COLD DARK ROOM

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I would suggest that you use your tap water, and of course dechlorinator.

The fish actually need the minerals in the water, and if you add a live plant it needs minerals too. Your pet shop uses treated tap water, so I think if it's a big difference in the pH of your local water and the filtered, you could actually kill your fish if you don't acclimate really slowly.

I know they seem expensive, but you really should get the API Master Test kit for fresh water. You will need it to know when your tank is cycled. Petco, etc uses test strips, and will only tell you "it's ok" or not. Kind of like round stickon temp/hygrometers. Accuracy is important. If you order it from Amazon, it will probably run you $20., vs probably $30 at Petco or Petsmart.

There is a very good fish forum called Fishlore, and they have several subforums devoted to only bettas. You would probably get a lot of good info from them.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/forums/betta-fish.40/
@Cathie G..Also...a small tank, like your 5.5g, is much less stable than a large tank. There will only be about 4-4.5g of water in it, and any chemical change will be extremely fast. Faster than you can get to Petco to get an approximate, at best, test result.

You really need the Master test kit. Don't waste your money on test strips.

If you order it now from Amazon, you can test your tap water and see if you really need filtered. Remember, if a disaster happened to your tank, would you have enough bought water on hand to fill it?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes I finally got it! There are people named « lyne » too here prononced « L » « in ».
What language do you speak? I may have missed a post on that. My brother is deaf and can't talk English but we somehow manage. It's a really interesting subject to me.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Pics of my grandsons. The pics where they are standing by a gopher tortoise is at a park where there are over 100 of them living in the wild. The pic with turtles in the water is at the same park.IMG_37131.jpg IMG_37331.jpg IMG_38811.jpg IMG_38841.jpg
The only accident was my son opened a door on my younger grandsons foot and he got 6 stitches. Ouch!

Reptilony

QC, CAN
What language do you speak? I may have missed a post on that. My brother is deaf and can't talk English but we somehow manage. It's a really interesting subject to me.

French, we have some english class at school but you can pass without being so good, I personally learned by watching youtube a lot. I don’t speak sign language, do you?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I would suggest that you use your tap water, and of course dechlorinator.

The fish actually need the minerals in the water, and if you add a live plant it needs minerals too. Your pet shop uses treated tap water, so I think if it's a big difference in the pH of your local water and the filtered, you could actually kill your fish if you don't acclimate really slowly.

I know they seem expensive, but you really should get the API Master Test kit for fresh water. You will need it to know when your tank is cycled. Petco, etc uses test strips, and will only tell you "it's ok" or not. Kind of like round stickon temp/hygrometers. Accuracy is important. If you order it from Amazon, it will probably run you $20., vs probably $30 at Petco or Petsmart.

There is a very good fish forum called Fishlore, and they have several subforums devoted to only bettas. You would probably get a lot of good info from them.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/forums/betta-fish.40/

I agree. Use tap water as it has the minerals in it. You mix the dechlorinator with the water in a bucket before you add it to the tank.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Interesting question. It would be interesting to know what language(s) roomies speak and what they consider to be their first language.

French, we have some english class at school but you can pass without being so good, I personally learned by watching youtube a lot. I don’t speak sign language, do you?
As Olivier has started the ball rolling...

English is my first language. I was taught French and German at school. Having worked in France and had a much better teacher, my French is considerably better than my German.

I usually find it easier to read a foreign language than to speak it as knowing odd words in various languages, thanks to my travels, means I can often work it out. Catalan, for example, requires French, Spanish and a bit of Latin. And Danish signs proved remarkably easy to work out. :D

Greek is surprisingly easy to read if you learn their alphabet in Maths as I did. I remember seeing a poster for a film and trying to work out who the star was. It turned out to be Robert Redford, but because the Greeks use Mu and Pi together to make a B sound it read Rompert Redford to me :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good mornooning all!

It’s early Sunday morning and I am quietly catching up over a (decaffeinated) coffee while JoesDad lies in. I had better go feed the fish as they’re all staring at me... they’d be hammering on the glass if they could :D

We have Golden Barbs in the tank and their default is hungry. A Golden Barb that doesn’t want to eat is probably dead [emoji23] Everything else has to move quickly when they’re fed or they get nothing!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Pics of my grandsons. The pics where they are standing by a gopher tortoise is at a park where there are over 100 of them living in the wild. The pic with turtles in the water is at the same park.View attachment 269122 View attachment 269125 View attachment 269126 View attachment 269127
The only accident was my son opened a door on my younger grandsons foot and he got 6 stitches. Ouch!
Lovely boys and looks like a great day - apart from the stitches! :(
I bet your son feels terrible about it, but accidents happen.
I see they have Opo's undivided attention with food!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Interesting question. It would be interesting to know what language(s) roomies speak and what they consider to be their first language.

As Olivier has started the ball rolling...

English is my first language. I was taught French and German at school. Having worked in France and had a much better teacher, my French is considerably better than my German.

I usually find it easier to read a foreign language than to speak it as knowing odd words in various languages, thanks to my travels, means I can often work it out. Catalan, for example, requires French, Spanish and a bit of Latin. And Danish signs proved remarkably easy to work out. :D

Greek is surprisingly easy to read if you learn their alphabet in Maths as I did. I remember seeing a poster for a film and trying to work out who the star was. It turned out to be Robert Redford, but because the Greeks use Mu and Pi together to make a B sound it read Rompert Redford to me :D
English is my first language and I speak some Welsh but understand more that I hear than I can say. My Dad was a Welsh speaker but it was never spoken at home.
I was taught French, German and Latin in school but only took French to exam level. Welsh was offered as an extracurricular subject but I was far too busy to do that.:rolleyes:
These days Welsh is compulsory in Welsh schools up to exam level.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good mornooning all!

It’s early Sunday morning and I am quietly catching up over a (decaffeinated) coffee while JoesDad lies in. I had better go feed the fish as they’re all staring at me... they’d be hammering on the glass if they could :D

We have Golden Barbs in the tank and their default is hungry. A Golden Barb that doesn’t want to eat is probably dead [emoji23] Everything else has to move quickly when they’re fed or they get nothing!
Good morning Linda. Hope the fish are feeling happier now they've been fed.