COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
For about the last 5 years (at least) we have had to buy bags in stores to encourage people to reuse bags and cut down on plastic. You even have to pay for the brown paper bags in McDonalds. I think it has helped but if people forget to take bags they can get another for a few pence. I think they should be more expensive.
Here in my town they got rid of the plastic bags several months, maybe even a year ago. We either have to bring our own or buy a bag at the store. My worry is that the re-usable plastic bag we buy from the store is much stronger and will stay in the environment much longer than the flimsy bags we used to get. I've used the old style plastic bags, crumpled up and stapled to the inside edge of my tortoise roof, as insulation and those old style bags only lasted out in the elements for about a year. These newer, heavy duty bags will last much longer and cause more environmental problems than the old ones did.

Last edited:

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hockey to everyone outside North America means field hockey... not ice hockey! Ice hockey is played elsewhere in the world, but is nowhere new as popular as it is the USA and Canada

Thank you for making me feel ignorant once again lol I’ve been dipped in the cold waters of knowledge another time! I didn’t even know this was popular! I think we call it « hockey sur gazon » here. Hey it looks fun I know I’d try it ! So the whole world doesn’t care about our ice skating athletes eh? Even in UK people don’t watch ice hockey?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good morning all. !
Today is the day of the annual Crawfish boil and the weather looks ominous.... again[emoji35]. Every year, it’s difficult to pick a date that we can host the boil where hubby and closest friends are home at the same time. We are very limited.. and for the past 3 years, it rains!!! Oh well.... guess we will make the best of it... on another note, Toretto has settled in nicely with the comings and goings of his yard and box so I’ve been leaving the door/ ramp open the past couple nights. I did install a camera for my peace of mind..[emoji16] one more addiction[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]View attachment 269086
Is that your temperature sensor probe along the ceiling? It needs to be on the floor.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Here in my town they got rid of the plastic bags several months, maybe even a year ago. We either have to bring out own or buy a bag at the store. My worry is that the re-usable plastic bag we buy from the store is much stronger and will stay in the environment much longer than the flimsy bags we used to get. I've used the old style plastic bags, crumpled up and stapled to the inside edge of my tortoise roof, as insulation and those old style bags only lasted out in the elements for about a year. These newer, heavy duty bags will last much longer and cause more environmental problems than the old ones did.
Very good point Yvonne!
They are pretty cheap too, so of little value to the people who buy them.
The thin biodegradable sort would be better.....or paper even - like the ones we see in films being used in the US

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you for making me feel ignorant once again lol I’ve been dipped in the cold waters of knowledge another time! I didn’t even know this was popular! I think we call it « hockey sur gazon » here. Hey it looks fun I know I’d try it ! So the whole world doesn’t care about our ice skating athletes eh? Even in UK people don’t watch ice hockey?
Don’t feel ignorant. The CDR has become all about learning about other countries. I think all of us have learned new things about what is considered normal!

There are very few ice rinks in the UK so that is a natural restriction on both play and support. It doesn’t get cold enough to play outdoors. There is a team in Gillingham, about 20 miles from me, but it doesn’t have a big following. It is remarkably hard to keep an ice rink frozen, even indoors, if the weather isn’t cold enough. Hence British ice rinks are more common the further north you go in the UK.

The Scandinavian countries, The Netherlands and the Eastern European countries like Russia have better facilities and colder weather and play it more. Here in the UK it is largely something that gets watched during the winter Olympics... there’s nothing like USA v Canada for a good punch up ;)

Here in the UK, the number one team sport is football (what you call soccer probably) Rugby Union, Cricket and Rugby League all have big followings too, but nothing like as big as football. Field hockey is played in schools, but doesn’t have a particularly big following either... bigger than ice hockey though!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you Linda. It seems I have a "green thumb" for tortoises. :rolleyes: A "tortoise thumb" you might say. :DAll of my torts are growing well. This year my sulcatas will get a bigger enclosure in my stable. More space to roam and to grow and I think the two aldabras I put in the enclosure where the sulcatas are at present.:tort::<3:
You - or maybe your torts - are so lucky to have so much space Sabine.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here in my town they got rid of the plastic bags several months, maybe even a year ago. We either have to bring out own or buy a bag at the store. My worry is that the re-usable plastic bag we buy from the store is much stronger and will stay in the environment much longer than the flimsy bags we used to get. I've used the old style plastic bags, crumpled up and stapled to the inside edge of my tortoise roof, as insulation and those old style bags only lasted out in the elements for about a year. These newer, heavy duty bags will last much longer and cause more environmental problems than the old ones did.

I read somewhere that the heavier bags needed to be used over 100 times before they became more environmentally friendly than the lightweight bags. Few of them are. This actually makes them worse for the environment.

One of the UK supermarkets, Morrisons, is trialling heavy duty paper bags in place of plastic ones.

Bee62

Germany
Wow I didn’t know you had four sullys! And they look so smooth! And it gets below zero a couple months a year in deutschland right?
Hi, yes I have four sullies, two aldabras ( babies ), 2 redfoot tortoises and 2 Hermann`s tortoises. And yep, it can get below zero in winter in Germany.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes we have ice skating teams like the Cardiff Devils but it's not as popular as in US and Canada.
I don't think I've ever seen a game on tv
The exchange of knowledge works both ways.
I've learnt a lot about other members countries from TFO, that I didn't know before!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I read somewhere that the heavier bags needed to be used over 100 times before they became more environmentally friendly than the lightweight bags. Few of them are. This actually makes them worse for the environment.

One of the UK supermarkets, Morrisons, is trialling heavy duty paper bags in place of plastic ones.
Really? That's good - I've not been to Morrisons - or any supermarket actually for months!!.
The plastic woven type are terrible they disintegrate into very small pieces.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

IMHO, The ice hockey season is just WAY TOO long, like baseball, just goes on and on and on. We have the Washington Capitals right down the road....then in the end, it comes down to penalty shots to “win”.
  • The season structure of the National Hockey League (NHL) is divided into the regular season and the Stanley Cup playoffs. In the regular season, which generally runs from early October through early April, teams play 82 games which determine their standings.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
May I ask what happened to your eye?

I was having some double vision from a “lazy eye” as a child.
The eye surgeon tried to fix it in February and it didn’t go as well as planned. My eye started healing with some scar tissue which caused it to pull out of position. Which made the double vision worse. Now I’m in physical therapy in hopes to stretch the muscles to move the eye into its desired position. In two months we will know if this will cure it or surgery is needed again..