COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
I am keeping my head down. While I was out sorting out my hayfever meds, a parcel was delivered next door for us. My lovely neighbour brought it round and warned me that our neurotic neighbour (let’s call her NN) on the other side of the road is after me.

Apparently NN has problems with her computer and I was in and it all got very tearful and the lovely neighbour also had to listen to something about a broken fence and a leak and...

* Sigh *

I made the mistake of fixing NN’s computer once. She was very grateful and bought me wine as a thank you, but now she keeps coming round and, frankly, I am going to have to tell her to go to a computer shop with it. If there was a remote chance of popping in and out quickly to sort it out then I would be fine, but there isn’t... And you have to hear her entire life story every time!

Luckily, today I have crutches I can brandish and claim I am in too much discomfort to think about fixing computers.

I feel awful about talking about someone else like this. It sounds really unkind. And I suppose it is. But NN has stretched my patience too far. She has adult children living locally; they can help her find help!

LMAO!!! And there you have it folks.... Linda has proven herself to be unequivocally NORMAL!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Yes, I have the data loggers buried for them and I buried a sensor push for them as well, which allows us to get info now instead of waiting the year for the data loggers. I send them the temp readings and humidity readings every two weeks. And yes, it was fantastic news the Dan's egg hatched. Now all his other have to hatch as well. So very happy for him. Which means that you getting one of these torts is closer than you think.

[emoji16]! That would be wonderful... but I’d like to see your egg hatch as well. Maybe you have one or two in there that your not aware of????

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
He is giving it 2 more months to completely heal with eye exercises.
The muscles in my right eye have tightened up too much on the outside unexpectedly causing the eye to stay in place and not move to where it should. The hope is that the exercises will loosen those muscles. If not, he will go back in at the end of the two months and fix it. Oy vey!
I’m glad you’re getting better [emoji851][emoji847]

Well I hope the exercises work!!!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
My son and his family took an airline flight from Texas to San Francisco, then rented two cars and drove up to Oregon for the funeral of my daughter-in-law's mother. Afterwards, back in San Francisco, they had time before the flight home (next day) to do sightseeing. They went on a double decker bus for a sightseeing trip around various points of interest in S.F. and to the Golden Gate Bridge.

I was raised in S.F., only moving to Fresno when I got married. And we didn't have sightseeing vehicles back in those days (over 60 years ago). This is of the Haight/Ashbury district (in the olden days this is hippy territory) from the top of a double decker bus:
View attachment 269044

And this is of the type of tiny car you can rent to drive around the city. It's actually a three wheel motorcycle (two wheels in the front and one in the back) with a car body on it:
View attachment 269045

The Golden Gate bridge. Just LOOK at the traffic on the bridge:

View attachment 269046

It’s nice to see pictures but I would skip that trip!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Plus, I'm negotiating for a "sound" wall. That would be a cement wall 6' tall across the front of my property. Since my driveway won't be on the front, it would be a nice barrier. then my 6' redwood privacy fences down each side of the property would meet the sound wall and I would effectively be fenced in!! Yea! But my side of the street is in the County, not the City, so the City would have to go to the County and apply for a variance. Right now the county says any fence across the front can be no taller than 3'. Thing is, a variance is not free. So I don't know if the City will go for it. If not, then I'm going to negotiate that now my property value has considerably lessened from what it was before the noise level was an issue.

You go girl!!

Keep fighting and don’t back down!!
You may need to attend those monthly meetings so they know who you are!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My son and his family took an airline flight from Texas to San Francisco, then rented two cars and drove up to Oregon for the funeral of my daughter-in-law's mother. Afterwards, back in San Francisco, they had time before the flight home (next day) to do sightseeing. They went on a double decker bus for a sightseeing trip around various points of interest in S.F. and to the Golden Gate Bridge.

I was raised in S.F., only moving to Fresno when I got married. And we didn't have sightseeing vehicles back in those days (over 60 years ago). This is of the Haight/Ashbury district (in the olden days this is hippy territory) from the top of a double decker bus:
View attachment 269044

And this is of the type of tiny car you can rent to drive around the city. It's actually a three wheel motorcycle (two wheels in the front and one in the back) with a car body on it:
View attachment 269045

The Golden Gate bridge. Just LOOK at the traffic on the bridge:

View attachment 269046

That’s on our bucket list for the future :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Shall we confuse him with Welsh pronunciation? ;)

Just as inconsistent and doesn’t follow the rules of English :D
Shall we start with Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch ?:D

Which means -
Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
There are some terrible examples of dead sea birds, dolphins, turtles, whales etc that have all died as a result of plastic.
In fact microplastics are turning up in the fish we eat now so it's even making its way into our food chains.
It's true - what goes around comes around!
Yes.I saw a pattern for bags made out of old t shirts for shopping. Instead of plastic. You just cut off the sleeves and sew the bottom shut. And washable.

Attachments

• 1554501635750-497616472.jpg
    1554501635750-497616472.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 9

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes.I saw a pattern for bags made out of old t shirts for shopping. Instead of plastic. You just cut off the sleeves and sew the bottom shut. And washable.
Great idea!!
Recycling t shirts as well as not using plastic.
You could use the sleeves to make little pockets in/on the bag too
I'm going to try that!
Now where did I put that old sewing machine???

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Great idea!!
Recycling t shirts as well as not using plastic.
You could use the sleeves to make little pockets in/on the bag too
I'm going to try that!
Now where did I put that old sewing machine???
It was just an idea from my local grocery store. They're getting rid of supplying plastic bags soon. Sooo they are trying to give us ideas. I'll be doing some.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It was just an idea from my local grocery store. They're getting rid of supplying plastic bags soon. Sooo they are trying to give us ideas. I'll be doing some.
For about the last 5 years (at least) we have had to buy bags in stores to encourage people to reuse bags and cut down on plastic. You even have to pay for the brown paper bags in McDonalds. I think it has helped but if people forget to take bags they can get another for a few pence. I think they should be more expensive.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Shall we start with Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch ?:D

Which means -
Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave.

I used to have a train ticket to there...quite the item.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wifey and I have been busy this afternoon working a little wooden ring box with lid and a spindle inside to hang the ring on. Dark and rainy outside, cold too. So, a perfect indoor project.

Here’s one pix. You are seeing the entire box “spinning” but it’s really the top and bottom being held as one unit as we finish smoothing. Both top and bottom are already hollowed out. The top will get a little specially turned finial too.

If you look closely, you can see the fine line that divides top and bottom of this little box.

70A5D3AA-AFCE-47E8-B436-DC32DD447BDF.jpeg