• I am not a smoker, or around cigarette smoke, and my tortoise is energetic

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Sheldon was a very lethargic tortoise, and I lived in an apartment where the neighbor's cigarette smoke ALWAYS leaked in. I recently moved to a clean house and Sheldon has perked up tremendously.

I realize there's a thousand factors involved in a tortoise being energetic, but I'm curious to see if there's a trend between smoking and tortoise health.

The poll is anonymous, and applies only to those who have tortoises that live over 50% of the time indoors.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
I don't know if smoking contributes to lethargy, but I would think it would, given that tortoises' lungs are much smaller and simpler than ours. Also, smoking has been shown to have the same health effects in dogs and cats as in humans.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Inhaling smoke particles is not good for any species at any time. Just how damaging it is will always be debatable. I always think of those side by side comparisons of smokers lungs next to healthy non-smokers lungs. Blecch! Nasty stuff.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My mother was a smoker. She was disabled and sat in her recliner all day long. After she was moved to a nursing home, we cleaned her house. The bay window next to her chair, the walls, the drapes...everything in that room, had a layer of yellow gunk on it. You could actually scrape it off with a putty knife. I'm assuming it was nicotine from the cigarette smoke. If it sticks to walls and windows, I'd hate to think what it does to your tortoise's lungs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am a smoker, but I only smoke outside and it's not around my tort. However, i wouldn't think it would make a difference in energy, but it probably does make a difference in his health in the long run.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree this is a highly debatable topic...until someone learns the proper human husbandry (lol) there will never be a truly fail proof answer to this question..in my humble opinion...:p

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Going back to the original question (at least in the thread title anyway): does smoking affect tortoises? I think the simple answer is yes, because logic dictates that it affects any other animal studies have been done on (humans, dogs, cats, rodents, etc.).

The question is: HOW it affects them.

My personal opinion is that it certainly doesn't benefit them in any way (unless some study could indicate that smoking or secondhand smoke inhalation reduces stress is tortoises, although I have no idea how you would perform the tests!), and given the general longterm affect smoking has on one's body (specifically the respiratory system), I doubt prolonged exposure to the habit and/or secondhand smoke is really healthy for a tortoise. Again, just my opinion.

Of course, in the same token, some people claim to have fed their iguanas pizza and popcorn on a regular basis, and the lizards lived impressively for more than 10 years. Surely, everything else in the animals' husbandry is a factor, so like Angela said, I suppose it is debatable how much a healthy, well-maintained tortoise can withstand.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I think smoking around a tortoise, or anything that breathes for that matter, probably isn't a good idea. I smoked for 22 years, a bad habit I started when I was 16. Next month, I will be cigarette free for two years! I've never felt better.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
See I think it would effect the tortoises energy, I know for a fact as a construction worker, everyonce in a while I will get offered a cig and will take and smoke it. well everytime I smoke a cig, I become outta breath and cant seem to get back in to my rythem without feeling drug down and short of breath. So for a tortoise to be breathing cig smoke i think you will see a great difference in energy. anything that cuts your oxygen percentage in half and exchange it for smoke is gonna cause you to be lethargic. Heavy regular smokers may not consder this true because they smoke everyday and dont know what kinda energy they really use to have.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Laurie said:
I think smoking around a tortoise, or anything that breathes for that matter, probably isn't a good idea. I smoked for 22 years, a bad habit I started when I was 16. Next month, I will be cigarette free for two years! I've never felt better.

Congrats:)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The trouble with smoke of any kind, is that it is loaded with carbonized molecules like benzenes and buckminsterfullerines. These are known DNA mutagens that can cause cancer in mammals, and probably harm all other animals as well.

Humans and tortoises can survive forest fires every few years. But inhaling smoke everyday? That's not good for anyone.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
It's definitely possible, but I wonder if there are other factors contributing to his perkiness. I mean, just how much smoke leaked into your place?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Laurie said:

Now that is something to be extremely proud of!!!!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Jacqui said:
Now that is something to be extremely proud of!!!!

Thanks! Thank you too, Barb :). It took a few tries, but finally stuck. I was smoking one pack a day @ $10.00/pack , saved a ton of money. I enjoy spending it on my torts more anyway ;)

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Mgridgaway said:
It's definitely possible, but I wonder if there are other factors contributing to his perkiness. I mean, just how much smoke leaked into your place?

A lot of smoke. I smelled like a smoker and had to open the windows often. When I moved, I had to wash all my clothes, bedsheets, towels, and even my kitchen towels to get the smell out.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Laurie said:

Congratulations! :cool:

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Moozilion said:
"...buckminsterfullerines..." hahaha!!!

Hey, that's what they're called. :D

And they're super cool! Almost like carbon soccer balls :D
They're known as "bucky balls" too!

120px-Buckminsterfullerene-perspective-3D-balls.png

They're named after a guy whose name was Buckminster Fuller. The molecules are used to carry other molecules inside them, like contrast agents for medical scans. They're also used to facilitate many chemical reactions, and are being considered for hydrogen storage so we can drive hydrogen-powered cars.

And uh... I think that's enough science for one day.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
WOW!!! ...and I thought you were being silly!! I've learned something new!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.