regulation for Sulcatas?

What's your thoughts on regulation for sulcatas

• I definitely agree that sulcatas are too readily available to the general public and some regulation

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I don't think any regulation is needed

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • I agree some regulation is needed, but I don't knwo what

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Breeders should limit the number of offspring they produce each year

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Any sellers (breeders included) should screen potential buyers thoroughly and be willing to lose a s

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Potential buyers should have to take an exam that says they acknowledge the adult size and husbandry

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • The sulcata dealers/breeder community cannot regulate itself, so Govt should be involved for enforce

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No government involvement is needed. The sulcata dealer/breeders can regulate themselves

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
This is another one of those thought-provoking topics that will likely lead to some interesting discussion. Anything to keep those keyboards from getting too cool, right guys? LOL...Anyway, this is somewhat related to the recent threads about reptile laws & regulation, and animal welfare, etc. So here it is...

This is about SULCATA tortoises. The relative ease of breeding and high reproduction rate (i.e. number of eggs/offspring produced from a single laying) obviously results in these animals being readily available to the general public at a relatively low cost. Now I know breeding any tortoise is a tad harder than say breeding cornsnakes or geckos, and I also know the expense of raising baby tortoises is a little more respectively as well. So I'm acutely aware that sulcata breeders aren't exactly millionaires.

But the issue lies (and I think most of you know where I'm going) in the fact that, while many of these baby sulcatas are widely distributed to pet stores, other dealers and vendors, etc., they are still easily acquired by Joe Public for fairly cheap (arguably, only a wildcaught Russian tortoise is cheaper in most cases). Problem? As many of us know, the sulcata is not a beginner animal. They grow relatively rapidly, and can achieve large adult sizes. Furthermore, there is the common issue of poor husbandry information being perpetuated, which results in many premature baby sulcata deaths. Without going into a lot of detail that many of us have discussed at length before, a sulcata is, quite simply, not suitable in proportion to its availability.

On another thread a while back (I forget the title and can't find it), but the main topic was related to rescues and shelters. I think the issue was hinted at, in that there is obviously a initial market for baby sulcatas. Breeders have the incentive to raise large numbers to meet the demand, and allegedly have little trouble selling every baby they have available. The incentive of course is to produce as many, if not more the following season. But there's the problem that 5-10 yrs down the road where, aside from premature deaths due to poor husbandry, unwanted sulcatas are turning up at rescues and Craigslist, etc...even before they've actually reached adult size of 100+ lbs. So what is the market really? Is it from hobbyists who are genuinely committed to acquiring a tortoise that will likely outgrow them, or just impulse purchase from newbs who want a cute baby tortoise?

What can be done about this? I don't have a clear solution, only ideas. One main, re-occurring one is simply for breeders to cut back and not produce as many baby sulcatas each year. Along with limiting the availability to Joe Public, it would also drive up the initial cost of the animals. This could possibly deter any impulse purchases. After all, right now, you may be able get a baby sulcata for less than $75. If they were twice that amount, you may be more inclined to get another species.

The poll is more generalized for anyone to vote. Now, the following questions are specifically for those who breed sulcatas.

1.) On average, how many sulcata babies do you produce each year?
2.) What do you do with most of the offspring (i.e. keep them, adopt them out to friends, or sell them)?
3.) If you do sell the majority of your offspring, who is your primary clientele (i.e. pet stores, other reptile dealers, directly to general public, or an even mixture)?
4.) If/when selling to other vendors (pet stores/dealers), do you provide your care information for your hatchlings for them to pass on to their customers?
5.) Do you feel that perhaps breeding/producing less babies per season would have any real impact on the market for this species, and help keep more babies out of the hands of irresponsible buyers?
6.) Are there any steps or actions you currently take to aid in this issue, and if so, care to share?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think making this issue the fault of the people breeding sulcatas is really just a red herring.

Yes, there are rescues and shelters over-run with adult sulcatas, but the ones we have discussed that have the biggest issues are also making it near impossible for anyone to adopt or purchase the tortoises. I believe the reality is that a large percentage, if not all, of the adult sulcatas in these rescues could find good homes rather easily.

