COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Good afternooning all. My leg continues to make progress, but I am not exactly back up to speed yet. I am having to force myself to behave :D

It’s grey and drizzling here. Damp and uninspiring.

There’s not much to report other than we shall be staying in and watching the Boat Race (annual rowing challenge between Oxford and Cambridge Universities on the River Thames) and the Grand National (probably the most famous UK horse race) on television.

Have a good Saturday everyone :)
You too Linda.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all. !
Today is the day of the annual Crawfish boil and the weather looks ominous.... again[emoji35]. Every year, it’s difficult to pick a date that we can host the boil where hubby and closest friends are home at the same time. We are very limited.. and for the past 3 years, it rains!!! Oh well.... guess we will make the best of it... on another note, Toretto has settled in nicely with the comings and goings of his yard and box so I’ve been leaving the door/ ramp open the past couple nights. I did install a camera for my peace of mind..[emoji16] one more addiction[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]View attachment 269086
Oh no. That sucks. I hope the rain does not put too much of a damper on the festivities. I am unable to see the pic again. Oh well hopefully it will come through later.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning all. !
Today is the day of the annual Crawfish boil and the weather looks ominous.... again[emoji35]. Every year, it’s difficult to pick a date that we can host the boil where hubby and closest friends are home at the same time. We are very limited.. and for the past 3 years, it rains!!! Oh well.... guess we will make the best of it... on another note, Toretto has settled in nicely with the comings and goings of his yard and box so I’ve been leaving the door/ ramp open the past couple nights. I did install a camera for my peace of mind..[emoji16] one more addiction[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]View attachment 269086
Got it now. Lol it is addictive. Ha ha ha.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thank you for making me feel ignorant once again lol I’ve been dipped in the cold waters of knowledge another time! I didn’t even know this was popular! I think we call it « hockey sur gazon » here. Hey it looks fun I know I’d try it ! So the whole world doesn’t care about our ice skating athletes eh? Even in UK people don’t watch ice hockey?
We don't have much ice here to play ice hockey. So we play normal hockey.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is very tiny! Newly hatched I assume :)
Around here they hatch in September, so he probably over-wintered in the nest and came out quite recently. After lunch I'll be going out there and giving the yard a very close inspection. There are normally 4, sometimes 5 eggs per nest.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Don’t feel ignorant. The CDR has become all about learning about other countries. I think all of us have learned new things about what is considered normal!

There are very few ice rinks in the UK so that is a natural restriction on both play and support. It doesn’t get cold enough to play outdoors. There is a team in Gillingham, about 20 miles from me, but it doesn’t have a big following. It is remarkably hard to keep an ice rink frozen, even indoors, if the weather isn’t cold enough. Hence British ice rinks are more common the further north you go in the UK.

The Scandinavian countries, The Netherlands and the Eastern European countries like Russia have better facilities and colder weather and play it more. Here in the UK it is largely something that gets watched during the winter Olympics... there’s nothing like USA v Canada for a good punch up ;)

Here in the UK, the number one team sport is football (what you call soccer probably) Rugby Union, Cricket and Rugby League all have big followings too, but nothing like as big as football. Field hockey is played in schools, but doesn’t have a particularly big following either... bigger than ice hockey though!
In South Africa it is first Rugby, then cricket. And in schools hockey is third.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
What a cute tank!! I love the color and the cute mushroom!
I haven't filled it yet. That's one of my jobs for tomorrow. I'm thinking of using filtered water because I don't want to use our tap water. Thank God pet smart will test the water for free. Since the tank is so small changing a gal.a week is only about 60cents per week. I want to let it go ahead and build it's own bacteria. Then I have time to learn more. I plan on buying the water from a machine at my local kroger.