COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Around here they hatch in September, so he probably over-wintered in the nest and came out quite recently. After lunch I'll be going out there and giving the yard a very close inspection. There are normally 4, sometimes 5 eggs per nest.
That's why I'm still kind of watching for Midwest paint turtles. A female ended up at my front door towards the end of July. Possibly laid eggs because she played around in my flower bed under the hostas for a while. If she didn't last summer...maybe this year.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I haven't filled it yet. That's one of my jobs for tomorrow. I'm thinking of using filtered water because I don't want to use our tap water. Thank God pet smart will test the water for free. Since the tank is so small changing a gal.a week is only about 60cents per week. I want to let it go ahead and build it's own bacteria. Then I have time to learn more. I plan on buying the water from a machine at my local kroger.

I use tap water and the tap water drops. We have really hard water here and my last guy lasted 2.5yrs.
The pet stores do t use bottled water either. Just a thought.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I use tap water and the tap water drops. We have really hard water here and my last guy lasted 2.5yrs.
The pet stores do t use bottled water either. Just a thought.
I can wait until I get the water right. My son had a 100gallon tank and said the same as you. I'll just wait. I don't like our tap water. I was thinking of using filtered tap from a machine not bottled. I was also worried that the good minerals would be filtered out by the machine. In the meantime I have a decoration until I get the water right. I saw a male butterfly?? betta that was so beautiful! I'm sure there will be another betta out there in need when I somewhat know what I'm doing.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
For about the last 5 years (at least) we have had to buy bags in stores to encourage people to reuse bags and cut down on plastic. You even have to pay for the brown paper bags in McDonalds. I think it has helped but if people forget to take bags they can get another for a few pence. I think they should be more expensive.
I tried the pattern for a bag for my aquarium supplies. I'm going to do some for shopping too. The plastic problem has been bothering me for a long time.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good to hear your leg is bit less painful today,although it will still take a good while to heal properly so rest it as much as possible.
I find that one crutch is easier, and I'm even starting to manage without that in the house. :)
I'm going to go for a little drive next week to do my own shopping - who'd have thought I'd be so excited about a trip to Aldi or Tesco!!!:rolleyes:
I know that feeling. It's amazing. We have an Aldi's too though. I didn't know that they are in the UK too.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Fighting a nurse armed with a syringe in the doctor's surgery is not easily forgotten, and it was a story about me that was repeated regularly as I was growing up so I wasn't allowed to forget it!:)
Well...she was bugging you so that's a bugger right...

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I was having some double vision from a “lazy eye” as a child.
The eye surgeon tried to fix it in February and it didn’t go as well as planned. My eye started healing with some scar tissue which caused it to pull out of position. Which made the double vision worse. Now I’m in physical therapy in hopes to stretch the muscles to move the eye into its desired position. In two months we will know if this will cure it or surgery is needed again..
Oh my! Did they cover your good eye when you were a child? I think that's supposed to train the "lazy" eye.

I guess that won't work now. I sure hope the PT helps!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I haven't filled it yet. That's one of my jobs for tomorrow. I'm thinking of using filtered water because I don't want to use our tap water. Thank God pet smart will test the water for free. Since the tank is so small changing a gal.a week is only about 60cents per week. I want to let it go ahead and build it's own bacteria. Then I have time to learn more. I plan on buying the water from a machine at my local kroger.
I would suggest that you use your tap water, and of course dechlorinator.

The fish actually need the minerals in the water, and if you add a live plant it needs minerals too. Your pet shop uses treated tap water, so I think if it's a big difference in the pH of your local water and the filtered, you could actually kill your fish if you don't acclimate really slowly.

I know they seem expensive, but you really should get the API Master Test kit for fresh water. You will need it to know when your tank is cycled. Petco, etc uses test strips, and will only tell you "it's ok" or not. Kind of like round stickon temp/hygrometers. Accuracy is important. If you order it from Amazon, it will probably run you $20., vs probably $30 at Petco or Petsmart.

There is a very good fish forum called Fishlore, and they have several subforums devoted to only bettas. You would probably get a lot of good info from them.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/forums/betta-fish.40/

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
At last!
My parcel arrived. I have to teach myself how to use it now.
They've very kindly given me a voucher to save 10$ off my nest Solarmeter product too!:rolleyes:
Oh my...that's why I hate sitting around stinky all day waiting for a delivery. When it finally comes, you're so happy that you say thanks! Instead of "what the heck took you so long!"?