COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Good morning Lyn :)

When JoesDad got up he asked me if they had been fed because they all crowded to the glass as soon as he appeared. They didn’t get seconds [emoji849]
They really are chancers aren't they?:rolleyes:
or, with their memory span, could it be they've forgotten they've been fed!;)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Lovely boys and looks like a great day - apart from the stitches! :(
I bet your son feels terrible about it, but accidents happen.
I see they have Opo's undivided attention with food!
Opo warmed up to them quick. Unlike a month ago when 2 of my other grandsons about the same age were here. Opo ate and ate and then turned around walked into his hide about 2:30 and went to sleep. Didn't get up until 9:30 the next morning. I guess the boys wore him out. Me to lol

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Interesting question. It would be interesting to know what language(s) roomies speak and what they consider to be their first language.

As Olivier has started the ball rolling...

English is my first language. I was taught French and German at school. Having worked in France and had a much better teacher, my French is considerably better than my German.

I usually find it easier to read a foreign language than to speak it as knowing odd words in various languages, thanks to my travels, means I can often work it out. Catalan, for example, requires French, Spanish and a bit of Latin. And Danish signs proved remarkably easy to work out. :D

Greek is surprisingly easy to read if you learn their alphabet in Maths as I did. I remember seeing a poster for a film and trying to work out who the star was. It turned out to be Robert Redford, but because the Greeks use Mu and Pi together to make a B sound it read Rompert Redford to me :D
Wow impressive all the languages you know. I am trying to learn my wife's language. Tagalog from the Philippines. I am not very good but with all the medical things going on. I haven't gave it my best effort.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
English is my first language and I speak some Welsh but understand more that I hear than I can say. My Dad was a Welsh speaker but it was never spoken at home.
I was taught French, German and Latin in school but only took French to exam level. Welsh was offered as an extracurricular subject but I was far too busy to do that.:rolleyes:
These days Welsh is compulsory in Welsh schools up to exam level.
Wow another member multi lingual. Impressive.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Right, then left, then 3 more lefts and two more rights!!!

You’re mostly right. ;)

Hi, roommates! My grandfather passed away a couple of days ago. He was 90 and growing very weak, so I guess it was time. He’d had a hard life, with the WWII, the Soviet Union and the subsequent collapse. Very few lived that long in his generation. Anyway, I’m taking a few days off, then traveling. I’ll really need one of those amazing summaries when I’m back. Take care, y’all! [emoji8]

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Interesting question. It would be interesting to know what language(s) roomies speak and what they consider to be their first language.

English is my first language. I was taught French and German at school. Having worked in France and had a much better teacher, my French is considerably better than my German.

I usually find it easier to read a foreign language than to speak it as knowing odd words in various languages, thanks to my travels, means I can often work it out. Catalan, for example, requires French, Spanish and a bit of Latin. And Danish signs proved remarkably easy to work out. :D

Greek is surprisingly easy to read if you learn their alphabet in Maths as I did. I remember seeing a poster for a film and trying to work out who the star was. It turned out to be Robert Redford, but because the Greeks use Mu and Pi together to make a B sound it read Rompert Redford to me :D

Danish signs ARE easy! ;)

IMG_1135.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You’re mostly right. ;)

Hi, roommates! My grandfather passed away a couple of days ago. He was 90 and growing very weak, so I guess it was time. He’d had a hard life, with the WWII, the Soviet Union and the subsequent collapse. Very few lived that long in his generation. Anyway, I’m taking a few days off, then traveling. I’ll really need one of those amazing summaries when I’m back. Take care, y’all! [emoji8]

So sorry to hear that Lena :(

Massive electronic hug from me to you and your family. Take care x [emoji177]

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Thank you for making me feel ignorant once again lol I’ve been dipped in the cold waters of knowledge another time! I didn’t even know this was popular! I think we call it « hockey sur gazon » here. Hey it looks fun I know I’d try it ! So the whole world doesn’t care about our ice skating athletes eh? Even in UK people don’t watch ice hockey?

For Russians, too, hockey is hockey. The normal one that you play on ice. [emoji6] The other one has a long, explanatory name, like “hockey on grass” or “hockey with a ball”, which is short for “not enough ice, eh?” [emoji6][emoji23]

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You’re mostly right. ;)

So sorry for you loss, Lena. Your Grandad sounds amazing to have lived through so many changes.
Have a safe trip and we'll not see you when you get back.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just watching the Oxford v Cambridge University Boat Race Ladies race, although I use the term 'ladies' loosely after hearing some not very ladylike language from the Oxford cox!:oops:
She obviously forgot the mic!:rolleyes:
A win for Cambridge who looked very strong from the start.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
For Russians, too, hockey is hockey. The normal one that you play on ice. [emoji6] The other one has a long, explanatory name, like “hockey on grass” or “hockey with a ball”, which is short for “not enough ice, eh?” [emoji6][emoji23]

lol exactly! lots of russian stars in the last couple of years in the nhl, kovalchuk, kovalev, ovechkin....

Reptilony

QC, CAN

Can you write me one sentence in french please?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Will you incubate them to have lots of baby leopards running around ?
Yes, but I only keep the babies until the next time my tortoise partner comes up from San Diego. He takes them home with him to sell. You can see some of his hold backs at kapidolofarms.com

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You’re mostly right. ;)

So sorry to hear that. Take care of yourself, and we'll see you (and expect some pictures) when you get back.