JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
He did this on his way to parts unknown

View attachment 312227
.View attachment 312227
Because I’m me and I had to know... this is a male Downy Woodpecker

It is very similar to the Hairy Woodpecker, which you would also get, but the beak length is much shorter.

Like our Great Spotted Woodpecker, the male has a red spot on the back of the head, juveniles have a red cap and females have no red on the head :)

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Happy Sunday all.

Some sunshine & cooler weather. Out doing some gardening & tidying up the gardens, pruning & cutting back the annuals & perennials. Powerwashed the front porch yesterday, cleaned up one water fountain & put it away for Winter. Cut back & hauled our massive Elephant Ear plants into the garage - same with our “banana plantation pot”. It gets cold enough, long enough here (with snow) that these all need some warm location to be dormant in for Winter.

Fig trees as well. I used to have close to maybe 40 trees, some potted, some in-ground. Ive sold some, some died, gave some away. A lot easier to deal with just a handful. Turned off the outside water now as well.

Time for a break..

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Beautiful day in Texas today.. high 50’s.. a bit windy.. I burned some limbs which got a little scary but all good now.. lol . Sister is coming over for a visit shortly. She has accepted a job for a 3 month stint in Canada providing health care.. She leaves January 19th. I am both proud of her and nervous for her.. and maybe a little jealous!!! Lol.. I have only asked that she take lots of pictures!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ok, honest opinions here please. Don't color your opinions because of who I am.

I have trees planted in front of my manure pile along the side street of my property. The trees overhang to the ground, covering the right-of-way area all the way from my property line to the street for a length of about 50'. It's my property and the neighborhood is rural.

So this a.m. I went out and dumped my ashes from the wood stove on the manure pile and Misty went with me. When I was ready to go in I walked around to the street to see what Misty was doing and someone had trimmed my trees back from the street, leaving the 'trimmings' laying there on the ground.

The trees are not inhibiting being able to see traffic and are not offensive at all in my opinion. There's extremely light traffic on this street and if the trees were too far out in the street, a car had only to move to the middle of the street to avoid them.

I spray Round-Up and a pre-emergent weed killer all around the outside of my property to keep the weeds controlled, and with the branches laying on the ground, I have to first clean the area before I can spray. I have no place to put tree trash. (I recently bought a heavy duty chipper/shredder, but can't use it yet until I get my strength back)

I have no idea what went through this trimmer person's head when they trimmed my trees, but in my opinion, they should have picked up the branches and disposed of them, or else don't trim the trees.

What's your opinion?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

I have trees planted in front of my manure pile along the side street of my property. The trees overhang to the ground, covering the right-of-way area all the way from my property line to the street for a length of about 50'. It's my property and the neighborhood is rural.

So this a.m. I went out and dumped my ashes from the wood stove on the manure pile and Misty went with me. When I was ready to go in I walked around to the street to see what Misty was doing and someone had trimmed my trees back from the street, leaving the 'trimmings' laying there on the ground.

The trees are not inhibiting being able to see traffic and are not offensive at all in my opinion. There's extremely light traffic on this street and if the trees were too far out in the street, a car had only to move to the middle of the street to avoid them.

I spray Round-Up and a pre-emergent weed killer all around the outside of my property to keep the weeds controlled, and with the branches laying on the ground, I have to first clean the area before I can spray. I have no place to put tree trash. (I recently bought a heavy duty chipper/shredder, but can't use it yet until I get my strength back)

I have no idea what went through this trimmer person's head when they trimmed my trees, but in my opinion, they should have picked up the branches and disposed of them, or else don't trim the trees.

What's your opinion?
I wpuld be absolutely furious! No other words for it! Nobody trims trees on my property without my consent!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA

What's your opinion?
That sounds like a government job. Our city workers do that if you grow anything in the easement (next to public property) then leave you the pile

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Because I’m me and I had to know... this is a male Downy Woodpecker

It is very similar to the Hairy Woodpecker, which you would also get, but the beak length is much shorter.

Like our Great Spotted Woodpecker, the male has a red spot on the back of the head, juveniles have a red cap and females have no red on the head :)
Thank you. I've looked on google and in my birdquide and still couldn't tell. I see a lot of birds though in this area that just pass through too.?.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

What's your opinion?

Do you think this was done by an individual (who walks or runs here) or by the town, city, county road guys? I used to work (part-time in Summer) on a Township road maintenance crew. Out along rural roads, etc. we would often times trim back tree limbs just like this. Once in awhile the home owner would get a bit miffed, but our supervisor would explain why we were trimming back. All that said, if we cut it, we picked it up. I’m wondering if a walker/jogger did this?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

What's your opinion?
I had a tree trimmer come once for the crab apple tree. I had to pay a little more for him to take the trimmings. I wanted to keep them for basket weaving but I couldn't. It wasn't a lot of money because he has a chipper.? I did have to make arrangements with him first though.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Beautiful day in Texas today.. high 50’s.. a bit windy.. I burned some limbs which got a little scary but all good now.. lol . Sister is coming over for a visit shortly. She has accepted a job for a 3 month stint in Canada providing health care.. She leaves January 19th. I am both proud of her and nervous for her.. and maybe a little jealous!!! Lol.. I have only asked that she take lots of pictures!!!
So this should have said Alaska.. Bethel Alaska.. don’t know why I said Canada ?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

What's your opinion?
In most cases, the Hwy department or the electric company has to trim the trees.. don’t believe they are supposed to leave the piles though.. ?. You might count call and find out who did it and make them clean it up..

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

What's your opinion?
If it was the city or county maybe they were coming back on a later date to pick up.
If it's a neighbor he needs to mind his property not yours.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida

What's your opinion?
Would the city have done the trimming, or a neighbor?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you think this was done by an individual (who walks or runs here) or by the town, city, county road guys? I used to work (part-time in Summer) on a Township road maintenance crew. Out along rural roads, etc. we would often times trim back tree limbs just like this. Once in awhile the home owner would get a bit miffed, but our supervisor would explain why we were trimming back. All that said, if we cut it, we picked it up. I’m wondering if a walker/jogger did this?
When the county trims trees they notify you it's going to happen and they always clean up their mess.