So, my opinion on the matter is that breeding sulcatas is not the the issue, it's the uneducated buyers who are creating the issue. When the tortoise becomes too much for them to handle, for whatever reason it seems that their conclusion is that it must go to a shelter instead of first trying to find private individuals who could give the tortoise a home. This creates a distorted picture of what is really happening with sulcatas.

In terms of business and making money, I can't fault a breeder who is satisfying the demand.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think a more effective solution, though not very realistic, is to enforce some kind of law where the breeder would have to take back all of the unwanted animals they produce. When the BREEDERS are over-run with tortoises (could apply to other animals), then the breeding stops and the market would be at a true equilibrium I guess you could say.

This wouldn't seem very fair to the breeders since, again, they were originally satisfying the demands of the market. But, I'm just making an argument for debate-sake.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Thanks for the response, Neal.

Just to be clear, this isn't necessarily a big finger-wagging in the face of every individual who breeds sulcatas, saying "This is all YOUR fault!" and I apologize if it came across that way. I understand just like dog breeders, there are good people and not-so-good ones. I know most breeders fall somewhere in the delicate spectrum of enjoying their hobby and making money. I'm certainly an advocate for both as long as the animals' health is paramount.

I still would wish there was some sort of accurate survey that can be conducted that would determine the percentages of baby sulcatas that:
- die within the first few years of purchase
- are kept by the initial purchaser (excusing vendors that may be intermediary between breeder and customer)
- are turned in to a rescue or shelter within the first decade
- rehomed or sold to another individual

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
There's no way on earth that the government would be enthusiastic about lifting a finger about this. They can't even get a grasp on dog overpopulation which is a much larger problem. I would hope if they did, that we would get people like USARK blocking silly ideas like this from being put into law. It scares me that tortoise enthusiasts are the ones bringing up ideas like this. It's been discussed a million times; the "rescues" that actually do have lots of sulcatas (which is extremely few) aren't just giving them out to good homes. I offered to one of them (that was apparently complaining about having too many) a year or two ago that I'd be there on Saturday to pick up 20 or 30 of them, and they said "sure thing, we charge $5 per pound" or some silliness like that.

Keep in mind, a huge number of sulcatas that are produced in the US each year hatch into someone's backyard and are passed off to family and friends or sold on street corners or at swap meets. There's no way anybody could track down all those "breeders" and make any rules apply to them. It's not fair to put rules on the more well-known breeders and neglect the likely higher number that are sold under the radar.

Again, there is no overpopulation. I think many of you would be shocked beyond belief to see the number that are actually produced per year in the US. The tiny, tiny, (tiny) fraction that end up available for adoption at some point down the road is a drop in the bucket.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Before we can really discuss your questions, we should really discuss some of your premises first. I don't agree with some of your assertions. I think sulcatas are a fantastic beginner tortoise. IF they are started correctly they are super hardy, easy to care for, personable and outgoing, easy to feed, very adaptable to a wide variety of conditions, attractive, fun, etc... Education is necessary for ANY species of tortoise. Where I live their size is not an issue since the climate lends itself to outdoor living year round. Same for most of AZ, South FL and other warm parts of the country.

Sulcatas are at the forefront of highlighting the problems of ignorance, apathy, and lack of research because of the sheer numbers produced. I don't think these potential issues are sulcata issues, I think they are the same issues that exist for any other captive animal. We just see it more with sulcatas because of the numbers produced and bought. If you could push a magic button and remove every sulcata from the face of the Earth, these same problems would exist with whatever species took their place. This is why I don't think dealing with a "perceived" sulcata issue will solve any problems. In effect, I think that would be a mediocre solution for dealing with a symptom, while completely ignoring the bigger problem of public ignorance and unscrupulous sellers.

