COLD DARK ROOM

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
No worries, Bea! Take care of yourself and everything you need to take care of. We might have to postpone the gift-opening till Jan. 2 or so.
What a wonderful avatar! :):<3:
It looks like a VERY talented little artist drew that for someone she loves!

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Rainy, cold, wet and breezy. Enjoying a cup of freshly brewed Turkish coffee with a hint of cardamon.

Added Father Klaus’ eyes in this morning. Once eyes are dry, I’ll work on some “antiquing”, a final waxing and then mount to a base. Added a pix so you all can see the sack of goods in Santa’’ black bag. Maybe bearing gifts for the CDR?

EYES
BB942F40-791A-403B-8AC2-B4E12C95C0EF.jpeg

SANTA’S BAG
29BD2810-61BB-4002-A91E-C86509CB983A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
For some reason they think that by blowing strong wind on frosty nights it protects the oranges from freezing.
Interesting concept, but with drought and water shortage issues in California, I can see why they go with wind instead of water.

Generally speaking, it gets colder on still, windless, winter nights. Cold air sinks and settles into the low lying areas. If only brief, light freezing temperatures are forecast, moving air does make a difference between frost and no frost being left on the ground (or fruit trees, I'm guessing).

All of Florida's orange groves have traditionally been in the peninsula, where land and sea breezes assist with air movement during the day and night.

However, for a hard freeze -- when temperatures drop to 28F or lower for 4 or more hours, orange farmers rely on WATER, not wind. With hard freezes, the air temperature gets colder than that of ice, so the ice insulates the fruit and keeps it from dropping below 28F. They spray the citrus grove trees down with water, which freezes because the temperatures are 32F or below. But it keeps the fruit from damage due to excessively cold temperatures.

The ice remains until temperatures come back up above freezing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Interesting concept, but with drought and water shortage issues in California, I can see why they go with wind instead of water.

Generally speaking, it gets colder on still, windless, winter nights. Cold air sinks and settles into the low lying areas. If only brief, light freezing temperatures are forecast, moving air does make a difference between frost and no frost being left on the ground (or fruit trees, I'm guessing).

All of Florida's orange groves have traditionally been in the peninsula, where land and sea breezes assist with air movement during the day and night.

However, for a hard freeze -- when temperatures drop to 28F or lower for 4 or more hours, orange farmers rely on WATER, not wind. With hard freezes, the air temperature gets colder than that of ice, so the ice insulates the fruit and keeps it from dropping below 28F. They spray the citrus grove trees down with water, which freezes because the temperatures are 32F or below. But it keeps the fruit from damage due to excessively cold temperatures.

The ice remains until temperatures come back up above freezing.

Our farmers used to use water (drip emitters) and they've also used smudge pots. But with water shortage and poor valley air conditions, they've had to resort to wind machines.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Granted, by the time tortoises would be exposed to wind chill, they should already be in hibernation, in an indoor enclosure, or in a heated shed or night box. Wind chill factors in wind speed in conjunction with actual cold temperatures. For tortoises kept properly, wind chill is probably a moot point.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That reminds me of weather related questions I haven't posed to the forum yet, regarding wind chill factor and heat index, and whether they have any bearing on tortoises and tortoise keeping.
See? That's what I was thinking about freezing the oranges. If the temperature is 30F and they run wind machines, doesn't the wind chill factor make it much colder? Yes, the wind blows away the actual frost, but things freeze at 32F degrees, so even though the frost doesn't touch the oranges, won't they freeze at something colder than 32F degrees?

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
See? That's what I was thinking about freezing the oranges. If the temperature is 30F and they run wind machines, doesn't the wind chill factor make it much colder? Yes, the wind blows away the actual frost, but things freeze at 32F degrees, so even though the frost doesn't touch the oranges, won't they freeze at something colder than 32F degrees?
The wind chill factor makes it feel colder than it really is, but to an orange tree, it actually the temperature it is, whether the wind is blowing or not. Now for any humans out there in the freezing cold orange groves with a strong wind blowing, it's going to feel miserable.