. The crunchy layer of rice with the softer creamier rice underneath, the buttery sweet-tart barberries and currants make for an unforgettable treat. It's almost like a rice pudding with a twist. Sometimes it is baked with chicken pieces in it, or served on the side with it. Enjoy!

64fade37-6f2c-4496-82fd-00f77ca82625.jpg

Baked Rice with Barberries (Tah Chin)

Ingredients
  • 6 cups of Water
  • 2 cups Basmati rice washed
  • 2 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1 cup Plain Greek yogurt
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 tbsp Bloomed Saffron
  • Barberries
  • 2 tbsp Butter
  • 3/4 Cup Dried Barberries
  • 1/2 tbsp Sugar
  • 1 tsp Rose Water

• To Top:
  • 2 tbsp Slivered Almonds
  • 2 tbsp Slivered Pistachios

Instructions
  • Pour water in a large pot, bring to boil.
  • Add rice to the boiling water, cook for 10 minutes until the rice is soft on the outside but firm on the inside.
  • Drain the rice, set aside in a bowl.
  • Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat an oven safe dish (8X8) with nonstick spray.
  • Place yogurt, oil and eggs and salt in a large bowl whisk until combined.
  • Add in par cooked rice. mix well.
  • Add in bloomed saffron. Mix well.
  • Pour into the oven safe dish, cover with aluminum foil and poke holes into the aluminum foil using a fork.
  • Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour. The dish is ready once it's fully cooked and stuck together.
Meanwhile, prepare the barberries:
  • Heat a small pan over medium low heat. Melt the butter in the pan.
  • Add in barberries, stir until coated with butter.
  • Add in sugar and rose water. Stir well.
  • Barberries are ready once they're shiny.

To Serve:
Once the Tahchin in ready, flip it into a plate and top it with barberries, slivered almond and slivered pistachios.

Serve plain or with chicken.

Photo and recipe courtesy of https://www.unicornsinthekitchen.com/persian-savory-saffron-cake-tahchin/

Bee62

Germany
Hi, Roomies.
I just wanted to update you on my situation, so you'll know why I may not be around much for a while.

My 95-year old father fell and broke his shoulder 2 weeks ago. He was in the hospital for rehab but had gotten so weak that he aspirated (this means accidentally inhaled) some food and developed pneumonia. My sister who has taken care of him for the past 15 years let me know late last week that he had taken a turn for the worse and was not expected to survive the weekend. i made a flying visit down to Fort Lauderdale Florida where she and he live. Happily, I was able to see him several times over the weekend and make my peace with him. I got home late yesterday evening and he passed away this afternoon.
Although i am sad, it's just an appropriate recognition of his passing, NOT anguished grief over someone who died too soon or who died wrongly. He was a WW ii veteran (in the navy) who saw action in North Africa and Sicily. He was married for 49 years to the love of his life, and was lost without her when she died 18 years before him. He had a large family, a long career that he loved, many hobbies and friends. His was a life well lived.
He developed dementia over the past 15 years of his life, and the dementia gradually destroyed his mind and took away any quality of life. We really "lost" the man we always knew several years ago because of what the dementia did to him. What was left was really just a shell of what he had once been.
His passing was actually a blessing: it was Time.
Sometimes Death is a friend, and this time it certainly was.

I am now navigating unexpected family conflicts following his death, and I seem to end up being the one in the middle. [[ SIGH ]]

But I am fine. My hubby is amazing and this will all get dealt with.
I may lurk on the forum from time to time, but my focus is elsewhere for now, as it should be.

i consider you all friends, even though we've never met face to face.
I love the CDR and I love the forum, but my presence is needed elsewhere right now.

Love to all,
Mooz (Beatrice)
A lot of electronic hugs from me to you, Bea. I am so sorry for your loss. Your father is now resting in eternal peace.
Take care of you that your family conflicts don`t burden you too much. Come to the CDR whenever you need some friends to talk with.:):<3:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hi, Roomies.
I just wanted to update you on my situation, so you'll know why I may not be around much for a while.

My 95-year old father fell and broke his shoulder 2 weeks ago. He was in the hospital for rehab but had gotten so weak that he aspirated (this means accidentally inhaled) some food and developed pneumonia. My sister who has taken care of him for the past 15 years let me know late last week that he had taken a turn for the worse and was not expected to survive the weekend. i made a flying visit down to Fort Lauderdale Florida where she and he live. Happily, I was able to see him several times over the weekend and make my peace with him. I got home late yesterday evening and he passed away this afternoon.
Although i am sad, it's just an appropriate recognition of his passing, NOT anguished grief over someone who died too soon or who died wrongly. He was a WW ii veteran (in the navy) who saw action in North Africa and Sicily. He was married for 49 years to the love of his life, and was lost without her when she died 18 years before him. He had a large family, a long career that he loved, many hobbies and friends. His was a life well lived.
He developed dementia over the past 15 years of his life, and the dementia gradually destroyed his mind and took away any quality of life. We really "lost" the man we always knew several years ago because of what the dementia did to him. What was left was really just a shell of what he had once been.
His passing was actually a blessing: it was Time.
Sometimes Death is a friend, and this time it certainly was.

I am now navigating unexpected family conflicts following his death, and I seem to end up being the one in the middle. [[ SIGH ]]

But I am fine. My hubby is amazing and this will all get dealt with.
I may lurk on the forum from time to time, but my focus is elsewhere for now, as it should be.

i consider you all friends, even though we've never met face to face.
I love the CDR and I love the forum, but my presence is needed elsewhere right now.

Love to all,
Mooz (Beatrice)

Thoughts and prayers are with you Bea... love n hugs !

Bee62

Germany
Yayy. The story is taking up a life of it's own. Love it. Who knew we had such talented and budding writers in the CDR.
I don`t want to seem conceited but I not only sing, I write short stories and books too....:oops::oops::oops:
For Christmas I wrote this year a little story for TFO and the CDR.
It`s name is: "The Christmas tortoise".
I will put the story online on December, 23. 2018......:):):):)