Some humans just make bad decisions some times. Regulating and restricting the vast majority of the rest of the people is not a suitable solution to me.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As long as the breeder is misrepresenting the truth about the animal then it is the buyer's responsibility in this matter, keep the government's hands off of my tortoises.
To Paraphrase " from my cold dead hands"

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
dmmj said:
As long as the breeder is misrepresenting the truth about the animal then it is the buyer's responsibility in this matter,

Maybe its a little late in the day, but I don't think I follow that logic. I do agree that buyers should educate themselves before acquiring any animal...but if the breeder is misrepresenting the truth, are you saying that they shouldn't be accountable?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Unless the breeder is lying to the customer about the particular animal ( dwarf sulcata and stuff like that) then it falls on the buyer to realize what they are getting into, why hold the breeder responsible if they did not do anything wrong?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Yes I see now I meant unless

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
No worries, D!

TylerStewart said:
It's been discussed a million times; the "rescues" that actually do have lots of sulcatas (which is extremely few) aren't just giving them out to good homes.

"Lots" is relative, and I understand that the situation is very different within each state, or even within a specific county. We only have one reptile rescue in my area, and it doesn't get a lot of tortoises in (perhaps its just not well-known). In contrast, all three of the zoos in a 2 hour driving distance all have more than their fair share of adult sulcatas (in relation to the zoo's size, I suppose). Pretty sure the zoos aren't deliberately seeking out to purchase them, so where does one suppose they're coming from?

Keep in mind, a huge number of sulcatas that are produced in the US each year hatch into someone's backyard and are passed off to family and friends or sold on street corners or at swap meets.

True...but again, how many of those friends, relatives, street corner acquaintances, etc. are really equipped to care for a tortoise? Even if they don't plan to care for them longterm, what happens to the tortoises after that? One successful breeding (accidental or otherwise) can result in 20+ babies. And say that Big Bertha and Goliath "get it on" every year accidentally. Do the math. Are the same people getting a baby year after year at the street corner, or a swap meet, or at a family gathering? Heck, if so, is it possible they're replacing the one that they got last year that may have died from poor care?

I'm not saying this is always the case, but I think these questions should be asked. I'm sure the situation varies case to case, but there's a lot of people at the street corner, or even my own relatives or friends that I simply would not feel comfortable passing off a baby tortoise just find it a home.

There's no way anybody could track down all those "breeders" and make any rules apply to them. It's not fair to put rules on the more well-known breeders and neglect the likely higher number that are sold under the radar.

Very true.

Again, there is no overpopulation. I think many of you would be shocked beyond belief to see the number that are actually produced per year in the US. The tiny, tiny, (tiny) fraction that end up available for adoption at some point down the road is a drop in the bucket.

I can accept my assertions may been a little overdramatic. But I'd still like to see a survey like the one I described earlier.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I talk to any potential buyer I tell them that sulcatas are not the best tortoise for everyone. I tell them they get very large, very destructive, eat a ton every day, dig giant man sized burrows, eat all the landscaping in a back yard, destroy the dry wall on the side of a house, and require a tropical temperature heated house all winter long. I also tel them that if you can properly house a pig or a horse on your property, then you can also properly house a sulcata. I let the know that babies need quite a lot of attention for at least the first year, but after that they are relatively low maintenance compared many other large animals.

I have talked a LOT of people out of buying a sulcata. Green iguanas and Nile monitors too. I want people to have whatever pets they want, but I want them to educate themselves FIRST, and make good decisions. If I have to be that vehicle of education then I'm happy to do it. However, me, you and the government have no right to tell anyone that they CAN'T do it. This means that we will have the occasional idiot amongst the majority of people who make the right decisions. Even if there was some sort of ban, test, or other restriction, you will still have idiots that do idiotic things. Regulation and government don't ever stop idiots or criminals. It just infringes on the freedom and rights of the vast majority of people who were never going to do anything idiotic in the first place. Just look around. Drunk driving is stupid, illegal and completely rrehensible. Idiots still do it. I don't know how much more illegal or regulated it could be, short of shooting any one who blows over .08 right there on the side of the road (which I would be in favor of), but it still happens all over the country every day. Obviously drunk driving is a very serious matter, a very real problem, and a serious danger to the public at large. People ignorantly choosing the wrong species of pet tortoise is not a matter of great national importance that warrants even the slightest government involvement. How about we encourage our government to work on solutions to real problems like violent crime, wasteful government over-spending, corrupt politicians and cops, repeat offender drunk drivers, etc...

Student, I don't think you were around for the last few rounds of this discussion about rescues and the situations that they create, but Tyler alluded to it. Rescues have so many because some of them make it ridiculously difficult, invasive and expensive to "adopt" a poor homeless sulcata. I pointed out that in my area only two sulcatas have ever been turned into the shelter and both of them were adopted out within hours of becoming available. The rescues should simply ship there huge surplus of sulcatas to my local animal shelter. They would be adopted and rehomed so fast that they wouldn't even miss a meal. Someone posted about an owner turn in at my local shelter at 12:30 pm one day here on the forum. When I saw the post and called at 1:30 the person had already picked up the tortoise finished the paperwork and left with their new tortoise. Now I have a standing order with them to call me if any tortoise of any species comes in. My phone number is posted up on the wall, so any shelter employee can all me. It's been around two years and that call has not ever come...

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Tom said:
I think sulcatas are a fantastic beginner tortoise. IF they are started correctly they are super hardy, easy to care for, personable and outgoing, easy to feed, very adaptable to a wide variety of conditions, attractive, fun, etc... Education is necessary for ANY species of tortoise. Where I live their size is not an issue since the climate lends itself to outdoor living year round. Same for most of AZ, South FL and other warm parts of the country.

Mark said something kind of along those lines on the show this past Saturday. Keeping redfoots (or any tortoise) is kind of like a saltwater aquarium; its not rocket science, but there are guidelines you need to adhere to to be successful.

I could say the same about green iguanas, or large monitor lizards. They require comparable amount of daily maintenance and can live outdoors most of the year in much of the country. But they are not beginner reptiles anymore than a sulcata is IMHO.

Sulcatas are at the forefront of highlighting the problems of ignorance, apathy, and lack of research because of the sheer numbers produced. I don't think these potential issues are sulcata issues, I think they are the same issues that exist for any other captive animal. We just see it more with sulcatas because of the numbers produced and bought.

I never said these types of problems don't exist in other species. Obviously, neglect and poor husbandry can occur with any species. I feel the same way about green iguanas, savannah monitors (although they're imported rather then bred), as well as large constrictors. The only reason I was targeting sulcatas in this thread was because:
1.) this is a tortoise forum
2.) compared to all other tortoise species, in terms of ease of breeding, clutch size, average "retail" cost and availability to the general public, the sulcata surpasses all others.

Russians are arguably just as readily available, if not more so. However, they stay small, which means the original owner is more likely to keep them. While smaller and arguably just as common, redfoots, yellowfoots and leopards (to name a few) don't produce as high clutch sizes and are mroe in demand because of their more vivid coloration = higher prices. IMHO, higher prices tend to deter the uneducated with money to burn.

The people who didn't do their homework and just "want a cut pet tortoise" are more likely to choose a baby sulcata for $75-100, then a redfoot for $150 or a leopard for $125. Sure the wildcaught Russian is a little cheaper, but the little hatchling sullie is cuter and starting smaller is better, right?

This is why I don't think dealing with a "perceived" sulcata issue will solve any problems. In effect, I think that would be a mediocre solution for dealing with a symptom, while completely ignoring the bigger problem of public ignorance and unscrupulous sellers.

So how do we fix it? Selling/giving them a baby sulcata with the best caresheet you can provide, a link to TFO, and your phone number & email address isn't cutting it.

Some humans just make bad decisions some times. Regulating and restricting the vast majority of the rest of the people is not a suitable solution to me.

I agree. Good points.

Tom, you posted as I was writing my last one. It sucks that some rescues are like that. But I apologize for being a little over-zealous in making the situation more than it really is. You are most certainly correct, in that there are more important things to worry about in this world than homeless or neglected tortoises.

Just wish there was a more "forceful" way to battle ignorance than just giving the information and hoping for the best.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just two points from the above: In contrast to a large iguana or monitor, a sulcata is not going to hurt anybody or suddenly run away and escape...

And I don't think "we" "fix" anything. I think what "we" do is have forums and discussions like this one and try to get people motivated to help educate the public and fellow herpers. I don't think we suggest courses of action that only serve to hurt us, while the guilty idiots continue on with their idiocy. I think this issue is dealt with on an individual personal level with each seller and each buyer. Why do you want to restrict me and my business dealings because some other seller lies and has no idea how to properly raise a baby. I say we all go after the baddies and leave the reputable people alone. We could organize phone and email campaigns. We could find people who live near the baddie go talk to them personally. We could organize boycotts and try to steer people away from the evil doers... There is lots that could be done with out inviting more ridiculous government intrusion.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I think the last thing our government needs is more regulation on anything.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Well, regarding my comparison of sulcatas to iguanas and monitors, I was mainly referring the responsibility and upkeep of a larger reptile, and the animal's welfare when being neglected, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The upkeep for my large adult outdoor lizards is about the same as the upkeep on my adult outdoor sulcatas. There really isn't much for either.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I would guess that any zoo that has sulcatas, wanted them when they were offered. They probably did get them for free and that's fine. I would also guess that these zoos with lots of sulcatas would not give them up easily.

The word "lots" is not that relative.... "Lots of sulcatas" can mean 10 or 100 for all I care, but there's not many (or any) rescues with either number in them that are eager to give them up; certainly not for free. Like Tom said, you must have missed the past debates on this where it was all sorted through. I have yet to see a rescue that has more than the occasional sulcata that would give them up easily. From what I know, the mass majority are in AZ, and are not eagerly handed out without a "more than retail" adoption fee. When I offered to go pick up 20, nobody said a word to me about bringing photos of my facility. They wanted cash and said to make sure I had a trailer to haul them in.

True...but again, how many of those friends, relatives, street corner acquaintances, etc. are really equipped to care for a tortoise? Even if they don't plan to care for them longterm, what happens to the tortoises after that? One successful breeding (accidental or otherwise) can result in 20+ babies. And say that Big Bertha and Goliath "get it on" every year accidentally. Do the math. Are the same people getting a baby year after year at the street corner, or a swap meet, or at a family gathering? Heck, if so, is it possible they're replacing the one that they got last year that may have died from poor care?

That's got nothing to do with the regulation that I was referring to.... I understand that lots of sulcatas die. I understand that there will always be people out there that take one in and aren't prepared for it. Nobody is ever going to argue that it doesn't happen, but "doing the math" doesn't mean anything to this conversation because I was talking about whether or not a law or rule should be imposed on someone. If they attempted to regulate anything about sulcatas, there would be a huge number of them still trading hands that are not going to be regulated. It's impossible to sort through them all. We all know they produce a lot. It hasn't seemed to matter because the demand is still significantly higher for all sizes. I can't keep them in stock LOL.

EDIT:
I just re-read through the poll options, and this premise is way off....

Any sellers (breeders included) should screen potential buyers thoroughly and be willing to lose a sale

How would that ever be enforced? Beyond hoping for that now, is someone going to be assigned to stand in between a buyer and seller and make sure everyone plays by the rules? Ditto goes for: Potential buyers should have to take an exam that says they acknowledge the adult size and husbandry care of a sulcata.

These might be good things to suggest to potential buyers/sellers here in the forum, but for the other 98% of tortoise selling activity that goes on, it's not going to happen.

I want to start a new poll:
1. No regulation is needed.
2. Government should put itself further into debt to battle this crisis.
3. Some rules might be nice, but I realize that nobody has the time to deal with it, so no regulation is needed.
4. Screw it, I'm moving to Panama.

Status
Not open for further replies.